What to do when you can't afford expensive hearing aids

Welcome back, Kotter.

Another choice for a low cost hearing aid that is more than a simple ‘PSAP’ device is a SIEMENS LOTUS 12SP type of hearing aid from eBay. There are a few models and are priced starting at around $100 each. I bought two of the earlier 12SP’s (that had three small adjustments for overall gain, frequency related boosting and maximum sound limits) a few years ago. My hearing loss is the typical higher end frequencies. I tried the prior Costco Kirkland 6’s for three months and ended up returning them in that I thought the two Lotus 12SP’s were giving me very similar results.

I see there are newer Lotus 12SP’s out that feature “6 Channels 4 programs” … they omit the small adjustments mentioned above and probably replace them with the 4 user selectable programs. I don’t have any experience with these new models.

Some of these also look to be on Amazon these days.

So an approach could be to buy one of these 12SP’s and give it a try to see if it helps you. I it helps … good, buy another and use them. If it doesn’t help, you’ve only invested $100-$150. If you buy from Amazon, You can probably just return it if you’re not satisfied.

Good Luck!

Actually, purchasing a pair on eBay might be a pretty good gamble. If you’re like most people and have hearing loss in the higher ranges. You could question the seller in this regard. Perfect solution? No, but you said any help would be welcome. JMO.

The problem with them (Lotus12) is reliability. I went thru 6 of them over the course of about a year. They could be found for around $50 at the time.

So, green as grass, I bought some used Siemens for $500. Those lasted about a year. The repair was $300 (2) that was fortunately refunded when the heat related (guess) problem didn’t go away. Of course there isn’t a factory warranty and aids from all brands fail with regularity. Used and Chinese seem more prone. I was lucky in one respect. My ENT had an audiologist who provided adjustments for a 1-time $75.

Of course it was about 2+ years and compared to the alternatives ($3-6K) it was cheap. Looking back, I’d have to say too cheap and problematic. For me, Costco works out to be just as about as cheap and supported.

Order them from Hearing Revolutions. Top of the line brand name hearing aids and you will save thousands off the cost per hearing aid than if you go to an audiologist and buy the same hearing aid from the the audiologist. Hearing Revolutions pays for a local audiologist to help you and you get a free hearing test, fitting, and 1 year of service and adjustments, plus 2 years free batteries. Can’t beat it. http://www.hearingrevolution.com/

I think that payment plans are the way to go! That way you can still get a really high end hearing aid but not break the bank entirely! I know that Care Credit has some good options!

I’m concerned that we’re starting to get more posts that sound like marketing and endorsements.

4 Likes

If you mean my post, you’re 100% wrong. After being financially raped by 2 different private audiologist who pushed me around, didn’t listen to what I wanted, and taking a whopping total of $700 in trial fees when I walked away unsatisified and still without a hearing aid, I found Hearing Revolutions and couldn’t be happier. I got top of the line hearing aids - The Widex Dream 440 back in 2015 which one audiologist tried to gauge me for $3800 each, for $2000 from Hearing Revolutions. That’s no small savings. I only needed one because one of my ears needed a cochlear implant and can’t use any hearing aid, but for someone that needed two, that’s basically saving them $1800 per aid. And recently, I use upgraded to the Widex Beyond 440 and got that for $1750. I’m done with doing it the old way and getting ripped off. The same local audiologist sells these same hearing aids to his regular customers for alot more. It’s pretty stupid not to save thousands per hearing aid when you’re getitng thr same exact warranties and service.

I’m glad you were happy with them. Perhaps it’s just a personal preference, but I always prefer hearing about somebody’s experience rather than being told I should do something.

Sorry it was not phrased in a poem or a personal story. I was cutting to the chase and trying to help someone that asked what to do if they couldn’t afford expsnsive hearing aids. I believe that was what the original poster asked for. Advice. Not a story. Again, sorry that my recommendation didn’t fit your preference in the way it was presented. I linked the web site so that the original poster could research for themselves. I know when I told my private audiologist I was canceling the Widex Dream 440 because it was too much money ($3800 for ONE), she instantly began talking to me about how she could save me money by selecitng a different “price point” (aka giving me a lesser quality hearing aid). I had the ultimate satisfaction of shutting her down and laughing in her face by telling her I could buy the SAME hearing aid she was trying to sell me for $1800 LESS from Hearing Revolutions, so why on earth would I ever settle for a lesser quality one from her? She grew red faced and huffy. I walked out. It was almost wirth the $250 she gouged me for to cancel the order for a hearing aid I never even laid hands on, let alone trialed with her.

Here is a tip for you and for everyone…do you have a university or college with an audiology dept anywhere near you. After having a bad experience with a local audiologist I went to our university years ago and have been very happy. The audiologists there have no vested interest in selling you anything you don’t truly need and have access to the latest and best equipment, etc.

1 Like

@sabrin514 These posts have no relevance on a hearing aid forum. There are numerous political forums where you can make your viewpoints known, but this is not the place.

1 Like

Use to be amazed now simply amused!

For once I’m speechless.

Consumer Reports, in their March 2017 issue (your library probably has a copy) had a good article on hearing aids and tested some PSAPs. They recommend avoiding the really cheap (under $50) models, and none they looked at helped with the situation you describe. Bose has a new product they call Hearphones - they’re more like wireless headphones, but they are designed for your sort of issue and they are much less expensive than prescription hearing aids.

This thought occurred to me. Audiologists are trained at university, right? Hearing aids are designed by people who went to university. So what if that hissing sound in your shiny new aids isn’t static at all? It could be subliminal leftist propaganda! One day you’re telling your friends how much better you’re hearing things. Six months later? You’re salsa dancing. You’re telling your friends at the country club that you don’t understand why everyone hates Hillary so much! Something to bear in mind… Back to your normal programming…

1 Like

I think it’s all cleaned up now. Thanks to all who flagged the off-topic content, and to @jonat for getting us back on the tracks.

Agree. Just a reminder to all that we are monitoring for suspicious levels of link sharing and promotion on this forum. I know sometimes people just have a good experience and want to share it with others, but the moderators will all be looking for patterns of abuse, and I welcome the support of the community in helping us to identify those users who are here to promote rather than to contribute. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi … I have one hearing aid … i can give you for free. This is adjusted for about 50% loos on low tones. This is not a cheap one. It’s a widex c4-9 …Regards arild

1 Like

I have severe loss(80db) and have worn hearing aids for 40+ years.
A year ago I stopped attending meetings because I couldn’t hear people in a room with background noise.
My Rexton Bridge P(Costco) aids(5 years old) only worked in a quiet environment with people near by.
I bought several PSAP devices out of desperation.
The best of them was a Bellman Mino.
I use it with the Bellman earphones alone(no hearing aid )
The device, phones and shipping were approx. $240 from Amazon.
I haven’t worn my hearing aids in months, only use the Bellman
I can attend meetings and participate.
There are several tutorials on youtube that explain the device and its use.
I intend to try Costco again when the mfrs. start producing aids with Bluetooth 5 remote connectivity to Android phones.