Unusual Problem With New Moulds

I have lumity 90s with power receivers which have proved to be excellent.

However - after a few months with power receivers and large closed domes - I have started to suffer from sore ear canals. I have tried other dome sizes and configurations but experienced feed-back problems. It may be that I have developed an allergic reaction to the dome material causing the soreness - if so a surprise - because I have used domes without too many problems for 20 years.

My audiologist suggested I tried hard moulds to see whether it would solve the problem and organised them from Phonak. I received them 4 days ago but initially found them a fiddle to fit because at 86 years old I have reduced dexterity. The right one has proved a real challenge to insert, but once correctly in place the moulds are comfortable and I had no sore ears.

However the right hearing aid body sometimes fell off my ear when I looked down. The mould stayed in my ear and the wire stopped the aid from falling to the floor. This did not happen with the left aid.

So I took a careful look at the aids with them placed side-by-side. The problem was then evident.

Both wires were identical and not handed - the right mould had been fitted with a left handed wire. Hence the wire was acting as a torsion spring - making the mould more difficult to insert and causing the hearing aid to twist and do a Geronimo off my ear.

I have taken them back for rectification and returned to using domes and sore ear canals until I get the moulds back.

4 Likes

How frustrating! I hope it’s not long until you get them back.

Ouch. And the audiologist or HA dispenser did not notice this when they exchanged the domes for molds. Somebody was having a bad day.

1 Like

I would think the receiver change could be done in office or the wire could just be rebent, unless you’re using UP receivers which have to be done at factory.

1 Like