What difference in speech understanding to expect with new Oticon More 1 HAs?

I’m hoping forum members who have experience with More HAs can offer some idea what I should reasonably expect (or hope for) in understanding speech with my pair of new More 1s: How much difference in speech understanding to expect when wearing the new aids compared to not wearing any HAs? – This, I know, depends on an individual’s hearing loss, so I’ll include some detail below.

I’m trying this new pair of More 1s which I ordered online. I sent my recent audiogram to the audiologist-seller who programmed them before shipping them. I don’t seem to have major problems with his initial fitting and plan to make future adjustments myself (I have Genie 2 software, thanks to this forum!, and bought a Noahlink Wireless device).

I’m still new to HAs, having had only 2 months with entry-level Phonak Marvel G30s. I decided to bite the bullet and go for better aids.

I’ve worn the new More 1s now for 2 weeks. But it’s not clear to me whether they make enough difference in understanding speech over not using any HAs. My environment here is quiet, my main speech interaction is with my wife. My main hearing frustrations are hearing what my wife says (without having to ask her to repeat it!) and hearing the TV.

So far, while wearing the new More 1s, I don’t notice a significant difference in how often I need to ask my wife to repeat what she’s said, and I still need to use captions most of the time with the TV. While wearing the HAs, I do notice that many sounds are noticeably louder (my wife’s voice is louder, the normal TV volume is louder, plus louder creaking floors, paper rustling, dishes clattering) and my voice sounds louder and also rough like I have a cold. But beyond these, should I notice a significant, noticeable difference in understanding speech while wearing them?

I already posted my audiogram in my profile, but for convenience here’s a screenshot of my audiogram from Genie 2. This doesn’t include my recent speech discrimination score which was 100% at 70dB.

Here are screenshots in Genie 2 of the original settings made by the audiologist-seller (I’m not using the bass double domes listed in the screenshot: they’re too uncomfortable for one especially narrow ear canal, so I’m now using single closed domes):

Selection screen:

Gain controls:

Sound controls:
Screenshot_20230127_103626

Speech rescue screen:

Environment configuration:

Automatics screen:

Many thanks for any thoughts about approximately how much noticeable difference there should be for someone with my hearing loss in understanding speech while wearing the More 1s compared with not wearing any HAs, and, if you think any of the original settings ought to be changed, I’d welcome suggestions.

Many thanks!

Your acoustics are still set to (Bass dome, double) in Genie 2. When physically changing domes, you should also change your acoustics settings in (Genie 2/Selection Step/Left Panel/Acoustics).

But before you make any changes, you should complete (Step 4 – Save your Original Professional Settings) as described in DIY School. Then, as your second fitting session change your accoustics to match what domes you are physically using.

I don’t usually advise about settings for a specific hearing loss. But double bass domes (occluded fitting) is usually for someone with more loss in the Bass frequencies and when someone doesn’t have much loss in the low frequencies they typically use open-fit acoustics?

Also, your loss is not the typical ski-slope loss and may be more difficult to fit.

I’m wondering why the need for speech rescue?
After saving the settings per @pvc 's advice, try opening another session with correct acoustics for the change in domes, and turn off speech rescue.
See how it sounds.

1 Like

Thanks pvc. I’ve saved my audi’s original settings, and will start a second fitting session and set the acoustics to match the domes that I’m using.

What you suggested about using open domes for someone like me without much low frequency loss confirms what I’ve read a number of times. I appreciate your reinforcing this.

I’d be using open domes right now if the audi I bought the More 1s from had included some open domes in the assortment he generously sent me. I’ll now order some small-size open domes to try.

You commented that someone with my non-ski-loss-slope can be harder to fit. I respect that you don’t want to advise about settings for a specific loss. But in very general terms, when dealing with my variety of loss, are there some potentially promising setting strategies (e.g., trying particular kinds of settings in Genie 2) that you’ve found to be sometimes helpful with a loss like mine? I’m glad to experiment with all DIY responsibility of course mine alone.

Thank you again.

Thanks, flashb1024. I’ll definitely try that. If turning off speech rescue helps, will report back. I appreciate the suggestion!

1 Like

I suggest that you post a non DIY topic in a regular (Non-DIY) category asking for advice about fitting the type of loss that you have. There are real Pros there who are much more qualified and educated about advising about different types of hearing loss.

You don’t have to give details about where you got your initial settings.

My opinion: expect a good improvement with proper setup.

1. Change domes to 5, 6 or 8mm openbass domes depending on preference
  2. Reset hearing aids to initial fit based on your audiogram
  3. Complete the personalisation process after selection
  4. Acclimatisation level set to 3, speech rescue off
  5. Complete feedback management calibration
  6. All else left default. Save and trial.
  7. Adjust: too much noise= reduce soft gain in the low frequencies; not enough clarity= increase moderate and soft gain in the mid to high frequencies. Trial again and tweak if needed

Thats what I’d try of course missing out important things like REMs and more thorough hearing testing etc

1 Like

Thanks pvc. It’s helpful to know that non-DIY people include some pros. I want to start out by trying the clear step-by-step approach suggested by user217. If I need some more guidance, I’ll post to the non-DIY forum. Many thanks!

Your dedication to this forum has certainly helped many people.

Thanks very much for taking the time and thought to describe such a clear step-by-step approach to try. When a DIY beginner like me is fumbling around in the dark with nothing but guesswork that’s hit-or-miss, having a clear outline of steps to try gives me a helpful place to start. A multitude of thanks!