Widex Moment 440 sounds like I'm underwater

My hearing loss is moderate to severe. I just trialed Oticon Reals but the sound was very thin and unpleasant to me even though I heard pretty well. With the Widex Moments it sounds as though I’m underwater. I’m using the dome that (sorry not to know the terminology) occludes the most. I had tried molds w the Oticons but bc my canals are so small it wasn’t very helpful so my Audi decided to only use domes.
Does anyone relate to the sound being underwater or like I’m in a big reverberating can? And is there anything I can do on the app that might help that until I go back to the Audi in a week. Thanks!

Your loss is mild to moderate (mostly moderate) with the very last frequency being in the severe range.

It sounds very much like Occlusion you’re suffering from. Likely because your very low frequencies are around 20 dB only.

1 Like

Thank you. Is there anything I can do w the app that might help?

I think lowering the lows will help if you have a equaliser in the App.

The Occlusion Control button within Phonak, it’s just lowers the lows, when you select it

That’s why I’m assuming lowering the lows will help. The issue might be also because you have double domes despite having better hearing loss.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll try that. I have I think. the most occluding domes. I tried the tulip ones which I believe are the next level down of occluding but there was too much environmental sound coming in

Real-ear verification.

Does putting your fingers into your ears to seal them (overtop of the hearing aids) make things sound better or worse or no different? How does your own voice sound?

1 Like

I found when hearing aids sound thin for me, they are not programmed properly. Did they do a real ear test, on the Oticon?

1 Like

They’re out for the night but I’ll do this tomorrow. With the tulip domes I had first, I definitely could hear better when I plugged my ears. I think w these there’s very little outside noise coming in so I think it won’t help when I plug them but will tell you tomorrow. Thanks!

Thank you. I’ll try that

@Tony3 Really? So what does one do? Find another audiologist? She’s so well thought of.
And yes she did a Real ear measurement. Thanks!

Do you have a smartphone? If yes then do you have the Widex Moment app installed on the phone?
The app has some limited (3 band) equalisation settings that you can try out to see what settings reduce the “underwater” sound effect.
Telling the audiologist which settings did the most reduction will help them with adjusting your hearing aids.

1 Like

@Neville When I plug my ears it sounds somewhat better. Fuller sound The difference isn’t as great as when I had more open domes. What does this say to you? Thanks!

@paul.cleary.nz I do and just opened it. It doesn’t have the simple high low and mid frequencies that you can manipulate that the Oticon has. They have Sound sense where you click on what you’ll be doing and then what you want to concentrate on. But I don’t see a place to physically change the settings other than them giving you suggestions for what you’ll be doing.I’m kind of tired now to start but hopefully I’ll have time tomorrow. Thanks!

More plugged ears sound better = not occlusion.

It sounds like you’re just missing gain somewhere. But I assume just turning up the volume doesn’t solve it?

Sorry, I’m not sure what you mean. Are you saying that if plugged ears sound better then occlusion isn’t the reason?

The Moment app has the ability to change low, mid and high frequencies independently.
The developers have not made it obvious how to get to the screen that does this.
On the main screen, click on the tiny icon immediately to the right of the main volume slider
This will take you to a screen where you can adjust the volume of each hearing aid separately.
Click on the button labelled “Equaliser” and you are taken to a screen which shows sliders for adjusting the Bass, Middle and Treble tones.

1 Like

Yes, that is what I’m saying. Occlusion typically presents as loud internal or own voice sounds when ears are plugged. If things sound better when ears are plugged, I’d suspect insufficient gain somewhere.

1 Like

Oh thank you! I didn’t see that. I’m going to meet someone for coffee in a few hours so maybe I see what I can make some changes