Update...do not buy used hearing Aids off Ebay, Costco

Your seller is ill informed. I can program the Brio’s, Brio 2’s, and Brio 3’s. You didn’t read the examples that I gave you earlier before we digressed into talking about finding an independent who will program stolen hearing aids?

Here’s the examples again (of Brio’s being programmed by other than Costco); Example1, Example2.

1 Like

This is my opinion only, but if you have a typical ski slope hearing loss and money is a big issue, buying a used pair from eBay and just wearing them as is might make sense.

1 Like

Not quite sure what you’re suggesting. If you’re suggesting buying a pair of aids from somebody who will take an audiogram you submit, select an appropriate receiver and program the aids to the audiogram, that could work, although it might not be that cheap. If you’re suggesting just picking random aids of ebay and wearing them as is (previous user’s programming), that doesn’t sound like a good idea. It might work, but kind of a crap shoot.

1 Like

I thought he meant the latter myself. Ski slope is pretty common so I see his thought as being a pretty good bet. Yup…kind of a crap shoot.

The pair I bought off eBay recently had the left one programmed with the tinnitus masking feature turned on. I didn’t actually try to use the existing programming, but it seemed to be for a moderate loss, not the severe to profound loss that I have. They have standard receivers with short wires. The standard receivers seem to be adequate, but I don’t like the short wires. I am used to open domes and these have what I believe are called power domes. Kind of a double dome thing. I will say they were way cheaper than going to an audiologist. A little over $500 and they are still in warranty until 2020. Buying off eBay isn’t for everyone, but it is about the only way I could afford decent aids. A friend of my wife gave her a pair of Phonak BTE aids. I don’t remember the model. My wife gave them to me and said for me to use them. I but batteries in them, turned them on, and was blasted by very high level sound. These were meant for someone with a really severe loss at all frequencies. I gave them back to my wife’s friend and thanked her for her concern. I don’t know what happened to them. I think that they might be fun to play with.

Yikes!!

1. Don’t wear hearing aids that are programmed to someone else’s loss! At least get them programmed to your audiogram.
  2. Don’t wear receivers that are not within your fitting range.
  3. Don’t wear receivers with wires that are too long or too short. They generally come in sizes 1 thru 5. Know your size.
5 Likes

What brilliant advice!, :-1:

That is what I’m suggesting. I do believe in most cases it would help. Not everyone has the money to afford the luxury of an audiologist and made-to-order HAs. I actually asked my audi if I could wear a pair of my wife’s old aids while mine were being repaired (we have similar loss) and she said absolutely.

Regarding your audi’s ok to wear your wife’s old aids: Your audi knew what your wife’s loss was like and how the aids were programmed. If you’re buying random aids, you have no idea. I think there are better options.

I’ve looked at many of the audiograms from users on this forum. I firmly believe that the overwhelming majority would be helped by the HAs of a random member. Not perfect, but far, far better than with nothing. For someone scraping just to get by I think it would be a worthwhile gamble. JMO.

2 Likes

Or they could be hurt; CAUTION: A BTE Power hearing aid is a powerful hearing instrument. If you have been fitted with BTE Power, never allow others to wear your hearing instruments as incorrect usage could cause permanent damage to their hearing.

You don’t need the luxury of an audiologist to get hearing aids programmed to your audiogram/hearing loss.

1 Like

Sure. Best practices. Wise sage advice. Could do damage. etc.
I agree with member98 for his same reasons. It’s a worthwhile gamble. Be very aware of course…but worthwhile nonetheless.
As for luxury…if you’re struggling to get by then you’re not running out and spending a few hundred on programming gear either.

It doesn’t even require a few hundred on programming gear.

You can get them programmed on EBay for less than $100. Sometimes you can get them programmed free from an EBay seller.

It is not a worthwhile gamble. There are better alternatives.

1 Like

Right. I forget that some places might set them up for you from free to a small fee.
But the keyword is gamble. Short of going to the hassle of having someone program them for you…it’s a gamble that the larger majority of HA wearers likely have similar-ish losses.

It’s foolishness…

I just glanced at your audiogram and it appears to me you could probably hear better with my aids than with nothing.

Interesting conversation.

It makes me extremely grateful that I’m fortunate to be in the UK. The NHS isn’t perfect, but it would solve the problems mentioned in this thread

Incidentally, I’m a Costco member here in the UK. Got a pair of spectacles there a few years back. Great price vs specification.

They don’t have an audiology department in my local store as far as I know. I do know that generally they’re pretty helpful, although I have had poor service in another branch.

Wonder if they’ll introduce audiology services to the UK stores.

The Costco in Watford London has an audiology section.

Oh right. Might be worth a trip there?

Have you any idea of the range available there? Checked the UK website.

I emailed them and enquiried about Phonaks. From my understanding they offer the same as the US and in the same names as well.