What exactly is the "Tinnitus Managment" functionality in the Resound Nexias?

I just got a pair of the Nexia HAs (NX960S-DRWC), and I keep reading that one of the only differences between these and the Jabra Pro Enhance 20’s is the tinnitus management feature. But I can find no information on what this actually is.

It’s gotta be more than the “Resound Relief” app I can download from the Play Store, as that is usable standalone, and doesn’t even require HAs, let alone Nexia HAs…

That app, fwiw, doesn’t really help me at all. I have very loud, constant tonal tinnitus, and I have yet to find any white noise/environmental sound that really helps (unless it’s so loud as to be worse than the tone…)

And although I am not expecting a miracle, I was told that these HAs had some technology that might help, even just a little. And when I went for my joke of a “fitting”, even though I explicitly told him that the tinnitus mgmt was the main feature I wanted to explore, I don’t even think he enabled the damn feature!!!

As I peruse this forum, and (hopefully) discover additional methods of tinnitus management that I might be able to try, I would still like to know specifically about this feature. TIA.

My tinnitus is in the high frequency range. So I can ignore it unless I’m thinking about it.

We can post some pictures of the software. Would that be helpful? It looks like there are a bunch of adjustments that can be made.

For many of us, hearing aid helps with tinnitus, at least while wearing the hearing aid.

So maybe that’s what your HCP wanted to see what happened before trying the tinnitus features of the hearing aid. Or perhaps your HCP wanted to get the hearing aids adjusted for your hearing loss, before tackling your tinnitus.

At any rate, there seems to be a communication issue between you and your HCP.

1 Like

I tried the tinnitus feature in my Phonak hearing aids. I rejected it. It broadcasted a noise to mask the tinnitus. waves, or rain, or other choices. I’ve had tinnitus a long time. I find if I’m stressed it’s really objectionable. It’s my stress meter. If I pay attention, and relax, my tinnitus isn’t so bad.
So for me in the Phonaks it was an objectionable noise that was louder than another objectionable noise. I had it turned off that day.
Your mileage may vary. It may be perfect for you.
DaveL

1 Like

Trialed Resound Nexia 9’s.
They have a nose generator program that the audiologist can turn on.
It’s white noise, waves, surf noise.
My problem was, the sound wasn’t loud enough for my left ear where my bad tinnitus is.
You can go into the app to increase the volume but I still really could not hear it.
I had the same problem with my Audibels.
I got the audiologist to turn the volume up in the left.
I really did not care for the Resounds so I moved on.

Same with me. It just added another noise. In fact, it was worse, as my wife could hear it!

Thanks for fhe responses. It appears that the tinnitus mgmt feature is nothing very different than a built in version of their resound relief app. Jist a noise generation feature. Like most of you, I’ve already tried a bunch of different noises, and they don’t provide any relief, and most just make it worse (by adding another unwanted noise).

That’s too bad. But frankly, it’s also what I expected.

1 Like

Have you tried the Widex Zen Tinnitus app? It’s available free and you can use headphones. OR … you can stream it through your HAs!

I was considering the Widex SmartRic and the Resound Nexia and particularly interested in their tinnitus management features. I ended up getting the Jabra Enhance Pro 20s from Costco, which are essentially Nexia 9s.

Costco won’t enable the tinnitus feature. I’m looking into self-programming so I can do that myself. In the meantime, I stream the Widex Zen app through my HAs. I get most of the benefit of having it “built in” to my HAs, without paying the extra $2000+.

I downloaded the Widex app. The sounds are a little different than I found in the Resound app, and I will admit that some of them seem “better”(?), in that they actually do (at least in small doses) provide a small amount of “relief through distraction”, in that the distraction is not quite as bad as the original symptom…

We got the Jabra Enhance Pro 20s for my wife, and I liked the features, which is why I was leaning in that direction. (Also I really liked the idea of sharing chargers–only having to learn one hearing aid as far as features, software, etc.). But the military paid for mine, and they couldn’t do the $1600 Jabras, but they could do the $4600 Nexias! Fortunately, as far as I’ve been able to determine, these HAs are nearly identical. I think even the chargers will work (I haven’t confirmed that yet, but they sure look identical!) And yes, I am hoping that once I get the SmartFit thing working on my HAs, I can do the same thing for my wife’s Jabras, potentially even turning on the tinnitus mgmt feature on hers. (She has a wholly different tinnitus than mine, one which I think could respond better to the background noises…)