What is the effect of x-rays on hearing aids?

I recently got a new pair of Phonak Audeo Q 70 - T hearing aids. I had a chest x-ray while wearing the hearing aids. I asked the technician if I should remove them, and he told me it was OK to leave them on. Afterwards I noticed in the hearing aid manual that x-rays could damage them (i.e. CAT scans and MRI scans). If I had read the manual first, I would simply have not worn them.

My question is, will standard x-rays damage them, or reduce their life expectancy? Or, is this only in reference to the much higher radiation from a CAT scan? What about x-rays in luggage in airports?

thanks, Kevin

I don’t know with 100% certainty, but I would think that since you had a chest X-ray, the radiation shouldn’t have gone anywhere near your hearing aids and they should be fine. I know that one shouldn’t wear hearing aids when having an MRI done because the strong magnetic field in the MRI can damage hearing aids and other mechanical devices. I’m not sure about CT scans, but again, I presume that unless your head is being scanned, wearing hearing aids while having a CT scan shouldn’t be a real problem.

There’s absolutely no concern about wearing hearing aids through the X-ray at airports. I had read that, and then, just to confirm, I asked the first time I went through security as a new hearing aid user. The security staff assured me that the X-rays wouldn’t cause damage to the hearing aids, as did my audiologist, who is herself a bilateral hearing aid user and travels frequently.

Kerry

absolute zero chance and x-ray would damage your hearing aids. no problem wearing them for a ct-scan but a no, no if you are doing an mri. oh, and also zero problem with dental xrays.

Oh wow I didn’t even think about dental x-rays & I just had some done. You made me feel better Doc Jake thanks. I also didn’t think about regular x-rays good question Kevin.
I did want to share an experience with you all if I might.
I had the same question regarding hearing aids & MRI’s . The first full day I wore my hearing aids I was at work & I had to take a patient to MRI. I didn’t know what to do so erring on the side of caution I took them out and put them in a safe place till I returned .The next day I asked my Audiologist if you could wear them in the MRI & she didn’t know but would find out. When I saw her she told she asked her co workers & the consensus was I did the right thing. I looked at it this way these suckers are expensive & since my hearing is not sever I was fine with out them.

— Updated —

Oh wow I didn’t even think about dental x-rays & I just had some done. You made me feel better Doc Jake thanks. I also didn’t think about regular x-rays good question Kevin.
I did want to share an experience with you all if I might.
I had the same question regarding hearing aids & MRI’s . The first full day I wore my hearing aids I was at work & I had to take a patient to MRI. I didn’t know what to do so erring on the side of caution I took them out and put them in a safe place till I returned .The next day I asked my Audiologist if you could wear them in the MRI & she didn’t know but would find out. When I saw her she told she asked her co workers & the consensus was I did the right thing. I looked at it this way these suckers are expensive & since my hearing is not sever I was fine with out them.

The only time I had to remove the aids is prior to MRI scans. With Digital x-rays, they are so quick and very low emissions and did not have to remove the aids prior to x-rays. Need to remove aids if the doctors are doing a brain x-ray.

I actually am in the exact same situation as the OP. I had a CT of the chest today and before I got in the machine, I realized I’d forgotten to remove my hearing aids in the locker room area. I asked the tech if I could return quickly to the locker room to remove them and she refused. She said I had to be able to hear the breathing instructions. I’ve never had an issue hearing loud scan instructions without my hearing aids before but I didn’t press the issue. She said the CT scan uses radiation, not magnets, so they shouldn’t affect my hearing aids.

Several hours after the procedure, the hearing aids appear to be working fine but they are sore in my ear and I’m extra sensitive to loud sounds now. The CT scan wasn’t especially loud so I’m not sure what about the procedure has affected me, but I wish I had insisted on removing my hearing aids before the procedure.

@Hearing2011

I’ve had 4 CT scans in the last week with contrast on my chest / tummy. I wore my hearing aids and they’ve been fine.

That’s good to hear (no pun intended). My hearing aids are still functioning after my CT Scan, but I’m noticing that loud sounds/loud talking are hurting my ears now. No idea why. The CT Scan wasn’t especially loud. I may go see my audiologist to make sure the Scan didn’t affect the programming of the aid.

@Hearing2011

Realise this is talking about the the Phonak Lyric but it must be the same for all other Aids?

Thanks…I did see that but also saw this online, regarding BTE Phonak hearing aids, which I have. It feels to me like the highs are way higher than usual since the CT Scan and some sounds are actually hurting my ears. I hope the Scan merely messed up my program settings, which is easy to fix at my audiologist. They’re still a little sore in my ears.

I’ve never had any negative effects with xrays or cat scans. Mri are a different story and they come out. But with mri’s they give me headphones to wear so I can listen to music which I can’t hear. But as far as xrays are concerned I don’t even mention that I’m wearing aids. Never had a problem

Thanks…that’s good that you’ve never had a problem. I’ll have to see my audiologist and she can hopefully tell me whether the settings simply need to be reset.

One interesting thing (in the two screenshots in posts #9 snd #10) is that the manual for my Phonak Audeo (circa 2014, which are now newly refurbished) states that CT scans may be harmful to the aids. But the manual for the newer Phonak Lyric states specifically that CT scans are NOT harmful and that only MRI’s are (as is commonly known). I’m not sure if that is because the Lyric, being the newer device, has technology to combat any CT interference or whether Phonak eventually determined that CT scans pose no threat. Again, the manual for my aids are from around 2014.

The lyric is a very different device. It’s half old-school analog, and half new-school digital. Maybe more importantly it is VERY self contained and fairly shielded … I don’t know if that’s true of other aids.

X-rays: As was noted elsewhere they tend to be used in a way that tightly controls exposure. If you pay attention you’ll see the technician adjusting shutters … they look at first like they are limiting where light shines, but that’s a guide, and they are really limiting where the x-rays will be emitted. X-rays are also quite directional, and there’s minimal bouncing about.

CT is a form of x-rays … if you’re head is not the area of study it’s probably very little exposure.

MRI. Now we’re talking a different technology. MRI uses magnetism and its effect at the atomic level. The MRI would probably NOT hurt the hearing device, but YOU are a different issue. Also, the Lyric devices in particular are controlled using a magnetic wand, so they are clearly sensitive to magnetic interference.

Any metal, including metal in your hearing aid, could interact with the magnetic fields. It could be forcibly moved and not really care that you’re in the way. It could also heat up, and not really care that your tissues are near by.

No matter what kind of hearing aid you have, make sure you remove it before an MRI. This is more about protecting YOU than protecting the hearing aid.

1 Like

I think phonak is who I would be asking, just to avoid any confusion

1 Like

Thanks Kevin and Hass5744. That’s good to know about the CT technology. I had just been a little confused why the manual for the Lyric (which I saw screenshots for, but don’t own) says that CT scans pose no threat, while the manual for my old Audeo aids says CT scans are to be avoided. Hass is right, I should contact Phonak to be sure.

I’m not sure why I’m now hearing much louder and uncomfortable higher pitched sounds in my aids since the CT scan yesterday but trying to get in with my audiologist to make sure my settings weren’t altered somehow. She has had a family emergency this week, so will try with her next week. I’ve been speaking with the very nice manager of the facility where I had the CT scan and she said she’s never heard of a problem with wearing hearing aids during scans, but she did note my issues and what I read to her from the Phonak Audeo manual. Of course, as you noted, MRI’s are a different story.