Widex Moment 440 fit and domes

Just got Widex 440s. So far like the sound but am having trouble with fit in my left ear. This ear only has minor hearing loss. Started with large open dome but it is a hair big and while it doesn’t fall out it also doesn’t really go in far enough. Audiologist switched today to round easywear open. While it seemed better, by late in day started to ache a bit—also seems bit more occluded than fully open. Unfortunately Widex doesn’t have a medium in the open and small goes in a bit far and tickles my ear. Anyone have any suggestions? Are there other brand of domes that fit the 440s that might be in between the small and large open?

I had tried OTC jabra 200s before the Widex and also experienced problems with fit in my left ear.

Very new to HAs and have only had Widex for little over 1 week.

there are three sizes of that open round dome, and for pretty much all of the domes widex makes. Round, round vented, sleeves, tulip etc. All have three sizes. If you liked that large open dome, maybe try the medium in that same dome? Good luck!!!

Hmm. When I looked online, it didn’t appear that the open dome had a medium. Will have to check with audiologist

1 Like

I don’t have any experience with this place but in the pic it shows 3 - https://www.hearingaidaccessory.com/shop/domes/widex-domes/

although we might be talking about two different domes, in which case I apologize!! I’m referring to the disc shaped one…but I see now you said “easy wear open” a term which I’m not familiar with!

Hi guys,always use the manufacturers website if possible to get this type information, there’s 3 sizes except for the sleeve type which has 4.

2 Likes

I wear Starkey domes with my Widex Moment 330 RIC HAs.
They can be fitted, without needing any tweaks, to the physical receivers on the HAs
Check their dome sizes out as I believe they have a greater range of sizes for each dome shape.

In the image above from tenkan, it’s the open one upper left. I’m using the large, but small is too small. Need something in between. Audiologist had me try the round open (top middle), but it seems to cause an ear ache and has too much occlusion.

Quick question about the vented sleeve dome. I’m assuming my SmartRIC uses the easywear domes. I currently have the vented sleeves but only have one 0.7mm vent in my domes not two like every single picture I see online including the Widex link above. I really need more venting (I think) and want the two vent sleeve. And I was told there are only two sizes, small and large so I currently have the large one but the link above shows four sizes. Domes are so confusing with “click”, easywear, connexx, none connexx, etc. And the spec for my HA says I have V 2.0 easy wear receivers but have also seen V3 referenced in other places regarding the latest receivers. I just can’t seem to find a Widex dome that makes my own voice NOT be so annoying and loud to me. Love the Widex for music a lot (live guitar playing) but I’m really struggling with their domes (tried open, sleeve and tulips so far). Thanks

I was gonna suggest tulips… till I got to the end of your post. Tulips were my fix for the rounds and open rounds smallest size being too big or the full opens too lose. The mild occlusion (hearing my own voice) with tulips didn’t bother me much and since gotten accustomed to it. But that’s me, and thankfully, we’re not all me!

The one thing I haven’t tried yet, but I see they easily could, is to modify the tulips. The soft material could easily be trimmed, or opposing notches in each flap to create a opening to reduce occlusion. Sure, it’d mess with the fitting some, but then a 2-hole round setting might match… it’s experimental after all.

Thanks, yeah tulips were not bad since they didn’t slide out as much. I think the sleeves are very much like a non-custom…custom hollow earmold. And I’m seeing now that the very tiny 0.8mm vent is easily plugged with ear way and the shape of the sleeves, like customs, can push earwax down into the ear canal more than tulips. I did find the tulips are sometimes not centered in the canal and behave weirdly when they happens. I think only the open bass domes, Oticon/Philips worked good for me. Easy to see ear wax and enough venting that it would not affect the sound and they didn’t slide out so easily. I tried the open Widex domes and they were terrible. First is that they are 7mm not 8 mm and the next size up is a whopping 10 mm so they really had some feedback issues. And unlike the open bass design, they are very open like the older Oticon open domes.

Signia/Rexton sleeves have 3 styles, closed (on vent like mine), power (no vents) and vented (with two symmetrical vents). Compass GPS only says there are two Widex types, vented and power and shows a double vent but mine are only single, so it’s a bit confusing and an appointment coming up to try to get the right double vent at least.

Received my vented Widex sleeved domes and I was right. They have two very large vents where the one my audi gave my are NOT Widex dome and NOT on the Compass GPS list. I believe they what Signia and Rexton call “closed” (not power) domes with one very tiny vent. I feel so much less plugged up…still hate the sound of my voice, lol. I have to remember to NOT talk loud and that helps. I ordered medium thinking that’s what I had but these are much larger so I think I had the small version and explains why I had so much trouble with them sliding out. These are a bit of a tight fit but so far I’m getting used to them and we’ll see how they are when a bit slicker with wax after one use. No increased feedback issues like the totally open dome either. They are almost like a custom hollow dome although not a custom fit of course.

1 Like

I had a visit with a different audi today at HearUSA. She gave me the small size sleeved domes, shorter wires and retention wire and they fit like a dream, comfortable and don’t slide out. Since their REM system is out, she did an insitu adjustment, feedback (for the new properly vented domes) and set the adaptation level back to 4. I’m not sure what else she did but everything is much better sounding to me now. Still have some issues with my voice which I have to get used to hearing and I think she also set it up of inexperienced not experienced. One day of use so I’ll continue to evaluate but it’s all so much better. The wires are stay nice and flush to my ear now and it’s like they are not there and I think hearing a lot better now too. All good news!

2 Likes

I had the exact same issue with new 440’s a month or so ago. I was very frustrated–my left ear, also my worst hearing ear, was hard to fit and the dome kept popping out. Part of the problem was me–I didn’t really appreciate the anatomy of my own ear canal and so was positioning it wrong. I even ordered some different types of domes to try outside of the Widex range, but they made my ears hurt and were even harder to use. The hearing tech finally switched out the wires (longer ones in my case) and I tried the small size open domes for both ears again, and everything worked great. I also tried retention wires but found them too fiddly.

I am puzzled at the lack of a “medium” sized dome between small and large. If I recall correctly it is a 2mm difference which is considerable IMHO.

Nonetheless, I just love these aids. Everything, including my own voice, sounds very natural. I have rediscovered music and can once again have a conversation without straining to hear. I am even using the tinnitus feature, and in my case I did find a tone that gives me relief. I actually hate taking them off at night…

2 Likes

Very similar experience it seems. I did try the open domes, 7mm but feedback was bad and they were a bit loose and 10mm too large for me. The long wires always meant they would stick way out from my ear. Now with the small vented sleeves I don’t think twice about them. And I’ve even found that PureSound is so much better for the sound of my own voice. PureSound is a bit touchy with feedback but not really problematic for me. And voices with PureSound are very clear. I am really out of the range that they recommend for PureSound but it really works. I will probably go back to Universal for extremely noisy situations or driving in my car because the sound classes for PureSound do not offer increased noise reduction. Even though I’ve worn HA for 2 yrs now the audi felt I should NOT be at the experienced level so she set it to inexperienced but at the top level of adaptation of 4 (I had it at 3). Seems like just the right combination of changes that made it all work for me. And I did have those non-Widex domes with the tiny vent. They are Rexton/Signia so called “closed” sleeves and not even on the audiologist choices for Widex. The bigger vents never get plugged with wax either so easy to keep clean.

Yes I wear them 16-17 hrs a day and love them too. My guitar playing sound so natural now with them unlike the Philips. I can’t ask for much more at this point.

1 Like