What is the effect of x-rays on hearing aids?

I recently got a new pair of Phonak Audeo Q 70 - T hearing aids. I had a chest x-ray while wearing the hearing aids. I asked the technician if I should remove them, and he told me it was OK to leave them on. Afterwards I noticed in the hearing aid manual that x-rays could damage them (i.e. CAT scans and MRI scans). If I had read the manual first, I would simply have not worn them.

My question is, will standard x-rays damage them, or reduce their life expectancy? Or, is this only in reference to the much higher radiation from a CAT scan? What about x-rays in luggage in airports?

thanks, Kevin

I don’t know with 100% certainty, but I would think that since you had a chest X-ray, the radiation shouldn’t have gone anywhere near your hearing aids and they should be fine. I know that one shouldn’t wear hearing aids when having an MRI done because the strong magnetic field in the MRI can damage hearing aids and other mechanical devices. I’m not sure about CT scans, but again, I presume that unless your head is being scanned, wearing hearing aids while having a CT scan shouldn’t be a real problem.

There’s absolutely no concern about wearing hearing aids through the X-ray at airports. I had read that, and then, just to confirm, I asked the first time I went through security as a new hearing aid user. The security staff assured me that the X-rays wouldn’t cause damage to the hearing aids, as did my audiologist, who is herself a bilateral hearing aid user and travels frequently.

Kerry

absolute zero chance and x-ray would damage your hearing aids. no problem wearing them for a ct-scan but a no, no if you are doing an mri. oh, and also zero problem with dental xrays.

Oh wow I didn’t even think about dental x-rays & I just had some done. You made me feel better Doc Jake thanks. I also didn’t think about regular x-rays good question Kevin.
I did want to share an experience with you all if I might.
I had the same question regarding hearing aids & MRI’s . The first full day I wore my hearing aids I was at work & I had to take a patient to MRI. I didn’t know what to do so erring on the side of caution I took them out and put them in a safe place till I returned .The next day I asked my Audiologist if you could wear them in the MRI & she didn’t know but would find out. When I saw her she told she asked her co workers & the consensus was I did the right thing. I looked at it this way these suckers are expensive & since my hearing is not sever I was fine with out them.

— Updated —

Oh wow I didn’t even think about dental x-rays & I just had some done. You made me feel better Doc Jake thanks. I also didn’t think about regular x-rays good question Kevin.
I did want to share an experience with you all if I might.
I had the same question regarding hearing aids & MRI’s . The first full day I wore my hearing aids I was at work & I had to take a patient to MRI. I didn’t know what to do so erring on the side of caution I took them out and put them in a safe place till I returned .The next day I asked my Audiologist if you could wear them in the MRI & she didn’t know but would find out. When I saw her she told she asked her co workers & the consensus was I did the right thing. I looked at it this way these suckers are expensive & since my hearing is not sever I was fine with out them.

The only time I had to remove the aids is prior to MRI scans. With Digital x-rays, they are so quick and very low emissions and did not have to remove the aids prior to x-rays. Need to remove aids if the doctors are doing a brain x-ray.