UK based portable loop system

Hi all, so I have been talking with my health and safety guy at work and we were discussing options to help me cope with the large open plan (and noisy) office.

They have mentioned the possibility of a mobile / portable loop system - I am hoping that some people might have some input of good options for the office - mainly so I can hear my team, but not necessarily the whole office being amplified. I have oticon hearing aids - so ideally it needs to be compatible. If anyone has any good recommendations, please post the name (I’m not sure if links are allowed)

I’m guessing this place could answer any questions. Do your hearing aids have a telecoil? I think that would be necessary. Hearing Loop Systems what are the options?

I might be looking more towards a remote mic or two. Not sure if one can have more than one remote mic connected at the same time though.
The loop needs input. Then yes out to telecoils in the aids.
But if your team is together in your general vicinity then you could strategically place the remote mics around to pick up their closer-by voices.

1 Like

thank you for the responses - my hearing aids do indeed have a t-coil setting turned on.

1 Like

Is it for a desk job where you are mainly in one place or do you have to move around a big open plan office?
Or is it for some team meetings 1 or 2 times a week in a corner of the open plan office?
Portable loop system needs a microphone, just like a bank/post office cashier (with hearing loop), where they talk to a microphone behind a glass frame and you you will get the audio through the hearing loop system.

A bit of background around your situation could help narrow the best option for you.

1 Like

My situation - we are on a fully open plan floor - I sit with my team in the same bank of 8 seats every day, and I have my own desk. Behind me sits a team of around 25 customer service agents - mostly on their phones all day every day to clients. Prior to hearing aids it was always a low murmur, however now I can hear every person and it’s incredibly overwhelming that I can hear everyone.

I’d like to be able to hear my team, but I dont need to hear everyone else in the office in perfect clarity from 10 meters away.

I’ve spoken to HR today and I believe we may be getting Occ Health involved to see what they may think would be the best helpful equipment.

1 Like

That’s a tough situation, I can’t see a microphone solving this problem, but I could be wong, people on here can perhaps add their experience; But my thinking is this:

1- You will need a quiet place far far away from CS zone.

2-a You will need at least 2 table microphones like the Roger Table Mic.
or
2-b Maybe microphones on the ceiling!!!
or
2-c Remote microphones like the Oticon EduMic

3- Work from home!!!

Great you have telecoils and Occ Health involved. Adding to the discussion: ask a couple of hearing loop companies to give you a bid for what they think is a good solution.

The right kind of microphone at the right locations are key. You want to to pick up your team, not all the background noise.

If you move a lot, a portable counter with daisy-chained microphones might give you an additional option.

Another resource, US-based https://www.hearingloop.org/