Why Is It When I Purchase Hearing Aid Batteries from Amazon, The Boxes Are Always Opened?

I am getting a little teed off here and will probably report this one as well to Amazon authorities. Ever since I started ordering hearing aid batteries from Amazon, every single box I have ordered comes opened.

Why is this? Why don’t they come sealed? What happened to being sealed and brand-new?

Buy batteries from the Hearing Tracker store instead, if you can. They’re drop-shipped from Oaktree, the big audiology supplier. If Hearing Tracker doesn’t cover where you live, pay special attention to the actual Amazon seller, even if their orders are fulfilled by Amazon. The seller is giving Amazon open boxes of batteries to send you.

One of the problems with Amazon fulfillment is they mix all the items together from different sellers when different sellers have the same items. Then it becomes impossible to know which seller(s) are providing counterfeit or otherwise second class products sold as the real deal. I’ve had trouble with coin batteries and will only buy Amazon branded batteries now. I imagine the same problem exists with your purchase.

WH

2 Likes

I’ll have to look into that hearing tracker store mentioned!

I’ve had decent luck with the amazon branded batteries. I’ve been using them for a few years I guess…
I ordered some brand name batteries a couple times on amazon, and had sketchy results. In one case I can remember, the batteries seemed like they must have been old… life was significantly short. I don’t recall what the date was on them, etc… I believe the date code was fine, but they were trash.
INterestingly enough I’ve had similar poor performance from other batteries bought through amazon (AA batteries, etc…) We routinely use amazon branded AA, AAA, and 9v cells. The amazon branded ones are consistently ok, but pretty much any name brand battery I’ve ordered through amazon has given poor performance. I will say that I get the feeling that the amazon cells probably don’t have quite as good of a life as some fresh premium brand name cells, but they are consistently ok.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Size-Hearing-Batteries-60-Pack/dp/B07CP46T5W/ref=sr_1_1_ffob_sspa?crid=1IL4YOBM79L8Y&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.F1CvHE8PAaKFDDt_0iyBTihlC96rRj3EpnQ99vKvZKQeRSj-sMTckE9QZsKGplM5_kizMxoScQCHDZj_upJw_DXVmDmwv7ZQC6NbHelJCGtxCTW8-LxW7suegF6SrbQj9esCBCPEgnT4gLu5br_W_FnWx9b715SXyWfjtrP89LOKCcegKa0NeyLZ82xklLIrhXNGBX8KrOXxAB9p4Os2pxbaPsfbW93Wqwy2nbiP4LnbeHA5bwfBctm5nuOWVHMtCSrMcDioHjoO2oOngEbJPdClZjnmWfEKbm6EF99lyZE.tpc_bzVvvmMCWM0qC3hkAO-ZUZFYvgJ-HNO6pNJtzZs&dib_tag=se&keywords=hearing+aid+13+battery&qid=1712403950&sprefix=hearing+aid+13%2Caps%2C742&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I only buy Varta Batteries, they are made in Germany… Under the name (Power one) In fact, I found a 6 pack, of 675’s in a drawer last week, they where 2 years out of date, I popped a couple in, as I was in a hurry, they still lasted over a week, but not the usual 10 to 12 days I get from newer batteries… I can probably count on the 1 hand, of any battery failures I have had, over many years using Varta… They all come via Amazon. Cheers Kev :smile:

2 Likes

I also buy Varta PowerOne batteries (size 13), from Amazon. I buy the 10 pack of six batteries (ie, 60 batts). I’ve never had a problem, and they always come in a sealed box.

I change them once a week, even though they last longer. When the battery is getting low in my hearing aid (Phonak), I get the beep-beep warning, and then about a minute later it goes dead. My old aids (also Phonak) would give me two or three sets of beep-beep warnings over a few minutes, giving me time to change them at my convenience. Now that this aid goes dead so quickly, I’d rather do a preventative changing once a week, rather than have it go dead at a possibly inconvenient time.

A box lasts me over a year, costs $16 (what is that, like .25/batt?), so who cares if it could have lasted another day or two.

But to answer your question, they’ve never arrived in an open box.

2 Likes

Hi There,
I buy my batteries from Amazon, and my boxes are always sealed.
Don’t know what brand you buy.
Mine are Power One batteries.

Laura

4 Likes

Mine are Power One and Rayovac. Have ordered at least 10 boxes from Amazon and they have never been sealed and have always been open box. Power Ones are usually at the 50-60% level in the Oticon app. I’ve recently switched to Rayovac after being disgusted with Amazon’s lack of policing the new vs. open box items (also open boxed…despite not being marked renewed) and I still got open boxed batteries. But at least the Rayovacs are 90-100% in the Oticon Companion app.

So sorry to hear that.
As far as the Oticon app and battery life,
Mine also shows something like 80 to 90% and that’s right after I install new batteries.
I was told, not sure if this is true, but the Oticon app battery life is only accurately on rechargeable batteries.
Laura

Boxes of batteries I receive from Oaktree (drop-ship fulfillment of Hearing Tracker Shop order) don’t have a seal on the box. It’s just a thin cardboard box with a top flap that tucks in. The individual packs of batteries aren’t quite sealed, but I think you could see if someone had lifted the battery access flap before you got them.

Amazon barcodes everyone’s inventory, so I am not sure they are mixing these items. However, some sellers buy bulk and then re-package for retail sale. And I think some re-sell returns that have been opened. I definitely vote for checking out third party seller’s ratings as there is a ton of counterfeiting. There are certain things I won’t buy on Amazon for that reason. Like you I have had better luck with Amazon branded coin batteries and similar.

Amazon commingles inventory from sellers of the same ASIN. This is discussed in many places complaining about counterfeits. I found one that discusses commingling here.

WH

2 Likes