Video doorbell

I can’t hear a regular doorbell when I am not in close proximity and I like to replace it with a video doorbell. Has anyone installed one and are they loud enough for hearing impaired people? Thank you for your advice.

I don’t have a video doorbell, but I have one like this link. Works very well and very loud.
https://www.amazon.com/SadoTech-Wireless-Doorbell-1000-feet-Adjustable/dp/B00J4FVZU6/ref=psdc_6291369011_t1_B077TTXF4X
Another good one if you don’t mind buying on ebay.

1 Like

You can get chime plugs (not sure how loud) for video doorbells but they’re mostly designed for alerting a smartphone or Amazon echo with a screen. If you have the right hearing aids with ifttt capability you can get a Ring doorbell to send a message directly to your hearing aids. There are amplifiers for traditional doorbells, my in laws moved into a house with one, my father in law used to jump out of his skin when it went off

2 Likes

I have Costco’s ReSound Quattro HA and an iPhone 11. I am familiar with ifft and use it to control my Hue lights but I am not familiar with the application for specific HA. Can you give me more information?

I’ve not noticed Resound on the website but Oticon pops up a lot. Have you searched Ring on there? Looks like you may be able to get it to flash your lights on and off it someone is at the door

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Frieda

I have a couple of Chime doorbells for my ring. You need to go through the sounds to see what works for you. Not all of them are effective, but the dog bark one is handy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is funny! I have a live little dog that barks when the doorbell rings so at least I know when somebody is at the door even though I cannot hear the ring.

1 Like

@frmh
A barking dog, really great idea.
Did you train your dog to bark or was the barking a natural reaction to the doorbell ring or chime?
Knowing my luck if I followed your solution my dog would not respond regardless of training, and that could prove to be an expensive failed attempt to find a solution to missing deliveries etc.

When I am expecting deliveries an encapsulated printed notice is fastened just under the doorbell by a Velcro attachment:

The problem is most people do not read notices and signs.

Recently, expecting a very important delivery I supplemented my usual notice with an A4 sized sign, using extra large font, in an attempt to ensure easy and efficient compliance with Covid 19 advice and the Carriers requirement for Proof of Delivery. The courier simply did not take the time to read it.

I like the Video-Doorbell solution but do not want to carry my Mobile Phone at all times when at home, but given the cost and size of Smart Phones damage is a serious consideration when engaged in daily chores.
Carrying a Phone when cycling dressed in lightweight kit, avoiding loss or damage, is problematic as is the inability to hear or feel an important incoming call unless it is suitably positioned.

Not carrying a Phone at all times presents the risk of not being able to call help in emergency.

With the passage of time the latter is becoming increasingly important, especially those living alone.
The ideal solution to address most of my problems was to acquire a Cellular Watch, effectively it is a Mobile Phone within a Watch format, with vibrations providing notifications that display on the Watch Face.

A satisfactory solution to the problem of not being able to hear the doorbell is the only outstanding item on my wish list.
I am seeking a Doorbell that has the ability to communicate with my Watch. This should be possible along the lines of Video-Doorbells that have the ability to allow communicating with a Visitor wherever you are in the world?

Has anyone found a Doorbell with the ability to communicate with other Devices?
Have I overlooked a Home Hub that offers this feature?
Thanks for reading, stay safe.

I found a UK Telephone number and attempted to use Relay UK to make contact.
Relay was set up for me to speak and receive text responses. Unfortunately I was repeatedly routed to a Relay Operator. Calling the Number direct did enable me to get an answer regarding:

Does Ring [name of product chosen] emit Watch 5 notifications ?

Ring Doorbells can send notifications to Apple Watch.
Regarding other questions I was advised that they could not help, hopefully Users can get better support? It is possible to ask a CS Robot questions but I have not been able to get an answer to my Question, regardless of many variations of Product and Word Choices.
Seemingly Ring are not prepared to communicate by On-Line Contact Form or eMail.
I am unlikely to buy a Ring Product based on experience.

I’m confused. If you can’t hear the doorbell than how do you carry on a conversation with the person once you know there’s a person at the door?

This got an out loud laugh from me. It is funny but…we all have different frequency hearing losses.

We ended up getting a digital doorbell that has selectable sound choices and volumes. With my high frequency hearing loss I selected frequencies I could hear and turned them up as high as they would go. It does pretty good but our dog is the best doorbell. She is LOUD!

That’s what I used to depend on. The dog. But she’s gone now so I put up a no solicitors sign. I know they do have door bells that activate a srobe light.

@hass5744 @Raudrive

The Vibrations are felt on the wrist and confirmed by a Display on the Watch Face.
Even the Voice Communications are useful to tell the Visitor:

Please wait I am coming to th

SUMMARY: Ring Pro doorbell and Phonak Audéo M90 RT HAs connected to the Ring app in the iPhone with Bluetooth.

RESULT: as soon as the doorbell detects motion, I Get a tinkling sound through my HAs, much like the angel getting his wings [see “Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings” (from ‘‘It’s a Wonderful Life’’ 1946)]. Very pleasant. When somebody actually rings the doorbell, there is a distinct sound (hard to describe, but unmistakeable)in my HAs. The physical house doorbell also rings, of course.

To go one step further, today I was perhaps 10 miles from home, and the angel got his wings a few times :sunglasses:. I could then observe the action at my doorbell over the iPhone. This, of course is an advertised feature of the Ring doorbell. I only observed motion, not somebody ringing my doorbell, so I cannot comment on speech recognition at the door.

DOWNSIDE: I can talk on the iPhone through my Phonak HAs, and the other party on the phone conversation can understand me OK, though not as well, perhaps, as if I were speaking directly into the iPhone. However, when I try to speak through the Ring Pro using my HAs, the party at the door finds my speech unintelligible. If I disconnect the HAs from the iPhone, the party at the door can understand what I am saying with no trouble at all. But then, of course, I lose the ability to hear the doorbell with my HAs. Life ain’t totally perfect, I guess.

Yes, and my Ring Pro also rings through my Phonak Marvel HAs.

I agree with @name.withheld on the Ring Doorbell Pro. It’s a hard-wired device (for us) that replaced our regular doorbell but it’s also a Wi-Fi device. It can be a bit tricky to install because the doorbell transformer must match the electrical power requirements of the Ring device (we had to get a new transformer as our 1980’s doorbell transformer was too puny-they’re inexpensive). We also had to get a Wi-Fi repeater for our home Wi-Fi network to strengthen the Wi-Fi signal in the outdoor location of our front door. Once installed, a doorbell press will not only ring your old doorbell chime but you can get Ring Wi-Fi doorbells that you can distribute around the house to places that you could never hear your old doorbell chime. Also Amazon Echo/Alexa devices can be set to respond to the doorbell. And, of course, as noted in previous posts, you can get an alert on your smartphone or smartwatch, which could be a vibration as well as a very attention-catching audio alert. If you’ve used the accessibility features for your smartphone, you can direct the media output for your smartphone directly into your hearing aids. You can share access to the Ring device with other family members via the Ring smartphone app (app for Windows PC’s, too, and I presume Mac’s).

The moment of epiphany on the usefulness of such a device came a couple years ago when we went to Austin for the day. The wife unthinkingly ordered something valuable from Amazon not considering our trip to Austin. So we’re zooming into Austin at 70 mph on IH-35, about 100 miles away from home. The front doorbell rings, the wife answers the door on her iPhone, has a video chat with the Amazon delivery person, asks her to deliver the package to our neighbor next door, and watches the whole process through the Ring doorbell web cam, all the while we’re zooming into Austin at 70 mph with considerable road noise in the car. There are Li-ion battery-powered versions of the Ring doorbell but I don’t know how well the battery would survive the Texas summer heat over a number of years (or extreme winter cold in very northern climates). Ring is now owned by Amazon.

As true for other electronic video doorbells, you can set the sensitivity of the device as to what it detects in the vicinity of your front door or front yard, from People Only to the extreme of a small bird or moth flying by your video doorbell. With the Doorbell Pro, you can paint sensitivity zones, e.g., exclude vehicles in the street but detect anything on your front sidewalk or front lawn. The sensitivity settings come in handy for package delivery. Many delivery folks, especially during the pandemic where they don’t want to have real live people breathe on them or have their route delayed by a conversation, never ring your doorbell. We normally have our device set on People Only sensitivity but some hours before a package delivery, I will turn our sensitivity up to the max so the instant the delivery person approaches our front door, I’ll be alerted. As with all video doorbells, having stored video recording of events at your front door probably requires an annual or monthly subscription (Ring is something like $30/device/year or $100/year for all the Ring video devices you own).

The Ring devices work great with Amazon Echo Show video devices (as I’m pretty sure many other video doorbell brands would). We have several Echo Show 10-in 2nd Gen devices (3rd Gen about to come out) scattered around the house. All one has to do is address the device, “Echo, show me the front door,” to get a live 1080p video/audio feed of the front door view of our entrance and front yard. And then, “Echo, hide front door” to make the view go away and “Echo, hide screen” to make the Show device screen go blank if one wants (and has the right settings). One can manage DO NOT DISTURB time zones on various devices like your smartphone and the Show devices so something at the front door does not wake you up in the middle of the night. One can crank up the volume on any device interacting with the Ring doorbell to the point where the sound level starts getting painfully loud. (BTW, we got our Echo Show devices by waiting for the annual Amazon Black Friday sale where for the last two years Amazon lowered the price from “$229” to ~$150).

So I’d say, “YES,” if you’re very hard of hearing without your HA’s, you can set up a video doorbell so it would be very hard to overlook someone ringing it or just present at your front door.

1 Like