Will hearing aids benefit me based on my test?

Newbie here… 72 years old. Never used HA. Was a rock 'n roll DJ for 15 years so I had headphones cranked up every day. I’m surprised I can hear mid and high frequencies at all.
Took the test at COSTCO recently and the tech believes I would benefit from HA. Recommended RIC Philips 9040. I’ve been reading posts that are very informative and searching for posts on the forum on many subjects. I’ve attached the test results and am looking for any info that might be helpful before I place the order. Please glance at my results and let me know if you see anything that might be relevant. Thanks…and Cheers!
Hearing eval 080823.pdf (198.0 KB)

List item

1 Like

I suspect hearing aids would make it easier to understand speech. The Phillips 9040 are fine aids. Just be prepared to hear a lot of sounds you haven’t been hearing that will seem extraordinarily loud. Give yourself time to get used to them.

2 Likes

Yes, I think you would benefit. Most people wait too long to start wearing aids, and the problem with waiting too long is the brain begins to lose its cognitive ability for speech comprehension when you can’t hear well enough to decipher words. You have not waited too long, but it would be to your benefit to start now, before you have another 10-20 dB loss. Costco’s advice is generally reliable. There are hearing aid chains that oversell; Costco is not one of them.

4 Likes

Similar hearing loss to me, with a similar reason (Guitarist in a Rock Band). Yes, they’ll help you a great deal. You’ll hear things you haven’t heard for years. It’s a noisy world out there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Usually the people around us know before we do that we need hearing aids. Being “hard of hearing” affects us and the people we spend time with.

DaveL

2 Likes

Do you still play?
How did you select your hearing aids? Do they work well for you listening to music?

I used to listen to music a lot; worked at concerts doing lighting during university. Somehow lost interest in music. It’s time I learned to listen again!

DaveL

1 Like

Hi Dave sorry for the late reply.

I occasionally play but rarely rehearse. We maybe gig twice a year, with one or two rehearsals before each gig as we’re all ageing :slight_smile:

I’m the lead guitarist, and I played very loud (with a very loud Mesa Boogie amp) as it was what’s now referred to as classic rock. I also saw lots of bands as well, but one day that usual Tinnutis remained more that 3 days, and has been an unwelcome friend ever since. Maybe 25 years ago.

Realisation, and UK NHS, brought me free Oticon analogue hearing aids. I loved them, and I didn’t leave taps (faucets) running any more, but when gigging, they just shut off when I walked past my amplifier, so I just took them off.

I got phonaks (Spice+) in 2015, with closed domes, like yours. These, were ok to gig with, as were Ventures with moulds in 2029. In October I got Marvels. They just don’t sound right, and they were programmed badly. Return visits didn’t improve, so 2 months ago I got Paradise P90 with slimtip moulds. I self programmed the Marvels. These are really good, generally, but I haven’t gigged with them.

I don’t play as loud as I used to, but still loud enough that I can hear without aids, but I would generally wear the Spice+ if any, as the siund most natural :slight_smile:

Peter

2 Likes

Your audiogram looks quite similar to mine (but had this all my life)- welcome to the club! Yes, afraid you definitely need HAs. Good news, they are far more comfy than even just a decade ago (amplifying only what is needed), bad news, they are a hassle, and costly.

2 Likes

@PeterH

Thanks for your response.
I used to think I was a stereophile. But I had a limited budget.

Now with hearing aids, I’ve heard so many complaints from musicians saying they couldn’t hear music well.

I was listening to music today; CD in the system. I found the music disappointing. Automatic (music program) Then I tried the “music” program on the P90’s. It was a little bitter. (Little voice said, “what?”)

I’m really happy, except for that reaction.

I haven’t played my use in a long time. Think I’ll do that.

DaveL
Toronto