What is the expected battery lifetime of Phonak Roger Select?

Did you adjust the settings for the Select in Target to achieve the good result?

I may end up getting both On and Select iN with no licenses installed since I already have them from the Pen iN. Not convenient to have to carry two devices tho.

The Select has 3 microphones. See link https://www.phonakpro.com/content/dam/phonakpro/gc_hq/en/products_solutions/wireless_accessories/roger_select/documents/datasheet_roger_select.pdf

Roger On has 4 microphones. From all the accounts Iā€™ve heard, the On is the more advanced device.

2 Likes

Sorry @Zebras I think @MDB is right, the select has got 3 microphones:

My bad :no_mouth:

@Baltazard

A You Tube video says 3 Microphones on the Select but 6 segments.

I wonder what that means?

I wonder if the On has 4 Microphones but 8 segments?

The mics use beam forming to break the 360 circle into arbitrary segments unrelated to the physical microphones. The Roger On also presents six segments on the app to allow/block out sound. It is just how the system in the device is processing the sound.

WH

2 Likes

@WhiteHat

Thanks for confirming.

I have the On for work but Iā€™m now allowed my phone so Iā€™ve not played around with the App.

The app is great for table mode as that is how you deselect the segments. When there is noise to my left and I deselect those segments the noise is dramatically improved.

It is too bad you canā€™t use your phone. Is there any way you can get permission to use some other device that can run the app for the mic? Between the microphone app (myRogerMic) and the myphonak apps, it gives a lot of good control. myphonak lets you mix how much is from the mic and how much comes from the HAsā€™ mics. If Iā€™m trying to lock down the noise around me and focus on something, being able to reduce the HAsā€™ mics and focus on a particular direction from the Roger On is really key to getting the most out of the whole thing.

WH

1 Like

@Zebras I saw a youtube video from Dr Cliff saying that Roger Select has 6 microphones, so I was under the impression that is true, until @MDB sent a link to the selectā€™s datasheet.

Just guessing, but the Select has 6 different directions that it can ā€œpointā€ to that Iā€™m guessing uses different combinations of the 3 microphonesā€¦

2 Likes

@WhiteHat

Iā€™m going to ask to use my mobile for the myRoger App as I feel the On will be better in table mode then the Select. At the moment, the Select is better for me, maybe because Iā€™m not playing around with the App to make the On better.

1 Like

@Zebras @WhiteHat Why is the app necessary?
I though you can just rotate the ON as you see fit?

Roger On has four modes. One you point and it beam forms to listen to a narrow conical shaped path. One is presenter mode where it is clipped or lanyarded to a speaker you want to hear. It is looking straight up to listen. One is where it is connected to a dock or cable and sends whatever audio comes in via the cable.

The mode where this matters is table mode. You place the mic on a table and you get six segments around a circle to include or filter out. If you donā€™t use the app you potentially get sound from directions you donā€™t desire. There is no preference, as when your family is around a table and you want to hear everyone. But perhaps you are at a table with your spouse in a restaurant (like I was last night) and a guy in another party, at another table to your right keeps tapping his fork on a knife on the table. Very loudly. My wife thinks it was a nervous habit. I put the mix to ā€œall micā€ in the myPhonak app so my HAs werenā€™t pulling anything else is. Then in the mic app I deselected all but the forward segment so I could hear her well.

I hope this helps you understand.

WH

1 Like

If you are holding it in pointer mode (which it normally auto detects/selects unless locked in another mode) then you swing it around and point it how you like. I think that is what you were thinking about.

WH

1 Like

Thatā€™s correct :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

@WhiteHat

Thanks, I wasnā€™t aware what the App could do.