Tympan - The Open Source Hearing Aid

Well, here’s something interesting I hadn’t seen before! Anyone tried it? @ConZ27 @glucas

https://tympan.org/

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, but I’m not sure why you directed your message at me - I have never really been involved in hearing aid software development. I am a technical director of pathology laboratory software, which is an entirely different subject !

Oh sorry you must be the wrong gianlucas! I meant @johnlucas

Haha. No worries :grin:

1 Like

Right @johnlucas here :slight_smile:

Thanks @AbramBaileyAuD sounds interesting will check it out.

1 Like

Hey abram,
thank you for the link, it sounds really interesting. I already have tried to create an android-app. But my smartphone is way too slow and far away from real-time. Tympan looks like to be a good point for restarting.
But it’s just a hobby for me. What do you think, is 250$ a fair price? I have expected it to be at about 150$.

It looks like something you play with rather than an alternative to an actual HA. Something to start transitioning to real-time programming abilities. You aren’t going to get RT from Python and such. You are talking C or C+ without many modules enabled. You are working more with a C that’s closer to the K&R original that was meant as an alternative to asm. Probably optimizing sections of code in assembler. Doesn’t have directional mikes etc. So the results would still be rudimentary.

There are 2 microphones, and a stereo mic input. Seems sufficient to create a directional microphone system.

Seems reasonable to me given the hardware / software provided. I also agree with @KenP that this is more of a dev tool than a hearing aid replacement… though I could see using this device for a number of real world applications today.

Yes of course, this is not a replacement for a real HA. As I said earlier it is just a hobby. My real HA has a maximum output of 132dB, the Tympan board “only” can handle up to 120dB.
@AbramBaileyAuD thank you for your estimation concerning the price.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. It looks very interesting. I have been experimenting with micro controllers for quite some time. It looks like a good platform for development.

v/r
Jeff

1 Like

Related thread The ASUS Tinker Board is a compelling upgrade from a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ | Hacker News

For those interested, there’s a webinar coming up from the ASA on Tympan Streaming Broadcast – Spring 2018 Minneapolis - Acoustical Society of America