Why is there no discussion about Miracle-Ear hearing aids?

It goes to show that Miracle-Ear put their interest above their patients’ interest by purposefully locking out their patients’ HAs just so they can get a monopoly on dictating how their patients can get service, despite the OEM not requiring any lock out.

7 Likes

My impression of Miracle Ear hearing aids is tainted by my impression of their company years ago. My uncle, who was an insurance salesman, very quickly became a tester/dispenser of their products. I hope their employees are better trained now than he was then. Good luck in your quest for hearing help.

1 Like

When you look at this thread you come to the conclusion that for one reason or another that miracle ear =bad. How often do you see so many members on this forum have the same opinion

5 Likes

I’ll sure Miracle Ear aids are made by a reputable company.
If you get the right audiologist the odds are you are going to be fine.
The wrong audiologist and we’ll, all bets are off.
Like I’ve said, I have Audibel
Took me 31/2 years and eight audiologist before I found one that understands both me and my loss.

1 Like

I’m going to get my hearing aids from Costco. Many, many people on this forum are enthusiastic about the Costco aids. I was told that the $1300 Costco-branded pair will cost in the area of $7000 at a private audiologist’s shop. For me the nearest Costco is a two-hour drive, but for those kinds of savings the drive is worth it. See the discussion here:

1 Like

I’m in Morehead City…what costco are you going to? I thought the closest was Wilmington!
I went ahead and purchased the set from ME. I’ve already been back 3 times in about a week. I spent about $1000 more than costco but I’ve got the customer service and don’t have to try to learn all about the programs and the adjustments. If it were computer related no problem with DIY but this is for my ears and I want it right.

She set them up and my wife was taken out of the room and down the hall and she spoke a sentence at normal tone and I repeated it…my wife almost cried! She has been so amazed and now I’m asking her to lower her voice. Our TV is not around the 20s in volume whereas before it was in the 50s!

I’m hearing so many new sounds like my damn keyboard :smile:

After looking at all of this, I went the brake route…even though changing car brake parts is easy, this is something I don’t want FU so I let the pros do it. Not to mention the store is less than a mile away.

Big part to this is next year I’m off of health insurance and will be on Medicare/Medicaid and my $3K health benefit will be gone…

Thanks for all of the help and good luck with everyone…Stay Well too!!!

Morehead??!! You’re kidding. I live out on Hwy 101 and will be going to the Costco in Wilmington. I don’t like the drive on Hwy 24 through Jacksonville, but considering the cost savings I’m willing to do it.

I never considered ME aids. I don’t know why. Something about the marketing maybe, or the name of the product itself.

The hearing in my left ear is worse than yours and in my right it’s better. My right ear is probably the reason that initially I didn’t realize I needed hearing aids.

As far as the DIY aspect of hearing aids, that’s not something I’m afraid to try. In fact, I almost assuredly will try it. Besides, from what I’ve learned on this forum the aids from Costco can be adjusted remotely by the folks at Costco, so if I totally botch the setting all I have to do is call them to restore the aids to their original settings. At least that’s how I understand it.

I wish I could spend $1400 locally and get the kinds of aids Costco is selling at that price, but the ones I tried and returned earlier this year cost $2200 and were far from the most advanced set the audiologist offered. The ones at Costco apparently are premium ones.

I’m glad the ME aids work for you. Sounds like you got your money’s worth.

Small World…good to meet ya!

Yes, it’s only because of my insurance that I’m going to ME because insurance is paying a good portion…I’m writing that off as professional assistance with setting them up.

I’ve had some issues with domes and sizes and they are very close by. I call and then within hours problem solved. I do have different hearing and different frequency losses in each ear. They supposedly set the domes (different ones in each ear) for those losses.

The next ones will be at my cost since I will be FORCED to go to Medicaid next year :grimacing:

Medicaid or Medicare? I know for a fact Medicare doesn’t cover hearing aids even a little bit. I have Tricare as a co-insurnace, but what Medicare doesn’t cover Tricare doesn’t cover. Medicaid I don’t know about, but my guess would be no. I know that having an audiologist 100+ miles away is a risk and a potential problem. The fellow who is serving me isn’t an audiologist. I’ve forgotten his title but it was something like hearing aid dispenser or fitter or something, so that worries me a little. But considering the savings, I guess I can spend some time on the road if need be. I had the test and ordered the aids last week. I go back to pick them up on the 24th.

Oh, and there are definite benefits other than cost when getting them at Costco: 6-month return policy and loss replacement coverage for either one or three years. Those are major pluses.

Medicare Advantage plans can cover hearing.

Yeah, I forgot about that. I had a Humana policy that supplemented the cost of one particular pair of aids, but there were also drawbacks to the Humana policy so I opted out. Plus, the aids I’m getting from Costco cost less than what I would have paid out of pocket for the Humana pair, about $800 less.

@bluejay2025: This is exactly right, and I know @cvkemp Chuck would agree.

I realize I quote you two a lot, but this is to increase the number of places that a newbie can encounter this important lesson, in their exploration of the site.

1 Like

All the negative things said here about miracle ear and still there are those that ignore it all

1 Like

Someone posted a note who said his ME aids gave him great hearing. There is something about their branding or advertising that repels me, but who can judge ME aids better the person wearing them?

I have known many very good and very competent ME providers. I have also met some really bad ones. It is a good product, but ultimate performance depends on the provider. ME got somewhat of a bad reputation in the past when the emphasis was solely on sales and the large manpower offices would “hire them in masses, train them in classes then kick them out on their asses” and the newbies had to go knocking on doors to try and sell hearing aids. Not much of that going on anymore, although I really think there is a place for in home sales and service. I don’t care about the brand, if you find someone who listens to your concerns, uses best practices and is truly concerned about your hearing happiness, you should be a happy hearing aid user.

2 Likes

I met a miracle ear representative. He saw my hearing aids and offered to clean them for free. When I responded by saying what he banged his hand on the table and said…What ah ha ha ha what… Need I say more

Hello, from Morehead from a while ago. I was just wondering if your hearing aids can stream from your TV. I want this capability but I don’t want to spend $250 for a box to connect to the TV so it will stream to my HA even when the TV has BT.
I’m trying to find some good HAs that will directly stream without having to purchase a “specialized” BT transmitter.

Thanks and hope you’re doing well!

There’s potential for what you want with Auracast and LE Audio, but I don’t think it’s quite ready for primetime. Cheapest way would be to buy a used streaming box compatible with whatever hearing aid you want to wear.

1 Like

Phonak/Unitron aids will probably do what you want. You might find latency (audio delay) an issue. If you have or can borrow a pair of BT buds or headphones to connect to your tv, that will give you an idea

1 Like

Miracle-Ear, Inc. is a hearing aid and hearing care company consisting of a network of franchised and corporately-owned retail locations. The company is a subsidiary of Amplifon, the worldwide leader in hearing care and hearing aid retail based in Milan, Italy