Using Resound TV Streamer+ With Jabra 20 Rechargeable

I installed the Resound TV Streamer+ and paired it with my Jabra 20s and the EnhancePro app on an iPhone 14 Pro using Toslink audio input from my Sony TV. The configuration was easy to following using their supplied instructions and worked flawlessly. I migrated from the TV Streamer 2 to the TV Streamer+. It comes with digital audio cables, analog audio cables, and a USB-C to USB-A power cable. You will need to provide a USB-A 5V power supply. It is about half the size of the TV Streamer 2. The audio input port is a 3.5mm port that takes both digital and analog audio input. The Toslink cable has a standard Toslink side for TV audio output to mini Toslink 3.5mm that plugs into the Streamer+. Pairing was simple, put both aids very near the device and press the pair button on the Streamer+. The TV Streamer+ is pretty expensive compared to the used price of a TV Streamer 2 on eBay. The typical cost I had seen was $300 but I found it for $233.99 plus $3.99 shipping. Each aid pairs independently. Next, pair with the app using a standard Bluetooth connection to enable app control of volume, etc. of the streaming. Some initial observations:

1. The range was significantly longer than the Streamer 2. I walked outside about 200-250 feet before losing the connection and the audio was completely strong anywhere within our house.
  2. The streaming volume was higher than the Streamer 2. I typically ran the Streamer 2 at a setting of 4-6 but the Streamer+ was plenty loud with a setting of 1, actually almost too loud. There is a volume ± control on the device which can be used with the app so it isn’t too loud.
  3. Clarity of sound seemed better although the Streamer 2 was also good. Like the Streamer 2, the audio sync was excellent so there were no issues with audio sync between the streaming audio and the speaker output. There is an adjustment for speedup or slowdown of the audio sync on the device if needed.
  4. Battery life seemed better but more experience is needed to determine exactly how much better. I stream a lot and sometimes would run out of power by the end of the night so this is one of the improvements I was really hoping to achieve. After about 5 hours of streaming today I am still sitting at 4 of 5 power level and ordinarily I would have expected 3 of 5 by now.
  5. The Resound Remote Control 2 can be used to activate/deactivate the Streamer+ and other control functions it provides. I wasn’t sure it would work with the Streamer+ but verified that it works the same as before.
6 Likes

Another option to consider (I’m assuming this is compatible with Jabras, as with ReSound aids, and it likely is) is a ReSound Micro Mic or ReSound Multi Mic. Turn it on and place it near the TV speakers. You can leave it turned on and connected to a charger at all times. The disadvantage to it is that it will pick up ambient room noise too, though this is not a major problem in many relatively quiet locations, as the TV dialogue is easy to follow even with a little ambient noise. As with the TV streamer, you only hear the transmitted sound from the mic in your aids when you select it, not all the time.

A mic tends to be cheaper than a TV streamer, especially when purchased on eBay. You can also move the mic around to different TV sets in the house if needed or take it out to, say, doctor’s appointments or meetings. If you use the smartphone app, as with a TV streamer, you use Bluetooth and can program the mic to work with your aids without an audiologist. You select it in the smartphone app when needed as you would the All-Around program, Restaurant program or a TV streamer. Your smartphone app can switch to send sound directly into your hearing aids from among one, two, or three devices including mics and TV streamers, and you can control playback volume from either the device itself, the smartphone app, or both to get the sound level needed.

I’ve used a ReSound mic rather than replace one of my ReSound TV streamers that died. (Note that TV streamers and mics bought on eBay can be hit or miss in my experience, as they’re often used or refurbs, but as you suggest, the substantial savings can make a roll of the dice worthwhile.)

4 Likes

A couple questions for those that use TV Streamers. How exactly do they work? Do they make your hear aids block out everything else and just tune into the Streamer? If you’re watching TV with family, can you still hear conversations around you? Does the streamer just act like a “boost” of volume in your hearing aids so maybe everyone’s watching TV at volume 10 and you’re hearing it at volume 15? Does it make a difference if you have open or closed domes? Are Streamers more for people watching TV solo, like at night to not disturb other people, or are they versatile enough to use while watching TV with people that don’t need a Streamer? Thanks for any help on explaining how and who benefits from these devices.

For the record, I bought a ‘Jabra’ Multi mic with my Jabra Pro 10s. It failed under warranty, and I returned it to Costco. Costco sent it to Jabra/ReSound. The replacement came with the ReSound brand on the box, the manual, and the device itself.

• Normaly you can hear the TV-sound streamed into your ears and you can hear everything else. And you have the possibility to balance the mix - sound from the TV-Streamer and the microphone input. And if you want to hear just the TV sound and not the surrounding sound then you can mute the microphones of the hearing aids.

• Yes, the streamer will act like a “boost” of volume in your hearing aids so you can boost the volume on the hearing aids up, whereas the other persons are hearing the TV sound in normal volume.

• Yes, it can make a difference if you have open or closed domes. But this depend on your loss and your personal sound preference.

• Streamers are versatile enough to use while watching TV with people that don’t need a Streamer, and for watching TV alone.

1 Like

I will speak specifically to the Resound TV Streamer 2 and Streamer+ but have also used the Rexton TV Streamer. They get their input from audio output ports on the TV. The preferred port is the digital output port also call TOSLINK. The Streamer is paired with the hearing aids and also can be controlled by the hearing aid app which it can also be paired with for more control. The audio is transmitted directly to the aids but the aids also accept the normal audio input from your environment so if someone is speaking to you it is amplified as normal. The TV audio volume and other audio volume can be independently controlled via the iPhone app so it can be balanced to your preference. The Streamer volume is controlled independently of the TV speaker volume control. The TV speaker volume can be muted or very loud and it has no effect on the Streamer volume into the aids. I have used TV Streamers with open, closed, and custom domes and they all work just fine. I am currently using custom acrylic domes and they give excellent TV sound quality and control but so were the other domes I have used. You will hear audio in your hearing aids from both the TV speakers and TV Streamer simultaneously so there could be a slight echo or sync delay but it is not significant enough to be annoying.

2 Likes

A couple to things for people who are connecting the TV streamer + to know.

1. Make sure your tv is set for the optical port. I spent a lot of time until I realized that I had to set my LG tv to built in speakers + optical out. Duh

2. If you seem to be getting clipping sounds to your hearing aids, check your plug in to the ‘black box’. I found the plug in quite touchy. I had to plug in and out several time till I got a good steady signal to my HA’s.
  3. The elongated rectangular box at the bottom of you app saying “TV streamer” has a forward button to the right side. Press this to bring up the TV streamer volume control.

Seems to work really well now. But quite frustrating at first because the app kept telling me that blue tooth would not connect to my cell phone (iPhone SE 2nd gen).

Great. I’m a huge fan of using the Multi-Mic instead of a TV streamer. I, too, use it near the audio output on a TV and it works fine, avoiding the nuisance/expense of getting involved with a TV streamer. Also, if you plug it into the 3.5mm hole on the TV, and link to your HAs, you can avoid the ambient room noise. Again, skipping a special ‘streamer’!