Use power bank to charge ks 10

Can one of those cell phone power banks be used with my ks 10 charger? That would make charging more portable

Yes, but. The draw to charge your HAs may be so low the brick shuts off after a few min because it doesnā€™t think thereā€™s really a load. Somebody (@cvkemp ??) had sourced bricks they would stay lit even with low load.

WH

1 Like

If the KS10 charger is the one Iā€™m thinking of, you can buy a battery pack that snaps on to the bottom of it. Itā€™s more expensive than the USB ones, but more convenient because itā€™s all one piece. Kirkland, Phonak, and Unitron versions are interchangeable and readily available on ebay.

2 Likes

Yes, you need a battery bank that supports trickle-charging so it wonā€™t shut off once the aids are charged (which will turn the aids on). Some of the Anker branded ones have trickle charging, I got this one for to charge my Bernafon aids and it works perfectly
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B08K7GHZ3V?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
I only have to charge it once a week, itā€™s very convenient.

1 Like

I changed my settings not to have the aids turn on when power is removed.

WH

2 Likes

Please explain this a bit. So when they come out of the charger they donā€™t turn on? Or does this make a portable power bank work?

They donā€™t turn on when they come out of the charger, or if power is interrupted for some reason. If you used a power bank that worked to charge them but not idle until you pulled them out, they would charge up and then they come on because the power went out. Changing the setting makes it so they charge up and then if the power is removed, wait for you (off) to turn them on when you put them in your ears.

WH

1 Like

Yes, the automatic-turn-on thing was so annoying, it was literally the first thing I changed! The problem wasnā€™t that taking them out of case turned them on. It was that unplugging the case and tossing it in my bag to take to work turned them on. Accidentally kicking the cord out of the plug turned them on. A portable charger running out of juice turned them on. And then theyā€™re just sitting in the case running and draining the battery for however long it took me to notice.

2 Likes

Same here. The turning on coming out of the case is no big deal. Realizing they only have half charge left because theyā€™ve been on since 1amā€¦.

WH

Not to speak of power outages. I prefer to insert the HAā€™s when theyā€™re off anyway, so thereā€™s no squealing.
If you donā€™t do your own programming, what do you say to the audiologist? From some of the horror stories one reads here, not all audis would know what to do.

I donā€™t know about KS10s, but for Lumity, you can do it in the MyPhonak app. Click ā€˜Devicesā€™ at the bottom, then scroll down to ā€˜Auto-Onā€™.

1 Like

Same for paradise. No need to wait to see audiologist.

WH

Maybe of help :point_down:t3: :

I tied using a power bank with my KS 10ā€™s whilst away in Asia. It would not work for me, not enough load.

Terrific - thank you - I have a trickle charge power bank that works perfectly but couldnā€™t work out why Iā€™d need to turn it on again for an hour to finish charging. Had a suspicion it was them draining again after charging but LOL didnā€™t clue up to the turn on thing !!! Didnā€™t know it was a configurable setting either but will definitely look into it now.

Will have the added benefit to allow me to start them in airplane mode if I want. Btooth has been driving me a bit barmy since getting a Galaxy Watch & having the H/A bluetooth auto connect to phone/watch bla bla. WHEN will they add a ā€œdisableā€ auto connect for the bluetooth standardā€¦!!!

For others - look for any power bank that has trickle charge or guarantee to charge airpods or buds or smart watch.

1 Like

I donā€™t pair my HAs to my watch. That drove me buggy. The audible alerts are enough.

WH

1 Like

As mentioned, power banks do work, as long as you look for one that supports trickle charging (if they say they work for headphones/earbuds, it usually means they will work for your HA charger). Also keep in mind for some of these power banks, there may be a specific way to turn it to trickle charging mode. So some of you may actually have power banks that are compatible, you simply arenā€™t changing the mode to support charging your aids.