When you move your jaw, does it make your tinnitus "louder"?

I don’t know if this is something that all tinnitus sufferers experience or not, but when I make an effort to move my jaw far to the right or left, the opposite ear experiences the Tinnitus squeal at a ‘volume’ that is easily five-fold louder. Which makes it easier to pinpoint the frequency, but is exceptionally disconcerting when laying on my side on a pillow.

It is an experience like this that make me feel that there may be a physiological solution to my tinnitus, as opposed to the mental gymnastics that everyone espouses.

Does this happen with you?

In my case, it does.

I have a disorder in my jaw, and if i´m not careful, i have severe “cracking” in my jaw. When it cracks, the tinnitus gets insanely loud. I did special jaw-gymnastics to learn to avoid the cracking.

When sleeping, the tinnitus gets louder on the side I lie on, so i lie on my “better” ear. I have a special pillow that allows minimum pressure to the jaw when lying (is that correct? I mean that when I do lie …) on the side. I cannot lie on my front side because then the pressure to the jaw is too strong.

Here in germany one of the first things a doctor says to you when you have tinnitus is “do you have problems whith your jaw”, there surely is a direct connection, and there are lots of things you can do about that!

Best regards,

Musician_72

Interesting! I’ll do some research on the relationship between the jaw and Tinnitus. Thanks!

Incorrect occlusion can cause Tinnitus indirectly by causing stiffness in neck and shoulder region muscles. I suggest you go to your dentist to have a look at your occlusion. You could also try voice massage.

I have incorrect occlusion myself (I need an operation) and I went to voice massage for a few times and started to take more care of my shoulder and neck muscles. I haven’t had Tinnitus since :slight_smile:

Sounds like TMJ.

I had it huge when I had my Meniere’s bouts. Now, it a bit like a theremin and keyed to my heartbeat --be kinda scary if it went away. :rolleyes: A cough, hard swallow or such can sound a gong. Sleeping on my right side adds volume if the little knob at the ear entrance is pressured. I can press that nob and it gets briefly louder but at time it helps reduce the volume for a bit.

When I open my jaw wide, the tinnitus increases in both ears. Move it to the side, just the opposite ear. Not a lot though – 6dB maybe. You asked!

Just tried that and it gets louder when I open my jaw wide. Never noticed that before. My tinnitus is so constant, I only notice when I am overtired or stressed that it really gets loud. I fly a lot (over 50 flights a year) and constantly have pressure problems in my ears which does not help at all.

Yes, definitely, when I move my lower jaw forward I get a significant increase in loudness.