V dry skin all around ear

AS well as having stenosis, I have very dry skin all round my ears (like eczema). I have been given ointment by the doctor but I thought it would go away eventually but once I stop using the ointment. Are there any less harsh creams I can use? I’ve tried vaseline but it doesn’t work.

Is the dry skin possibly a form of psoriasis? It can cause dry, flaky areas that can peel and crack when left untreated. You did not mention what ointment your doctor suggested, but I am guessing it is a hydrocortisone cream. When I began having frequent episodes of psoriasis around my ears my doctor prescribed Vectical, a prescription form of vitamin D. He said it would be gentler and safer to use on the face. It is not available in a generic and is pricey. However it helps me when used on a daily basis or at the first sign of recurrence. Check with your doctor as this may be a possible solution for you. Skin on the face is more delicate than other areas of the body and there can be permanent damage if the wrong product is used, especially hydrocortisone creams.

Thanks Iris. I was given Synalar ointment (v good stuff!) as I am allergic to many creams etc. I actually got this privately from a consultant in Harley St out of desperation! I think it is psoriasis but I never had it before until the last year and it isn’t going away! The trouble with using such ointments is the skin clears up temporarily but returns after stopping its use. I may try the cream you suggested but will consult a doctor first. Trouble with most NHS doctors - they tend to prescribe the cheaper creams/ointments due to costs.

I see that you do not live in the U.S. Generics are sometimes available in Europe before the U.S. Vectical is actually calcitriol ointment 3 mcg/g.
Generics are cheaper. (Vectical is manufactured in Canada by Galderma.)

My psoriasis started three years ago. I understand your frustration with its recurrence. If I go more than a day or two without using the ointment, it begins to reappear. Fortunately only a tiny amount is needed and the tube lasts a long time.

Thanks Iris. Just looked at the ointment again and it says next to the name Synalar - Fluocinolone Acetonide Ph.Eur. 0.025% w/w
I am not a fan of generic medicines as I have heard they are not the same quality as the recognised brands.

Carol,
That is what the drug companies want you to believe. In the U.S. if a drug is a generic, it is the same as the original. If it wasn’t the FDA would be all over them. And also if the company making the generic drug was making something other than a copy of the real thing and they got caught, I don’t think they would have enough money to cover all the lawsuits and govt. penalties and fines.