Wait, Are Hearing Aids Cool Now? Ask Millennials

Don’t expect 100% accuracy in this article:

1 Like

I owned these Jabra devices shown–briefly–but returned them. I liked how they worked, but they need to suit your lifestyle. Mainly designed for middle-aged working people, I would say. Handsome, and comfortable. For my life, they were not worth the $800+ expenditure. I have other devices and didn’t really need them.

2 Likes

The problem with most of them they can be fully adjusted to a lot of our hearing needs, and I haven’t seen where the battery life is all that great. For me my aids have to handle being used 16 to 20 hours each and every day without a recharge

4 Likes

Daily battery life @ 12 hours on this one, I think. But they are very easy to pop into the charger/case for an hour, if you are home and not needing them every minute. Very quick charge.

My hearing is such that I can’t afford to go without my hearing aids even for that amount of time. My aids go into the charger at bedtime and they are the first thing that I put on in the morning.

2 Likes

The little voice on my shoulder says, “Whatabout buying these for times when you might lose your hearing aid?”
On the other hand…
I regret that I have rechargeable batteries in my hearing aids. That’s caused me grief. They don’t last long enough…
DaveL

My rechargeable batteries have lasted me all day long, and i have a backup set of aids.

2 Likes

My issue was when I attended hospital and then was kept over night.

I expect that rechargeable hearing aids will be the way of the future. I have a backup set of hearing aids now. They were just set up to my needs last week after being set aside for about 8 years.

I’m really glad I have them.

DaveL
Toronto

2 Likes

The only time i have to use disposable battery hearing aid, is when the hearing aid doesn’t function properly. I love my rechargeable but i keep going back to it because my hearing aid is broken and it isn’t battery related. Battery is the least of my concern because it just last all day long…

Don’ you have a battery powered charger, this will be helpful for you…

3 Likes

Battery life is the least of the issues with something like these. There are many other features that represent a ‘new life’ in the world of hearing aid design. They are worth consideration, especially for a younger HOH person who is out all day working/socializing. There’s a small carry case, and the main charger case is fairly small and could be carried with you, if necessary.

1 Like

Exactly, it is pretty much bring the charger or bring the disposable hearing aid. i choose bring the charger instead, super convenient to plug it into it charger,rather than fiddle with 2 different brands of hearing aid with different sound processing algorithm…

No. My charger is USB connected. I work in construction, so I don’t want to leave my hearing aids in a cord connected battery charger with my hearing aids in it…why tempt lookers.
DaveL
Toronto

THIS is just one scenario where folks FORCED into buying and using rechargeable aids are left completely high and dry, even as the hearing aid maker has gone to the bank with our money.

What about long int’l flights and having to get through Customs? Would anyone here who needs aids 24x7 rely on a single set of rechargeable aids to get allllllll the way from Point A to B? I would have to pack my battery operated Marvel aids JUST for the flight. Then, when we land, and I actually want to HEAR the questions asked by Customs, I’d have to find a place to swap in my newer Lumity Life aids. DOH.

Would the head of Marketing, Engineering, Product Dev or the Pres/CEO of any hearing aid company want to fly in our shoes? Or spend a day or MORE in a hospital bed where there may not even be a spare socket for our stooopid charging bases? No. They’d be wishing that they had a battery option that also delivers outstanding speech comprehension even tho it is no more waterproof than an umbrella full of holes.

2 Likes

Oh no, off topic and descending again into the rechargeable vs replaceable batteries maelstrom.