What are "open" Siemens Click Molds?

[moaning]
The description of different types of click molds on Siemens website is not too useful (https://www.bestsoundtechnology.com/pro/siemens-hearing-product-portfolio/product-archive/minireceiver/click-molds/). I went to my local audi to order click molds and what I got was a a long type of molds with 2 mm and 1 mm vents. I can hear almost normally below 500 Hz and above 4kHz having -60 dB at 2 kHz for both ears. So I know that I really need the short type of mold with larger vents for my hearing (to both reduce occlusion and let higher pitched sounds through as naturally as possible).

I told my audi that I’m not happy with the molds and that I need new ones. She talked to the local Siemens rep, who responded that they could try to cut the molds shorter and drill larger vents. So I guess that making new molds costs money and they are not too happy about the idea. Besides, I need a canal lock which I didn’t get (I’ve always needed one) that probably can’t be glued to existing molds by any reasonable means.

[/moaning]

So, since I need new molds, I was thinking about my options besides short “closed” molds with large vents. I noticed that there are open molds as well and left wondering how they differ from “closed” molds and what type of hearing are they most useful for. I can’t reach local Siemens rep, so I thought to ask here.

I’m in the impression that the “open” molds are hollow with only a relatively thin shell. Is this correct? What confuses me is that I know that in Connexx software after choosing the coupling type to be either short or long click mold, you can only select closed, vent size or open. So open ones can’t have any vents in them? Some other manufacturers have hollow molds with a vent.

Can anyone explain what these open molds are and for what type of hearing are they the most suitable for? My audi doesn’t seem to know much about Siemens molds, so I probably need to give her the specs myself to get as good molds as possible.

Thank you!

This is an open dome: phonak open mold - Google Search

The vents in molds affect the frequency response of your hearing in the low frequencies. With a 60 db loss at 2Khz. you may get by with a closed dome, but an open dome will most likely have feedback issues. Image of open, closed, and power domes. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Phonak-Replacement-Domes/dp/B004DIXR7I

The open domes are great if you have mild to moderate hearing loss in the higher frequencies. The open dome allows the lower frequencies to be heard with little or no assistance from the hearing aid. The other advantage is to be able to use the phone by holding it to your ear. No T-Coil or or holding the telephone receiver over your hearing aid microphones.

Thanks Brad,

However, I was talking about Siemens earmolds which go by the name “click molds” (see the link on the original post). I have tried different domes, but they don’t work as well for my hearing as molds do. I’m just not quite sure what the open click molds are and what their purpose is.

No one has an idea? I tried to ask Siemens directly, but I haven’t gotten any responses. It seems like open molds are just some kind of specification not put into production.

The click refers to how molds and domes attach to the receiver. When I trialed them, the audi mentioned that feature is different from other companies. Mold are either hard acrylic or soft silicon. It depends on the manufacturer as to what is available. There are sources for molds from other. various sources. I got a set from Lloydshearing.com.

An open click mold is basically an ear mold made by Siemens that attaches to their RIC receivers and has a huge, “open” vent. The idea is to get the better retention offered by custom molds with the open acoustics of an open dome.

Thanks Justin!

I also finally got an explanation from my audi regards to the question. If I understood correctly, open mold would look like the letter D if placed in the ear canal and viewed from outside. So it’s basically just a skeleton with edges pushing to the walls of ear canal having as large hole in the middle as possible.

And as you said, it works best for someone wanting to have open acoustics with better retention. My audi also said that they might not be the best option for someone with narrow ear canals as the skeleton needs to be quite thick to make it strong enough thus forcing the hole in the middle to be pretty small.

Hope this helps someone wondering about the same thing. Closed molds with a vent were a better option for my hearing.

You can get them with a full skeleton, but depending on the size of the ear canal, you may also be able to get one that is completely in the canal.

could someone post a video or pic of this? I am getting fitted for these for a RIC behind the ear hearing aid. I always had a custom mold, but not for a RIC. How does the mold and the receiver fit in your ear?