Trouble with moulds

If this is correct molds could actually be detrimental to fitting your loss. The audiogram is a very important part of the hearing aid process.

How did you and your Audi decide on the type of custom mold for you? I will hopefully be getting a Phonak P90s this month and would like to get custom molds. For the last 3 years I have dealt with domes (size, type, shapes, open /closed etc) and they still cause me issues. The present ones do not stay on my ear. TIA

I think ideally you’d have a discussion with your audi and state your priorities. Which is more important discreteness or the mold staying put? Which is more important eliminating feedback and getting maximum gain or avoiding occlusion? I think those are the two key questions. If you’re ok with a skeleton lock, pretty sure mold will stay put. Venting and how deep the mold sits in the ear canal affect occlusion.

2 Likes

I searched the forums for custom fit and c-shell seem to be popular. Also, I think it was Neville recommended them to me. I has the small tip for retention so they would not just be like CIC. Also, my fitter agreed, he had a lot of success with c-shell. Just be sure you get a good ear impression. Phonak mfg methods for custom molds is very good.

1 Like

OK, so I’ve got an appointment tomorrow with the technician to switch me back to domes, and I’ll maybe ask for an appointment with the technical audiologist to consider my options. But that won’t be for several weeks, and I can’t stand these moulds that long.

But perhaps someone can explain a couple of points:

• The moulds cause that blocked-up feeling - my voice and chewing sounds are very loud. I couldn’t follow a conversation while eating. Is that an inevitable consequence of a good fit? What causes it anatomically - bone conduction?
  • Part of the motivation for trying moulds was that with domes the HAs give poor mid to low frequency response (dropping 12db/octave below 375Hz) making direct input shoes or a neck loop useless for music. The moulds are no improvement. Is that blocked-up feeling something you have to live with in order to get a sufficiently good seal for adequate low frequency response?

It truly sounds like the fit is poor. If they were tight in the bony part of your canal the problems you’re describing wouldn’t be present. I think the squishy part of the mold is too squishy. Needs to be higher durometer material, or just acrylic.

Yup. If your hearing is still too good in the low frequencies, a mold will have insufficient venting for a comfortable sound (plugging/occluding), and appropriate venting will suck for streaming music (crappy bass). It is what it is. Hearing aids aren’t headphones.

1 Like

I am going to add my 2 cents here. I definitely prefer moulds. I have Phonak Paradis and the bass is marvelous - never heard that with my Widex’s. I now only have domes - waiting for the moulds to come in next week.

The problem with domes, is insertion. If they are just “in the ear”, I find I am losing alot of sound. I have to take care to precisely insert them into the canal and then the sound is wonderful.

I opt for moulds so that I can get that insertion done easier and avoid sound loss. Of course moulds can wiggle out a bit but a simple tap puts them right back in place. The domes take much more effort.

Its all about the interface. A great aid with a sub-optimal interface , is useless.

1 Like

Hello, I did used soft molds coming from just domes, it was an improvement but the occlusion was always an issue. I remember my right ear handle that better that the left because my right is completely deaf, so occlusion is not an issue for the right.

And the left soft mold always was getting out. Today I have a pair of acrylic molds. I am finding that this acrylic molds doesn’t insulated the ear from sounds even you do not have vent opened on it. If I go to gym for example I always will get the ugly music is playing, it overcome my own music. With the soft molds it wasn’t happening.

So, I think if I have occlusion issue it is better go with acrylic molds, because also, this acrylic will let you do sizes open/close vent more easily that soft.

Today I use the very small vent on the left and no vent on right.

You should definitely bug the hell-out these people until they make you feel the benefit of hearing aid without make you feelings you use hearing aids.

This is normal and proper. Telecoils are for speech telephones. If made full-bass you would pick up all the 50/60Hz hummm in the room. They “must” cut bass. Speech will still be intelligible.

There are other technologies for music. I get blutooth down to 90Hz. Trying to deliver deep bass through a dome or non-sealed mould would require massive boost and eat the battery. Your hearing -may- be flatter at high level. I have nearer full-range hearing at medium-loud level, typical of speakers and headphones, and do not need my aid.

1 Like