What would you do in a storm with rechargeable hearing aids?!

I think you might be missing the point @jeffrey, in simple terms, rechargeable aids aren’t made for the severe/profound threshold, 105db receivers don’t cut the mustard, unfortunately they are too weak, and battery drain is too high, you will keep blowing receivers with custom moulds, because they are permanently maxed out! I have tried rechargeable aids, but in adverse conditions like minus -1’C the BMS can cut in, switch both aids off, until placed back in the their charger, winter time in the Scottish Highlands, it’s fairly common for extended periods of subzero temperatures, and as such, I worked outside then, most of the time… Unfortunately for me, the BMS switched off twice, within a week or so, in very challenging circumstances, out in the sticks! For some of us guys, a BTE UP with 675 batteries is the only game in town, we usually have the most challenging losses, and without our aids, we hear virtually zero… Rechargeable aids work well for the vast majority of HOH folks out there, but for certain losses, they struggle badly, to accommodate their needs! Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Kev.

I’m leaving this thread.

Take care. See you on another one.

DaveL

1 Like

No worries Dave, you take it easy…See you about, Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

I have two responses from different angles.

First, we wouldn’t be having this discussion if the ability to make a decision wasn’t in danger of being taken away from us.

Second, speaking for myself, concerns about emergencies (of which hospital is only one example) aren’t keeping me from getting what would be better for me under normal circumstances. On a day-to-day basis I prefer the routine with disposable batteries. I think disposable battery technology is better suited to the application. For me, rechargeable aids are all downside, no upside. Ok?

5 Likes

@kevels55

Wonderful post. I’ve finally ready to cross that bridge. My hearing aids are finally working because they’ve been setup properly. I’m not at peace with myself yet but I’m on the way.

And my “brick” is fully charged. I’ll pop it in my bag with my spare charger when I have to go to hospital again…that’s tomorrow.

1 Like

Yes but my original question wasn’t about doing day to day things. People know how to cope day to day.

I might be unusual in what I choose to do but I won’t be the only one.

I massively prefer to be on a boat / sailing, up a mountain, up a cliff (climbing) and on my mountain bike.

Urban areas are not what I enjoy!

I won’t be the only one and I only asked for advice.

I only hope they don’t manage to make a rechargeable HA to manage my loss. Then I’m sorted but honestly, people only come here for advice and shouldn’t have to deal with these type of comments.

(Irish Sea nearly in Ireland.)

This is what happens when you don’t put your HAs in as you’re late getting up after 3 hours sleep and you get a massive head injury from being knocked out by the boom as you weren’t aware that we were turning.

For some people, HAs can make things they do safer. Most people can’t be fully deaf aware so obviously mistakes can happen.

3 Likes

:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up::+1::+1::+1:

Exactly this!!

1 Like

One option that I haven’t seen mentioned. I still have my previous pair of HAs, and they used number 13 batteries. In the event of world collapse I guess I’ll have to go back a generation until the grid is restored.

I inherited my car, and a number of other things, from my mother when she passed. I have found packs of 13s stashed in a number of places.

2 Likes

AUGH! That is both funny and kinda BLOCKHEADED of the surgeon. With my hearing, he could blast it out in Morse Code with M-80s and I wouldn’t even hear that. Seriously. I’ve had a couple multi-hour surgeries and INSISTED I keep the aids in. I don’t care if they have to put medical tape on them.

Yes, it’s a liability issue if they go missing somehow, but I absolutely NEED to hear in critical situations. Folks with normal hearing simpy can’t fathom that if someone still has vision (i.e., can see) they may have ZERO ability to hear. That would be me.

1 Like

kevels55, not sure if you’re still subjected to those BITTER winters, but do you think you could get by with a pair of sort of loose-fitting earmuffs that could even fit under a furry hooded coat or woolly cap?

I totally get that when aids are at FULL MAX the likelihood of feedback increases, but I found (when I lived in a very long winter climate) if I had the muffs on in the “sweet” spot, I didn’t get feedback as much from a BTE as the ITE style of aid.

I was also able to wear a wonderful Tilly wool hat that had fold down felt ear flaps. Those also kept my ears warm without feedback.

Main thing is: you don’t want those aids FROZEN into bricks in that cold.

2 Likes

way-back I had one Widex in my ear. I couldn’t afford 2. I went skiing. I fell. My right foot went backwards. 5 breaks. I still have 2 plates in my tib and fib and 14 screws. It’s been 20 years.

My work friend had a cochlear implant on one side. He said his balance problem and mine were caused by using a single hearing aid.

Thanks for your photos and comments here.

My own experience–I turned down open heart surgery. I chose stents. I didn’t need the extra stress of hearing aids that didn’t work for me. I couldn’t hear the surgeon at the foot of my bed in the prep ward before and back after surgery. I was concerned that I would wake up with a zipper on my chest. As it was I didn’t have anaesthetic during the procedure while they stuffed the stents in my arteries.
I hated my rechargeable Paradise P90’s. That’s why I object to the comments too.

Saluting you Zebras!

2 Likes

Hi @1Bluejay, -15.2C in March this year, in Kinbrace, was the lowest recorded temperature this year in Highlands, which is approximately 63 miles north from me, January/February are normally the coldest months in my area, the winter average will be 0’C to around 6’C, October to April, we get prolonged cold snaps, perhaps a week to 10 days, possibly 20 to 30 days of snow, lowest recorded temperature ever in the UK, was 1995 in Aultnaharra was -27C, a tadge cold :upside_down_face: about 50 miles north of my home… My biggest problem with Criminal Justice when working, was namely my clients, some of whom had a very violent past, we where lone workers, supervising up to 5 clients per day, that had been sentenced by the courts to do community service, normally doing heavy manual labour in the community, they would sometimes kick off, a fight might break out, at any time with each other, I had to be extremely alert, as they would attack the more vulnerable, or try to settle old scores, it could be a very stressful job, so covering my ears with anything, was a big, no, no… I worked alongside them, I did what they did, I could have just supervised, but that would have meant an incredibly long day…and I liked to lead by example, I did that job for 10 years, the mental aspect probably took its toll, as I now live with anxiety every day, but perhaps that was 2 bouts of Sepsis, who knows? I had no problems whatsoever with disposable battery aids, they are absolutely fine in adversely cold weather. Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Hat’s off to you Kev

Thanks for your service.
(In another lifetime I got to serve 900 sites as an engineer…during that time I provided engineering for 15 jails, 5 psychiatric hospitals. 4 centres for developmentally challenged. I did that for 10 years too. My job was much easier than yours. But they were in, not doing community service.)

1 Like

@1Bluejay

I have two of those wonderful Tilley hats. Wool. They have two earflaps and I have no feedback. They have a flap for the forehead too. And strap for under the chin, and behind the head too. I’ve used Tilley hats in many of our convertibles. Mr Tilley’s business was sold by his kids after he passed. If you find one better buy it as a spare! I’ve seen cheaper hats being released by them. I still have my first Tilley hat. It’s provided great service when I was sailing or canoeing. Rain is almost bearable.

Dave

1 Like

Same here, my hearing aid only lasts for 12 hours, so I’m always worried that it will run out of power during the day. I was wondering if you have any solutions.

1 Like

How are you using your aids that they only last 12 hours?

I have rechargeable aids and they use the same sized and voltage battery as non rechargeables. So keep a pack of standard aid batteries on hand and use those if your charger is not functioning. The batteries are interchangable.

1 Like

I’m glad yours are. My Phoak rechargeable are sealed in. Paradise P90R

Any HA with an IPxx rating, which is most rechargeables these days, are sealed and the battery welded.

Elsewhere in this forum you can see where I open mine and removed the sealant from the rechargeable battery.

2 Likes

OK. You are a SURVIVOR! Glad the battery aids gave no issues in that bitter c-c-c-cold. I totally get how you wanted to lead by example with the community service corps.

FORGET the warm hat. I think a copy of Ceasar Millan’s book “Be the Pack Leader” would’ve been useful in that situation! :wink:

There may even be a tip for how to manage anxiety by living in the present. Not to diminish the sensation for a moment … but that is a technique that has worked for me.

2 Likes