What would you do in a storm with rechargeable hearing aids?!

@1Bluejay

I have two of those wonderful Tilley hats. Wool. They have two earflaps and I have no feedback. They have a flap for the forehead too. And strap for under the chin, and behind the head too. I’ve used Tilley hats in many of our convertibles. Mr Tilley’s business was sold by his kids after he passed. If you find one better buy it as a spare! I’ve seen cheaper hats being released by them. I still have my first Tilley hat. It’s provided great service when I was sailing or canoeing. Rain is almost bearable.

Dave

1 Like

Same here, my hearing aid only lasts for 12 hours, so I’m always worried that it will run out of power during the day. I was wondering if you have any solutions.

1 Like

How are you using your aids that they only last 12 hours?

I have rechargeable aids and they use the same sized and voltage battery as non rechargeables. So keep a pack of standard aid batteries on hand and use those if your charger is not functioning. The batteries are interchangable.

1 Like

I’m glad yours are. My Phoak rechargeable are sealed in. Paradise P90R

Any HA with an IPxx rating, which is most rechargeables these days, are sealed and the battery welded.

Elsewhere in this forum you can see where I open mine and removed the sealant from the rechargeable battery.

2 Likes

OK. You are a SURVIVOR! Glad the battery aids gave no issues in that bitter c-c-c-cold. I totally get how you wanted to lead by example with the community service corps.

FORGET the warm hat. I think a copy of Ceasar Millan’s book “Be the Pack Leader” would’ve been useful in that situation! :wink:

There may even be a tip for how to manage anxiety by living in the present. Not to diminish the sensation for a moment … but that is a technique that has worked for me.

2 Likes

Yes, they are TRULY AMAZING!! For me, they provided sun protection where I lived over a mile high, plus warmth without feedback. I had them in a couple colors, and altho I now live in the TROPICS … my Tillys have come with me cuz who knows? A trip to Canada may be in the stars, LOL!

1 Like

I can only add that MY rechargeable Phonak Lumity Life aids also gave me just 11 hours a day of use … UNTIL I read right here about the importance of the cell phone OS (operating system). My Android phone had OS 12 on it, and just by downloading and installing OS 13, I now get 17.5 hours of daily use.

2 Likes

@AtlantaNative

VOLUME CONTROL

HEARING IN A DEAFENING WORLD

David Owen

He talks about price of premium hearing aids

IIRC it’s $1700

Cost to make it was less than $100

And Sharkey founder became a billionaire Suggests a huge profit margin

My apologies. I made few notes in the book. Observation—it’s not in the index

Edit: Foundit!

Hardcover book.

Page 193

“….It costs the manufacturer less than a hundred dollars to make them”

Quoting the author, David Owen who quotes DianneVan Tassell

Fire season has started early here in Australia. I can understand a person in the bush/outback wanting to be able to change HA batteries when they run low rather than risk missing a crucial evacuation order / bushfire warning. Maybe catastrophes are low probability for most of us but living remotely can be hazardous.

4 Likes

So so so true. :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

Yes, the dirty secret. HAs are vastly overpriced by at least a factor of 300, by my guessing. So now you just get a replacement aid when the rechargeable batteries fail?? And they charge you another 250 for the pleasure? Watta racket. I’ll stick with my old rechargeable with standard sized HA batteries until it or me drops dead.

2 Likes

I have 2 sets of old Phonaks with interchangeable batteries.

They are precious. My last audiologist that quit set up the older set for me. So I have those at spares.

My new practitioner has promised me to set them up again when he finally does a full hearing test. That’s generous of him. Sincerely. Workman’s Comp won’t pay for that, even if it could be life saving.

3 Likes

Should be easy to get a new set of hearing aids. Nope. It was more stressful than getting the first one!

Should be plug and play.

DaveL

1 Like

I assume that with, to date, 147 replies, no one has supplied a satisfactory answer to the question, “What would you do in a storm with rechargeable hearing aids?!” Therefore I step in to offer a definitive answer:

I would read a book.

7 Likes

We have a winner…

Post must be at least 20 characters long…

1 Like

You’re lucky to have them. When people defend rechargeables by saying “you can always go back to your disposable battery spares” they ignore the new cohort of users who don’t have spares with disposable batteries.

Also, they ignore the fact that spare aids are older and probably don’t help as much.

Also, defending a new technology by saying you can always fall back to the old technology isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement.

4 Likes

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Post must be…….

3 Likes

My hat is off to Zebras

She’s the winner for asking. She made me think. Like I used to when I was a pro photographer in film days.

Before I started out I would ask, “What could shut me down?” Batteries. Film. Camera. Spare Camera. Strobe. Charged…and on and on. Zebras question is so helpful. It made me think that way.

I had my own experience where I was admitted overnight for a heart procedure.
I have sleep apnea. NO, can’t use cpap. My monitor flat lined and two came running. Point is stuff happens.
I wished I had replaceable batteries in my HA’s. Future? I bet we won’t have a choice.

2 Likes