VAT on UK hearing aids

I am due to collect new hearing aids this coming weekend - my first “to be paid for” pair.
Does the price include VAT?
Or is it VAT free

I know that if you buy an accessory, say from Connevans, that it is vat free provided you sign a declaration.

Thanks @Zebras for your quick reply.

It seems strange that I will get charged VAT on hearing aids, used on the same ears that can use an accessory VAT free

Yes, I know that HMRC are not always logical

@wiclifmcc

Could be completely wrong but I believe the same is for wheelchairs, you have to pay but wheelchair accessories you don’t.

1 Like

I though HA are VAT free just like accessories, if you can prove that you are exempt from VAT!!!

Don’t believe they are VAT exempt @Baltazard

Just thinking more about this from HMRC’s point of view

They can be “seen” to be looking after the disabled by zero rating accessories, and it is not costing them a lot in the grand scheme of things
But if they didn’t charge vat on hearing aids, then spectacle wearers would insist on the same treatment and that would cost more than HMRC are prepared to loose

My thinking is that from a government / treasury / HMRC perspective they provide totally free of charge hearing aids to all assessed by the NHS or an approved private provider as needing them. Following on I suspect they consider a private purchase is for vanity reasons e.g. in ear not behind ear rather than performance. The reality of course can be very different both the aids supplied and the time spent programming them to achieve the best outcome for the patient.

However assessories e.g. TV listening are not state provided so zero VAT rated when for a person eligible for state hearing aids.

You can get TV Listening stuff and more free from Sensory Services, part of Social Services.

1 Like

Thanks to both @Delta10 & @Zebras for your comments

@Zebras
This is useful to know. If I was ever told that I have forgotten. Having said that nothing I need.

Back in 2016 I was given a booklet of items available from RNID ( I think ) but all to be paid for.

Going back 3 years or so, I purchased Phonak Belong 90 aids from Specsavers, which I returned within the 90 day period. The purchase price was £2395.00. On the invoice 20% VAT was only payable on less than half the pre tax cost, being the aids. The rest of the package, being the bulk of the cost, dispensing services, follow up appointments etc. were VAT free.

1 Like

@hindhaugh90

Interesting … I guess the thinking is the aids could be NHS provided while the remainder is a disability service. Also of course the regulations, which I make absolutely no claim to know, have to be consistant across various healthcare / disability services.

1 Like