Veteran with questions

I’m a little nervous, I’m picking up my new hearing aids soon. The VA audiologist picked out Starkey Evolv Ai 2400 half shell ITC units.
I really don’t know what to expect. Don’t know anything about them are they good? Will I have a hard adjusting to them? How long do they give you till coming back to re-adjust them? Thank you so much for any information…

2 Likes

They are good aids, if you are new to wearing aids you should get an appointment for a month to two months out. If you don’t want them you should have up to 6 months to return them. Make sure you ask about the next appointment and how long you have to decide if you want to keep them.
I have been getting aids from the VA almost 20 years and I haven’t needed to return aids for different brands but I have had to have ITE aids remade once. And replacement custom ear mold once.

4 Likes

It took a few days for the shock to wear off at sounds like a sink faucet or a toilet running. I could hear my foot steps. Lots of sounds like that felt almost intrusive. And many sounds I didn’t recognize. My wife was patient with me, and my “What’s that sound?!!?” questions all the time. I still ask that occasionally ~18 months after my first fitting. If you can, wait a week to figure out if you need something changed. VA audiology clinics vary in how quickly you can come in for an appt. Mine was a couple weeks out last I tried, unless you only needed to see a tech. Another one nearby has daily walk-in, but they don’t touch my brand’s hearing aids. “Pretty much an Oticon shop” they told me.

I went a few months before I asked for any changes, and that led to accessories like a microphone (very nice Roger On!) and a TV connector. Also a battery pack to go on the charger case.

Best wishes, and thanks for your service!

WH (A USAF vet myself)

4 Likes

Congrats on the big step. The new sounds and input can sometimes feel annoying to some people, but try to wear them all day as long as they are comfortable. If they hurt a little, take breaks. They should not hurt, but you will be aware of them for a while. After time you will have to check with your hands to see if they are in or not. lol Your audiologist may set it up to increase volume slowly to let your brain get used to it - or may have you come back in a short time to adjust things up a bit to where they should be. The biggest mistake many make with hearing aids is to just use them when you need to go to a meeting or go to lunch with others. Your brain needs months to ajust to the new sounds coming in and if you don’t wear them morning til night, that won’t happen as well. Good luck with the exciting new journey. I hope my husbands ears get VA approved very soon - we are still in the negotiating phase via our advocate.

5 Likes

You should make a follow up appointment the day you pick them up for 30-60 days out for any adjustments you may need. You will receive documentation on the day you receive them telling you how long you can test them before they must be returned. You may find out these are just not a perfect fit for you as far as your hearing needs go. You may decide you want to try the Oticon or Phonak instead. Speak up, they are very accommodating. Don’t be afraid to ask for accessories like a tv adapter, dehumidifier, remote, etc. over the years I’ve seen a lot of complaints about the va healthcare system as a whole but, I’ve found their audiology departments excel IMO.

4 Likes

You can pretty much have any suitable brand for your loss and accessories. Don’t be bashful. Do your research so you can ask questions. Always make your next appointment before leaving.

3 Likes

Huh?

1 Like

Wow you guys are just fantastic. I love all the input you make me feel so much more comfortable. I really appreciate all the advice that you have given me so far I’m going to write it all down and take it with me to the VA next week. Again thank you so much!

2 Likes

I wish you great success

1 Like

What type of negotiations? If he is entitled to VA treatment for anything, and has a hearing loss…If that hearing loss meets the VA qualifications for hearing aids, hearing aids will be provided. The standard is quite easy to meet. Also, VA will provide hearing aids even if the VA disability for Hearing is rated at 0%.
Best Wishes,
Dan

2 Likes

Good question! His initial request was denied based on the VA AuD report. A bit later he got another letter saying they didn’t include my husband’s original AuD evaluation along with the VA appointed AuD in their initial review of the request and based on both sources, they now acknowledge that he does have hearing loss. ??? His advocate said he just has to wait and see what they come back with. He is not interested in receiving a disability rating as much as the HAs. He served four years in the navy in the ‘70s on an aircraft carrier.

3 Likes

More than likely he deserves the disability also. I served in the Navy 1968-1977, I have severe hearing loss, I am rated as 50% disabled for my hearing loss. He was on board a ship, I was land based but spent a lot of time in the cargo bay of jet cargo planes without any type of hearing protection.

You all are SO nice. Most sites people get so negative, It’s repulsive.
Thank you all for letting me in on your Hearing Tracker fourm :heart:

7 Likes

If you need any guidance on dealing with the VA, do not hesitate to ask. There are a bunch of veterans on this forum with hearing problems. I dare say between us, we have encountered any problem that you are likely to find…
Best wishes
Dan

6 Likes

Selecting NEW HA’s at the VA — RECOMMENDATIONS??

It’s time for me to replace my Phonak M90-R’s, and either select Phonak or a new manufacturer.

1. What is the DATE in MAY for the next VA REFRESH of devices?

2. NEW VA Recommended Manufacturers / models released??
    Based on these rankings by importance:) I prefer Phonaks’ since they are more familiar, but open to change. Any RIC-BTE HA, using Acrylic molds with occlusion plugs for Moderate Hi / mid freq loss:

A – BATTERY Life, (Rechargeable)
B – Bluetooth “quality”, stays / reconnects completely.
C – Bluetooth number of pairings, Phonak’s current limit of 2 BT drives me nuts, and it appears the now support eight??
D – As waterproof as possible –
E – Great sound, (But, as my posts show, M90’s receivers deliver great, level DB of BT sound, down to 8 Hz – And, I can hear that great bass very well with my occlusion plugs in acrylic molds.)

I guess, I’m fairly happy with M90’s, but don’t know what’s upcoming at the VA in May.

1 Like

The new contract will be May 1 it normally takes a couple of days before the orders can be processed. It depends on the VA clinic you go to but VA handles all brand names, and nothing but the top of the line… Battery life depends on a lot of factors, the amount of power you need, the amount of streaming you do and the use of Bluetooth and if you have Phonak with Bluetooth classic or MFI. The same goes for how waterproof it depends on aids and brands. The sound depends on your hearing loss.

2 Likes

You will have a better selection of top of the line models then anywhere else.

3 Likes

Thank you all. You have really helped me understand the process. Since I’m going to be getting my first pair of hearing aids his week, what is the strangest sounds you have to get used to?
Hearing yourself? Feed back?

1 Like

Most noticeable sounds for me:

Peeing in toilet, dogs toenails on hardwood floor, water running from a faucet, birds singing, walking in gravel, turning pages in my Bible, rattles in my cars, etc.

Birds singing was the most exciting.

Wear them as much as possible. I often go to bed with them still in.

5 Likes

The ones that you have forgotten that are not constant…example…it took me a week to figure out that the refrigerator made noise…because it cycled on and off…
think that is only with older ones…my current one does not make noise that I am aware of…
Best wishes,
Dan

1 Like