What type (acrylic or silicone) of custom ear molds allow DIY receiver replacement for RIC aid? (resolved)

I have read conflicting information on this with some statements that both acrylic ear molds and silicone might need either the lab that made them or a local professional replace the receiver.

Since the “correct” answer might depend on the manufacturer and other factors, let me narrow things down. Likely that Costco will recommend custom molds to me based on audiogram and I prefer to at least have the option of being able to change the receiver myself in case of wear/tear or emergency and wishing to minimize in-person visits. I know Costco uses both Westone as well as Phonak for custom molds for their KS9 -10 aids. Can anyone confirm whether either of these is not glued in and in general would allow for at home receiver replacement?

While I will ask directly of Costco during appt, I am wanting to gather as much relevant information as possible beforehand so that focus of time with fitter is on things generated from testing and in the moment interaction.

EDIT TO ADD my SUMMARY: Read thread for details … For custom molds (seemingly both silicone and acrylic) if you are replacing receiver with same power and therefore it is the same size it will fit existing mold and most likely one can DIY.

I think the main issue is receiver size. UltraPower receivers generally come permanently attached to a mold. I don’t think you’ll need UP receiver so receiver should be removable from mold. For sure receivers (S, M and P) are removable from Phonak Silicone molds.

3 Likes

The different powered receivers are different physical sizes.
The earmolds are made to that size receiver.
I used silicone molds that allowed me to switch receivers as long as they were the same power level.

2 Likes

ReSound makes the molds for Costco’s ReSound and Jabra aids. You can get both acrylic and silicone molds where the receiver slips into the mold. Only UP receivers are encased in acrylic molds.

I wear acrylic ear molds that the receivers are molded into the ear mold, I can change receiver wires but not the receivers.

Thank you all for very helpful and clear info. I added summary (copied below) to my OP so people don’t need to read entire thread if they don’t want to. Once comments seem to be finished I will also edit the topic title to ____? Answered or perhaps Resolved
I was taught the practice in another forum (especially for non-controversial topics/?s) for the OP to offer a “summary/key take aways” in effort to make topic more useful to others in the future.

For custom molds (seemingly both silicone and acrylic) if you are replacing receiver with same power and therefore it is the same size it will fit existing mold and most likely one can DIY.

@MDB Much thanks for your answer on mold, and your indication that you do not think I’d need UP receiver. Both for Phonak and Westone the only material they use for UP receivers is Acrylic and I am pretty sure I’ll be happier with silicone so glad that I will probably have that as an option. I used to have silicone custom molds until a few months ago when audi made new molds and didn’t tell me that she was recommending acrylic and never gave reason for the change. Acrylic has been quite uncomfortable, and today I used a dremel to reduce it in one area which seems to have improved the pressure and irritation that was being cause by the acrylic. Nonetheless I think I prefer the softer silicone mold material.