Whistling of new Phonak hearing aid

Hello,

I finally get a hearing aid for right ear, after wearing only one for left ear for years. Today is the first day I have the new right ear hearing aid, and I notice that it has whistling noise whenever it gets closer to anything like when my head rests on sofa, when I put on my hoodie or even shake my head. The existing left ear hearing aid doesn’t have this issue. Do you know the reason? Thanks.

It’s called feedback, are you using domes or a custom mold, if domes and they are closed,try pushing the dome into your canal a bit more, if there open you need to see your clinic to make sure you have the correct fit, post your audiogram if you can.

2 Likes

I am using custom mold, for both ears. But only the right ear one which is new has feedback.

Ok so you shouldn’t be getting feedback with this, especially with the mold as it looks like only a small vent ( less then 1mm?) sound is leaking out somewhere and causing it, in profound loss it’s not unusual to a little bit of feedback when your ear gets close to something, but just shaking your head shouldn’t, you should go back to your fitter and ask for them to redo the feedback test at least and then check the mold for correct fit, I think most people find this aspect of a hearing aid very annoying, including those around us!

2 Likes

I agree, repeat feedback test. I find Phonak has very good control of feedback. Most feedback issues are on the low frequency gain side. I have .8mm vents in custom ear molds, No issues with feedback,

1 Like

I get a build up of wax in only one ear. I have tried all of the OTC remedies to no avail. I go to my ENT every two months to get it cleaned out. Wax build up will cause feed back. If all else fails go to an ENT.

Audiologists do wax removal also. Mine does, at least.

My audiologist checked my ears occasionally to see if any ear wax. I think the reason of the feedback on my new hearing aid is fitting. I pushed it in, and most of the feedbacks are gone.

I think the mold needs some sort of retention, like a concha lock. I had a similar problem and ended up getting a skeleton mold to hold the mold in tight.

2 Likes

Sure sounds like the new ear mold does not fit your ear well. A new ear mold impression might need to be done.

I always liked canal lock type ear molds.