Upgrade resound one to omnia?

I’m thinking of switching from resound one to omnia. They say it’s much better at understanding speech. What do you think?

I’d take that with a pinch of salt, I think you should do your research before committing, actually I’d say don’t bother, if anything the Nexia is out and offers LE Audio with Auracast (in a future firmware update) maybe try them out and see what you think.

ok, but the model Nexia is recent.

Yes, the Nexia is the most recent Resound hearing aid. If you want the latest, the Nexia is the one to get.
If you can somehow get a really good deal on an Omnia, either new or used, that’s another question. I doubt that there would be a huge difference between the Omnia and the One.

2 Likes

ok. So I’ll wait for more information from nexia. if there are practical differences in terms of speech understanding, compared to one…!

I understand that it is normal for brands to always say that the current model has several improvements compared to the previous one, but practical reality teaches us otherwise. But in fact omnia took 2 years to come out after one, nexia only took a year. and news: new Bluetooth® Auracast? what?? :slight_smile:

It is very difficult to tell if there are “practical differences in speech understanding.” All we get are what seem to be vastly overrated marketing claims and anecdotal accounts of a big improvement. My take is that most of the big improvement see is because their hearing aids are now adjusted to their current loss instead of settings from a year or two (or more) ago. Very few people get their current aids adjusted to their current loss and then compare to a new hearing aid. That said, I do believe hearing aids are gradually improving over time. If you’re going to pay new hearing aid prices and want Resound, I’d get the Nexia.

1 Like

ok. i wait to nexia.

Anyone care to speculate when or whether Resound will introduce a Jabra version of Nexia through Costco?

It’s been mentioned they will, time will tell it won’t be long before we know for sure.

Every new hearing aid model gets marketed, not only by the company making it but the audiologists selling it, as “much better at understanding speech,” “much better in noisy environments,” etc. This is marketing hype. The companies know many people are at least a bit dissatisfied, and push our buttons. I don’t doubt that the newest models usually are a little better, because the companies are working to tweak performance in these areas. Just not much better.

Unless you’re struggling with everyday situations and have exhausted every avenue to get improvement with your current aids and have money to burn, I don’t think it makes any financial sense to upgrade hearing aids every model year or two. Do you trade in cellphones, computers, and new cars after a year or two? You will pay a very high price to sit at the top of the tech curve. I suggest waiting at least four years and more if you can, given the cost of aids.

1 Like

hamjor1
“Unless you’re struggling with everyday situations and have exhausted every avenue to get improvement”
I tried to get my hearing aids setup properly for two years.
Along the way I was blaming my hearing aids; my audiologist said they were setup properly.

He finally asked me to find someone that could help me more than he could. (He fired me!)

I did. I can hear now that my hearing aids are setup properly.

Good hearing aids can be ruined by someone that doesn’t know how to set them up.

Absolutely, they can. If you hadn’t switched audiologists, I’d recommend that first, rather than new aids. I’m glad you found someone who was willing to work with you and is much better suited to your needs.You can pencil that pro in for your next set of hearing aids. But I don’t think the benefit from switching aids now would match the out-of-pocket expense, depending on your financial situation. If you’re still on the fence, you can always ask the new audiologist for a free trial of Omnia or Nexia and say you may want to keep the aids you have if you don’t feel there’s a big boost in performance.

1 Like

Good advice right here, you got to trial yourself to know for sure.

2 Likes

I quite often see people here say that the Resound Omnia is not much different to the Resound One. In terms of what they can do for any particular loss, that is probably true, but they are technologically speaking very different

The Omnia has a faster more powerful chip with a lot more onboard storage than the One. Resound make claims about speech in noise working better and have adopted the catchphrase about Organic Hearing (ie more natural sounding amplification).

I had Resound Ones and now I’m using Resound Omnias. Personally I think the speech in noise performance is indeed better and generally the speech quality sounds less “digital” to me, so I think the Omnia is a big advance over the One. This is particularly noticeable to me in the All Around programme.

But if I were buying today, for sure I would buy the Nexia which uses the Omnia chipset but includes Bluetooth LE Audio and Auracast.

2 Likes

I agree, I had the ONES with m&rie and they were good for the time period. Omnia platform is far better at suppressing back ground noise and with Focus improvements, I think there is significant difference.
I just picked up my Nexia which besides Auracast and tap to take calls , smaller foot print

3 Likes

@chrisbabolat if you don’t mind, please comeback with feedback about Nexia