Which factors influenced your decision on brand?

I’m moving forward with my cochlear implant. I had my evaluation and I am a candidate. I still need to have a CT scan but that is the last step before surgery. The surgeon at MEE would not make a recommendation as to brand. I’ve been doing research and talking to reps from Advanced Bionics and Cochlear Americas. Naturally I like different aspects of both brands. I think I’ve moved beyond research into confusion.

There are so many knowledgeable CI users on this forum. Could you share which factor (or two) settled you on one brand over the other? I realize it is a personal decision but any guidance/thoughts would be appreciated.

Congratulations on making the decision to move forward with CI, it’s a big decision and step in your life.

Most here are Cochlear America but there are AB and MedEl users too.

You mentioned a surgeon but have you picked out a CI audiologist you are happy with? What is their opinion?

Pending on where you live, which brand gives the best support?

All brands are good and maybe one has technology you like better. Reliability is the most important thing to me.

Good luck with this.

No pressure…your decision is the rest of your life. :grin:

2 Likes

Congratulations on making the decision to improve on your hearing.
I have CA (Australia) I agree with everything @Raudrive has said.
Think about your family life. What device would suit best.
Think about your social life.
Think about your work life, phone calls, conferences, meetings etc. Do you want to have to carry around assistive listening devices as well?
Do you want direct streaming?
Think about the device that’s had the less recalls on the internal device. This means you don’t need to be reimplanted sometime in the future.

I’m exceptionally happy with CA, and my N7. If I need parts I make a phone call and I have them early next morning. So customer service is also very important in your decision.

As long as you are aware that rehab is very important to you have a great result from your CI.
Good luck to you on your new hearing journey.

3 Likes

I was activated Dec 16 of 2022, so not too long ago. I did a lot of research, talked with reps from all three companies. When I did a deep dive into the “recall” issue, all brands have challenges over time so I didn’t regard that. As long as they cover the expense and fix it. I have a hearing aid on the other side and wanted it to connect o my CI seamlessly, which AB does with the Phonak Link HA. Bluetooth from both ears. Also there is room for expanding technology on the internal array which appeals to me. Customer service is great from all I have read and experienced. Bottom line is all brands will do the job. Over time the advantage each has will switch among the brands, so I went with what looks best to me now. I am very happy with my AB CI and the Link HA and having good early results. Good luck with the decision process. I felt much better after all was decided.

3 Likes

With Cochlear being local in Australia, support would be the be the most accessible on a personal basis.

They were highly recommended by my surgeon and audiologist, even though they do support all three of the major brands.

The CI is my only access to sound, so any consideration for compatible bimodal setups was a non-issue - that simplified things.

2 Likes

Ha Ha. Its that the rest of your life that makes a tough decision even tougher. I need to make the decision on what is “today” but things change so (relatively) quickly these days there is a tendency to guess about the future.

@Deaf_piper Frankly, after not being able to understand conversation for several years my social life s…cks. That’s why I’m getting the CI. I’m retired and only work one month a year. But I understand your point. In fact that gets to the heart of my decision. I like the connectivity of AB. That would be a big improvement over my current hearing aids. But I like CA smaller and off the ear processor. They seem to have a more “let us help you” approach.
@joanhawsey I don’t like the number of recalls AB has had. Even if the recall doesn’t involve reimplantation, it paints a bad picture of the company’s operation and priorities. Sorry, my business background is showing. As far as after implantation support, there is very little available here in Maine but Boston is less than 100 miles away. I need to talk with the one place in Maine that does implants to find out what they have to say.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience and wisdom.

I wore and self programmed Phonak aids for many years. The hands free phone calls with Phonak is really nice.

When I talked to my surgeon he recommended CA. Then my audiologist also recommended CA. Support from CA has been great, they have gone out of their way to help on many occasions before and after the surgery.

I have the N7 and K2 processors, both are very nice. I also use an Android phone with no issues from CA. No intermediate devices needed. Nothing hanging around my neck or in my pocket necessary which has been very nice.

Battery life with CA has been fine too. The K2 processors last a good 2.5 days if needed before charging. The N7 standard batteries lasted more than a full day for almost two years. At that time CA helped me get new batteries with my insurance. Very nice.

We each have our own thoughts on things. You are thinking things out well so an informed decision will happen.

2 Likes

One thing that helped me was joining each brand’s Facebook page and getting input from users of all brands. I posed my questions and concerns and got some helpful feedback. website cochlearimplanthelp.com is also very helpful. They have a comparison chart among brands.

1 Like

70% would be locally patient support available…

the rest of 30% is risking oversea/online purchase. And if anything not right, you adds more cost.

If all else equal, every brands available. I will check this forum for review, mostly.

1 Like

My decision was largely based on Market share. Who owns and makes the majority of these, and what vendor is everyone using. I was also curious if any of the other manufacturers make a superior product. All the answers I received told the same story - they are all about the same. None of them have better success, clarity, or features than any other.

2 Likes

Simply put, who got the best external sound processor technology and internal device reliability…
I have the n7 and n8 and very pleased with it…

1 Like

I’ve worn Phonak aids too and I do love that hands free phone.

I would love to have a recommendation from my surgeon but that is not going to happen. I know that whatever decision I make it will be a vast improvement over the current situation but it would be nice to have a nudge in one or the other direction.

No intermediate devices with the phone seems to be available from both manufacturers. I don’t mind using a tv streamer when watching tv. But I don’t like having to move that streamer if I want to listen to my ipad or my computer. Also, do you hear well enough to understand a one on one conversation with your health care provider or other service provider? Right now I have to use a personal mic in those situations.

Yes, I like that comparison chart – lots of info

Local support is thin in Maine. The place that is reasonably close won’t see me for a year. I still have one more place to call in NH for more “local” info.

At MEE where my surgeon is their implants are 50% AB, 40% CA and 10% ME. i haven’t looked globally but I’m sure you are right, they are all about the same.

You don’t think AB’s ability to connect to any blue tooth device makes it “the best” sound processor technology? How would I judge that?

When you refer to local support, are you referring to the surgeon or the follow up mapping of your CI? I travelled 5 hours to Vanderbilt in Nashville because they a leader in CI research and I had the ability to do the travel. I live in a small, rural town, so a “Local” AuD who is well versed in AB mapping is about 45 minutes. The CI company reps can help with finding those for you.

As for “best” sound processor, you nailed it. When I evaluated, I determined that AB did based on my understanding and research. @SSA is much more technically oriented, so his understanding may have led him in a different direction.

“Conversation with health provider”: Just this past week I had my first Dr appt post CI. I was astounded that I never asked “what” through the appointment and both nurse and Dr. were masked. That was a huge tell for me! The other day I was cooking with my back to my family at the table and my daughter asked me to bring her something. I responded right away and she was astonished “Mom, I was prepared to repeat but didn’t need to.” lol little victories. Does this happen all the time? No, but I’ll take improvement any day.

LE Audio is replacing bluetooth classic and have very low power consumption. Cochlear is the most forward thinking tech company i have ever seen and they look 10 years down the road, see bluetooth broadcasting and bluetooth LE Audio.

Coincidentally I just came across a promo of theirs for LE Audio on Youtube. Hearing aid manufacturers pretend that they’ve never heard of it.

1 Like