Walking with Bluetooth LE hearing aids and streaming - improve reception?

Hello, new to wearing HA’s. I am trying the Starkey Genesis AI RIC. I love the idea of streaming audio with them when walking and exercising. I walk a lot!

However, as noted before, Bluetooth LE needs surfaces to bounce off of to make it to the HAs. I don’t want to walk around with my iPhone 15 Pro in front of me, but rather in a pocket, or held to my side.

Are there any other tricks or accessories to improve the jitteriness?

Thanks!

Greg

1 Like

I always wear a shirt with a front pocket for this reason.

Edit: Also know that with Phonak the Bluetooth is only paired with one hearing aid (right or left) and then that hearing aid is forwarding the signal to the other aid. So which pocket and side you are carrying your phone on makes a difference. Your audiologist can choose which side you want to pair.

That said, if I’m going on a vigorous walk I use ear buds with a more stable connection.

2 Likes

Afaik, that only applies to Phonak/Unitron (Bluetooth classic audio). I’ve streamed from iPhone and Android to multiple models of hearing aid. The ony time I’ve ever had problems was with the phone in the lower pocket of my jacket. The phone was swinging around too much.

3 Likes

I’ve found this issue in a couple of spots on my early morning dog walk, rather than a strong continuous signal, I get signal break up in those open field areas.

I’ve got a pair of Phonak Audeo Lumity Life L90 (a mouthful and a half) and pair these with an Apple Watch.

I wear my watch on may left arm but looking at battery drain, the Bluetooth connection is maintained via my right aid.

While a quick test showed that holding my left arm closer to my right side (sticking my thumb in the space between shirt buttons) solved the connection problem, it was not something I was going to be doing long term.

The breakup does not seem to happen every day, but on the days it does happen, I just slip my watch onto my right wrist.

It has not happened at all inside.

These aids have allowed me to munch through a large number of books since I got them just over 2 weeks ago. The Inner Level, Equal, Animal Farm, The Stories We Tell Ourselves, The Serendipity Mindset, The AI Mirror. It has been amazing.

3 Likes

My aids are Oticon INTENT1 aids, and I have the Oticon Real1 aids as my backup aids. My phone is the Samsung S23, I seldom have any issues with connectivity while streaming audiobooks or music while outdoors hiking. I do keep my phone in one of my front jeans pockets. When I had the iPhone i would have to have my phone in a shirt front pocket.

1 Like