What would you do in a storm with rechargeable hearing aids?!

I realize that you love your rechargeables. I have no trouble understanding why some people prefer them. If no one liked rechargeables then I wouldn’t be worried that disposables will go away completely.

Connected to Bluetooth and Using Bluetooth are two very different things.

2 Likes

I am streaming at least 7 hours each day. I read and listen to books almost continuously. In fact I have already doubled my yearly goal of books read and listening to. This year so far I have read/listened to 120 books with. An average listening time of 7 hours each.

@cvkemp

That’s really good for you but your hearing loss is not in the profound range so Altho you have 105 dB receivers, your gain levels won’t be as much as someone in the profound range.

Also everyone is individual. Despite you having no issues, it doesn’t dispute other people who are having issues.

Altho you feel rechargeable’s are the best thing ever, they can/could cause issues for other people.

My size 13 batteries last less than 2 days on the Bluetooth side so clearly rechargeable’s are a concern for me.

2 Likes

More than likely with your hearing loss you would be hard pressed to get aids that are rechargeable. But I know that the technology is improving daily. And there is change a foot that will soon outlaw disposable batteries. This change is foolish and unnecessary but what can we do when governments politicians are being paid by greedy corporations to screw the citizens.

1 Like

Is that the same as this:

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/rechargeable-lumity-life-not-holding-its-charge-anymore/73585/93?u=x475aws

I asked you for more information, and you said you’d asked for it.

Yep there was a time I was down on my rechargeable aids. But the VA and Oticon replaced the aids and I haven’t had any problems since. I have taken trips, camping, and cruises. I haven’t had any issues.

I had issues.

Hospital procedure. I got to stay overnight. My rechargeable HA’s are Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s. I get 15 hours regularly…But that’s all. In at 8:30 first day. Left about 11:00 am next day.

I also couldn’t hear in the admission ward. Stretched out on my back, I could hear well behind me; couldn’t hear the doc at the foot of the bed. That was because my audiologist who dispensed them didn’t set them up right.

My preference would have been to have replaceable batteries. Mine are rechargeable.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

@Zebras

You’re right. I couldn’t

I was admitted at 8:30 am first day. Stayed overnight. Left about 11:00 next day.

I also couldn’t hear in the admission and recovery ward the way that my Paradise P90R
s were set up.

Good memory! My audi never asked which battery source I wanted. It’s a miracle he got approval for new hearing aids for me before I was due for new in workman’s comp program. It was a disaster that he never set them up right† for 2 years.

DaveL
Toronto

All I’m aware of is that the Phonak Audeo Lumitys don’t have a disposable battery model. Can anybody give examples of specific brands and models that don’t offer disposable (other than Phonak Lumity)?

@MDB

My Phonak Audeo Paradise P90’s were available with disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries. They were also available with a coil.

When my new-at-the-time audiologist said he would help he never discussed my preferences. I have a workman’s comp claim. i can get new HA’s every 5 years. Mine were only about 2 years old.

He actually performed a miracle getting new hearing aids early for me. I plan to have the old hearing aids setup as back-ups.

My Paradise P90 R’s finally work really well. It’s taken two years and I’ve had to switch to a new hearing aid provisioner.

1 Like

Here you go, not everyone is a VA member and certainly not everyone is able/can afford to have his/her HA replaced, since rechargeable HA have a high turn around at the HCP, see Dr Cliff Hanger’s youtube video and see KS10 Costco posts.
Not saying there shouldn’t be rechargeable HA, quiet the opposite, but manufacturer should be fair and shouldn’t discriminate against having HA with disposable batteries, there is place for both and should be made available to all (looking at you Phonak/Unitron/Sonova).

For this post, not sure what the OP is trying to achieve, Naida & Xceed aren’t rechargeable so no problem on that side, luckily you can get at least 8 days from 675 batteries, so you will be out of most storms (me thinking, apart from the one that hit Noah***, I guess).
If Naida/Xceed were rechargeable, then a power-bank will certainly help, as do @markoo355 suggestion (which is a brilliant solution as well).
Not to mention that local authority (Wales/England/Scotland/NI) will certainly have an emergency plan to help people in difficult situation, like shelter everyone in library/gymnasium… with hot drink/food blankets and electric power for their portable devices.
In nutshell, there will be good people that will help others. :wink:

1 Like

As stated, I said it looks like most HAs WILL be rechargeable by the way things are going.

I also said WHAT WOULD YOU DO because most HAs seem to be going rechargeable.

Honestly it’s like Chinese Whispers even tho people are reading!

I also stated, it’s not actually about charging, my question. Power banks are extremely common these days.

:slight_smile:

You completely understand what this thread is about.
Did you find a solution to what to do in case you end up in hospital again?
(Apart from to remember to carry your charger around with you at all times.)

2 Likes

So what is wrong with telling the truth? I tell it like it is.

2 Likes

@Zebras Apologies, there must be sum tin wong wiz mi today :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@cvkemp Nothing wrong.

I’m hardly a shill for “the industry”. Come on. I moved from replaceable battery aids to rechargeables and have been delighted. All of the trepidations that I had before have proved to be nothing to worry about. That’s all.
I admit that I find the "what if there’s a catastrophe’ arguments against rechargeable aids to be annoying. For heaven’s sake, all of the arguments against these aids in a life or death scenario could be made about cell phones. Most of us have come to accept that we have to recharge our cell phones and do so without much trouble. It’s the same with rechargeable aids. Easy peasy.
And by the way, I could imagine life or death scenarios where my disposable battery aids weren’t available because of unforeseen circumstances. A tree could fall on my car during an earthquake. That’s not a reason to not buy a car.
I think that all of us who are used to replaceable battery aids forget how we had to adjusts our habits to accommodate the need to replace batteries. It became second nature. It’s exactly the same with rechargables.
And please: stop telling me I’m a shill for the industry because I have a different opinion from you. Come on.

2 Likes

The question is posed as if we’re living in the past. I have an EV truck in my garage with a 131 kWh capacity Li-ion battery. The truck has multiple AC and USB outlets in it (even a 240-volt outlet that can supply 7.2 kW in the truck bed and a “frunk” outlet that can supply 240-volts at 2.4 kW). I can power much of my house for at least 10 days with the truck during a power outage-I don’t need to go to the truck to get electricity-it feeds its power to our electrical panel in an outage). 131 kWh is 131,000,000 mAh. Most HA rechargeable batteries probably aren’t more than a few hundred mAh capacity. So I could keep any rechargeable HAs powered for a really long time using my EV. I also could use my wife’s ICE vehicle battery, either of my two uninterruptible computer power supplies, which have lead acid batteries in them, a 25,000 mAh Li-ion battery pack I own, or a fold-up solar panel.

Even EVs not designed to be a source of utility power could keep rechargeable HAs and smartphones going for quite a while in an emergency.

Folks should worry about how they’re going to keep their cell phones charged up because in an outage, finding out what’s going on out in the world via cell phone could be very helpful in dealing with the situation - more essential than hearing aids (cell towers usually keep running in outages-they have their own backup generators-and you can surf the web on your phone and find out what’s going on by reading). In the February 2021 Texas winter power outage, we didn’t have heat or electricity for 2 1/2 days (the house temperature dropped to 44 deg F). We kept our smartphones charged from our car batteries, and my HA charging case kept my hearing aids charged the whole time (ReSound rechargeables run for 30 hours of use on a full-charge, too). If one thinks there might be some need to remove hearing aids to charge them during the day, just keep a backup set to wear while your regular-use ones are being recharged.

3 Likes

This thread is nothing to do with how to charge them.

Charging things ‘off grid’ has come on over the years and is well known.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

The title of the thread is “What would you do in a storm with rechargeable hearing aids?!” How could that not be about how to charge them - that’s what most of the replies in the whole thread are about. What, then, is the thread about? My rechargeables NEVER ran out of charge during the day, and I could charge them while I slept if I wanted. Perhaps running out of charge during the day is only something Phonak rechargeable users really have to worry about - whether there is an outage on the horizon or not.

As several posters have suggested, you have to learn what the requirements are for the care and feeding of the type of HAs you use and adapt. You plan ahead and don’t wait until a storm to figure out what you should have made contingency plans for. The answer for either type of HA could be as simple as stock up on disposable batteries or buy a good-sized Li-ion battery pack (both inexpensive options). And always keep your previous set of HAs as a backup if your daily use set goes down (or needs to be recharged or have its disposable batteries replaced at an inconvenient moment). I got the truck because I didn’t like freezing for 2 1/2 days and the wife didn’t want a portable (or built-in) gas or gasoline generator for fear of carbon monoxide or a fire or explosion.

2 Likes