Why are hearing aids so bad at streaming music?

Yes, I got plenty of time to do many things for myself. You, on the other hand, barely got time to read the forum’s guidelines.

Curious, what are am i missing here? I only see one post from Spuds and he agrees and posts…“exactly”. His reply didn’t take the thread into a different direction. The post he agreed to is right on and contains a perfect explanation of the OP’s question. If we are at the point where someone can’t post “exactly” in reply to such an awesome explanation, then count me out. If I want nazi like enforcement I can find that on Twitter or Facebook. Don’t need it here

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll try what you suggested

Not sure what you are saying??

@mr.smithster: Thank you for that! Regulars know in what high regard I hold @Volusiano because - not only does he know the answer - he’s extremely generous with his time, always crafting an articulate and understandable explanation, to his credit and the benefit of all Members, be they scientifically-minded or not.

Rather than say “I agree” (for I do have a middling grasp of Physics), I do a Laurel and Hardy-esque Exactly!

Been doing it for a year, and there’s no harm done.

7 Likes

No need to worry about enforcement, my intervention was meant to be a satire of what @SpudGunner was trying to do in a different thread. Here’s the context for you:

Since you asked, I was referring to a regulation suggesting that Spud, rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button.

I think it also says not to post off topic, but here we are…

4 Likes

Well, I have a Phonak Brio 5, Costco brand, and let me tell you; from In my own experience, your statement doesn’t apply to me. I use an iPhone SE 2022, and Apple Music delivers lossless even over cellular streaming. I have an automatic Dolby Atmos for any connection. Pretty much I am satisfied with the quality of my HAIDs streaming music and phone calls.

1 Like

My favorite music streaming “kit” includes my Phonak TV Connector plugged into a Goal Zero flip 12 power bank and an Astell&Kern music system. Yes, it’s a lapful when on the plane.

Plan B for workouts at home is to just stream my Phonak aids directly to my One+ Android phone. It sounds pretty good to ME. But then I have cinderblock ears, so everything is relative.

As Volusiano mentions: perfect SEAL is key to really rich sound. Lucky folks without my kind of hearing loss can take their aids out and just use really good ear buds. But me? The sound would be SO LOUD the pilot would tell me to “PIPE DOWN OUT THERE!”
:neutral_face:

1 Like

I run into that even with custome molds. My loss is bad enough that my gains, specially on my bad ear, can be heard by others around me.

2 Likes

I knew that, but our comments are qualitatively different. There is non-compliance because of ignorance of the guidelines and then there is non-compliance because of respect to the guidelines. Another way to say this is that, ultimately, my intervention should make us all follow the guidelines while his will not.

Crikey what gives here?
I’m beginning to dislike a lot of what your saying after I read your posts, if you don’t like the way things are going here on this thread or others, why not just move on… why snipe? there’s no need for arrogance or “self entitlement” here, it’s quite possible you got off on the wrong foot with some forum members, but… seriously kiss and make up, you need to consider that not everyone has the same outlook as you, and your right, we do sometimes bend the rules and even go off topic (like now) but no harm done in the long term.

Like your for real !

5 Likes

Actually your post was totally off subject while Spuds was on target and I think he just was emphasizing a thumbs up.
At this point if you really want to follow the rules, you should open a new thread and this can be discussed further in that thread.

2 Likes

To close off this subject, your picture of your underarm is very unappealing.

3 Likes

@maggie07: Exactly, maggie … Exactly!

1 Like

Quite possible is an understatement, ha. I was mistreated by Spud, but you’re right, I’ll let bygones be bygones. My reasoning is the following. I won’t bully poor Spud anymore, not because I don’t want to come accross as arrogant and not because I want you to like me—I don’t derive much pleasure from being liked in a random forum on the internet—but only because I’m not having fun without a worthy adversary in this fight I have been pulled into.

What’s wrong with my underarm?

All good, fantastic we can now discuss the issue at hand.

I still think that the OP just needs some further adjustments, I’ve had to make quite a few on a number of different brands to get where I think the music sounds pretty good, not perfect but good enough for me to sing along.

Hearing aids ‘use the same drivers’……

Yes, mechanically the same/similar but:

Different impedance - hearing aid drivers are designed to minimise current use.
Different voltage; operating at 1.2v gives considerable limitations.
Different peak output design - maximising speech around 2.6KHz to emulate canal resonance and also be most effective for speech intelligibility.
Some Audio drivers also use two or more receiver units with different resonant peaks; just like a multi transducer speaker with crossovers.

The same technology underpins a standard Ford truck and my SL; I know which one speeds up and slows down better though.

2 Likes

@Um_bongo: Thanks for explaining this - I was left scratching my head when I read that the transducers were the same in HAs and IEMs!

(Pray tell - what’s an SL? Are you referring to the Mercedes Sportster?)

1 Like

Yes 2002 500 V8.

My Summer vehicle.

2 Likes