What I bought and why (Phonak lumity)

As I’ve posted here, I’m a college professor and need hearing help.

I’m replacing my 6 year old Widex Beyond 440’s With:

Phonak lumity L90 T hearing aids with full ear molds and receivers.

Phonak Roger On In
Phonak Handheld Pass Around mic.

Here’s why:

Phonak has an extensive line of ALD’S.
I don’t have to wear a dongle.
I can adjust the Roger On with my Apple Watch which is a great classroom benefit.
The telecoil is for venues that have loop systems.
I’m border line for cochlear implants.
The Phonak ALD’s are compatible with implants.

My goal is to squeeze out every increment of speech understanding to delay implants in the hope that the stem-cell cochlear restoration treatment will become available so I don’t need implants.

1 Like

Did you get the Lumity’s yet? Please post your observations after you start using them. I’ve been wearing them for a month and they are fantastic. Can’t believe how well I hear again.

Jordan

Just ordered them yesterday.

1 Like

How do you control the roger on from the watch? That’s a trick I don’t have, yet. The myrogermic and myphonak apps are not available, so far as I know, for the watch.

WH

It’s in the Apple App Store.

I don’t have the equipment yet, so I’m only going on what I’ve seen.

It is in the ios store for phones and ipads, but not the apple watch store, unless they are calling it something else. Phonak hasn’t been aggressive about supporting the watch. The mfi HAs have support for the watch, but the phonak aids, not so much.

I have Audeo P90R HAs with activevent receivers, as well as a roger on microphone and some tv connectors. Best wishes with the new Lumitys!

WH

1 Like

Doesn’t the Pass Around Mic only work with 02 licenses and the Roger On iN definitely only contains 03 licenses?

You may have trouble?

3 Likes

I don’t know.

I was planning to buy the pass around mic on EBay refurbished after I received the hearing aids and the Roger On.

1 Like

@Zebras and @kevels55 are your SMEs for Phonak ALD interconnection requirements. Put your plans out for review to help save from expensive dead ends.

WH

1 Like

In conjunction with the Roger Touch Screen & Roger Pass Around the Mic, you will also require 2 Roger X Receivers (Type 2) Educational, the are approximately double the price of Roger X (Type 3) Receivers, you need a friendly A.uD, to install the Roger X licenses into your new aids via a piece of kit, known as a Roger Installer, I bought one of these Installers from South Korea, they can be difficult to obtain! One other alternative is to use the (Type 2) Roger Neck Loop, if your aids are set up for an inductive loop/telecoil? Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

My audiologist prescribed the Roger On In, which will work with the Lumity L90’s.

If I need the pass around mike, I’ll deal with it - neck loop or whatever.

The pass around mic appeals to me for obvious reasons in a college classroom setting where I have 16 students max.

1 Like

The Roger On In, I believe installs 2 Roger (Type 3) licenses into your aids, so unfortunately of no use to you whatsoever with Roger Pass Around the Mic, as @Zebras rightly stated, the RPATM, also needs the Roger Touch Screen, this is a (Type 2) device, and in order to function, it connects to your aids via the Touch Screen, I have all of this equipment, and more besides… I reiterate you would also need 2 x Roger X Receivers that are (Type 2) Educational, or the (Type 2) Neck Loop, to me it would be a mistake to buy the Roger On In, unless it’s a freebie, it is fine 1 to 1, or as a table mic, with say half a dozen folks sat around, but I think you may struggle in a classroom? As a rule of thumb, (Type 2) Receivers are classed as Educational, and as such they are usually double the price, they work with every Roger device, as long as the serial number is above 1744… (Type 3) Roger X Receivers only work with certain ALD’s, like Roger On, Roger Select, Roger Pen… There are 2 licenses slots in either aid (I have both Type 2 & 3) Receivers, and one day I accidentally installed an extra receiver in an aid, 1 of each type :upside_down_face: I thought I had bricked it! (Type 2) give you a License for any Roger device, (Type 3) is only a license for certain devices, but be aware these licenses aren’t interchangeable, well the (Type 3) most certainly isn’t! My apologies for the long winded reply, it’s a difficult subject to try, and explain, but in reality it is a very simple thing… Good Luck, cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Yes I can definitely say it’s 03 licences as when I connect my Aids to software, it says 03 installed.

1 Like

You could have bought a normal Roger On and 2 x 02 licenses and get your Audiologist to install the 02 ones with this machine in the picture. That way you’re sorted with all of the Roger Microphones.

2 Likes

Couldn’t he use a Roger Pen (or another Roger On) as a “pass around mike?” I think “Pass Around Mike” is also the trade name of a device, but I’m using the term to describe function.

2 Likes

@MDB

2 x Roger On devices together can only be used in lanyard mode.

The pointing / pass around and table mode don’t work anymore. Phonak stopped it.

Not sure about the Roger Pen tho.

1 Like

Wouild it be a possible work around to turn off one of the Roger On (or Roger Pen) while using Roger On in Table mode and turn on the other device only when somebody wants to speak into it? Clutzy, but perhaps workable?

1 Like

@MDB

They’ll both mute unfortunately, not just one, until one of them is turned off.

1 Like

Perhaps the OP could use the Roger Pen, how effective that would be is probably questionable… TBVH, the Roger Pen is probably my least favourite ALD, tis fine in the lanyard mode, in a classroom with hard furnishings, and perhaps echoing, I am not so sure? Roger Pass Around the Mic, is indeed a product, and is specifically designed for a classroom environment (see link below) Cheers Kev :wink:

What I’m thinking is have one turned on in table mode. If somebody needs to be miked, they turn on the other mike (table mode is now off?) Person with mike speaks and then turns it off. Mike on table is now back in Table mode? Other thought is to have the actual Table Mic ii. Having the Educational receivers is certainly a much better solution.

1 Like