Uninstalling Roger receiver from a malfunctioning phonak hearing aid?

I have a beloved pair of 4-year-old Phonak M90s that I’m replacing with Lumity L90s because one of the M90s stopped functioning (it won’t power on) and they’re out of warranty.

I have a Roger Select iN whose receivers were installed into the M90s. I’d like to use it with my new L90s but I can’t uninstall the receiver from the bad M90. Wondering if anyone has any tips?

When the bad M90 is in the charger, it blinks green once then goes solid red. When I pull it out of the charger, it won’t power on. I tried resetting by holding it down in the charger for 30 seconds, no luck. I tried following the Roger receiver uninstallation steps with the M90 still in the charger-- the Roger installation indicator light switches from blinking green to solid red, which I think means that it initiated contact with the M90 but encountered an error. Afterwards, I confirmed that the Roger still has only one receiver re-installed (the one from the working M90).

I guess I might need to buy a new receiver, but first I wanted to check here to see if anyone has any tips. Any suggestions on things to try to “wake up” the M90? Before it died, it was operating erratically for awhile, e.g. would stay on for a few minutes before shutting down. I should have uninstalled the receiver when that was happening, but I wasn’t thinking ahead!

Maybe connecting it to the Target software would wake it up.

Reset : press and hold the volume button down for 30 sec.

2 Likes

If that happened to me I would take them to my audi if he couldn’t fix it he would sent them to Phonak. Overnight mail both ways probably no charge.

Thanks for the clarification. Tried that too.

I will have my audi send the devices to Phonak to see if they can at least retrieve the receiver. I’ll post the outcome here.

1 Like

Any luck uninstalling the receiver ? I’m having the same issue with a dead M-50 right now.

We call that the red light of death. Needs a manufacturer repair. Maybe if you still have the Roger X shell your audiologist could ask whether the manufacturer could try to unload it as a special favour.

2 Likes

Apart from sending the HA to the manufacturer so they can retrieve the licenses, there is no other way to get them (licenses) out of the HA if they (HA) are out of service?

If all else fails download the Roger upgrader from the Phonak web site and reclaim the missing license/receiver.

5 Likes

I ended up having my audi send the dead HA and the Roger mic to the manufacturer and for a fee they recovered the receiver and put it back in the mic. Then I paid $300 to have the dead m90 repaired; I think they just gave me a new one. Subsequently, my other m90 started failing, but now it’s too late to get it repaired. I should have had both of them replaced at the same time. So instead I just bought a used replacement pair for $500 on eBay. But now I can’t get the new pair to work with the Roger. Maybe it’s time to get some L90s…

Did the newer HAs connect to the mic? You need both the receivers installed AND to connect. Not sure how with that particular mic, but you can think of it like pairing, although I don’t think it really does anything to the mic, it configures the HAs to receive from that mic.

WH

1 Like

Yes thank you, I had forgotten the final step of pairing. That did the trick. Once I realized that, I deleted the previous topic that I had posted about it.

2 Likes

Update: you can do it via the Phonak Target software. I asked my audiologist to do it for me. It is as simple as linking the Roger ON IN to the software by entering its serial number, power it on, then connect the new HAs to Target. They will be automatically installed.