Venting types

How does the different venting types impact sound quality/occlusion?
I’m wondering if because of my ear canal size a different type of vent should be considered? Or if I am using the tubing wrong and it not be kept this long? I’m unable to use a canal mold/open mold without it coming out of my ear
Edit:
Vent ripped accidentally while cleaning Earmold and the top part of the left mold looks wonky due to having to shave the silicone down because of discomfort.
On the order form it said I got pinhole vents which are the largest they could put because of my ear canal size.

Check here, very easy to understand why. That left mold looks a bit roughly made?

1 Like

I had to modify the top part of the left mold because it hurt my ear so that’s why.

Basically smaller vent equals better sound quality but makes occlusion more likely. Skeleton mold like you have is probably the best for retention. What issue are you having that makes you think different venting would be better?

1ecb718471d4dd0fa2f9f9e8ce916acb26646061_2_666x500

Just to make shure that we are speaking about the vent holes. Is you request about these ?

1 Like

Looks like that left earmold needs to be retubed or replaced. As it stands, it appears that there is a break in the wall between the sound bore and the vent and the tubing is squished through such that it has become a weird figure eight. This could impact the sound both because it is plugging the vent and because the tubing is squished.

But I agree with MDB; what issues are you having that have you concerned about the venting?

2 Likes

Yes, the silicone between the tubing hole and the vent hole ripped which is why it looks wonky

I just find because of the size of my ear canals the space between the vent and tubing is gets very thin, this makes it more frequently that my mold rip and need replacing which gets expensive since they are around 50$ per Earmold. I wondered about merged venting but I’m not quite sure how that works with the tubing because the tubing would cover the vent.

Did you do that yourself … or did the aud. do that ?

I used a Emory board to fix the top of the Earmold which is now quite comfortable but the vent ripped by accident when I was cleaning the mold. @GrayGhost

@DeafAntifa
From the results of the emery board, it look like the plastic they made the molds with had a lot of air pockets in it, and that is probably what happened in the space between the tube and vent holes … a large air pocket .
Time for new ear-molds made by a different company.

If occlusion is your problem … a larger vent size would be appropriate, my hearing is not too much different than yours a the lower frequencies, and I prefer a 2 mm tapered or funnel shaped vent, 2 mm at the inner ear end and about 4 mm outside. If it is 2mm straight through I have a lot of occlusion.
Other experts may disagree with me and should comment @Neville

I originally used an exacto knife but i didn’t do a great job, that’s why I used the Emory board to smooth it out.

Are you asking about vent size or style.
There are a number of different styles and ways to vent molds.

A Google search for ear mold vent types might help if interested.

There other styles of vents. I’d talk to whoever orders your molds about your concerns. If you’re doing the impressions yourself and ordering the molds, then talk to whoever is making the molds. If you routinely need to modify your molds, acrylic is easier to modify and also holds up better.

This is interesting,I just found this out that there are three major types of vents found in a earmold: parallel, diagonal, and trench. All three vents are designed to accomplish the same thing.
The most commonly used vent is the parallel type; however, there are instances when it may be substituted for a different style vent, the vent type can have a significant effect on the reduction in low frequency energy, as diagonal vents reduce low frequency energy more than parallel vents with the same internal diameter.