Transmission range of Roger Select vs. Roger On

I’ve used the Roger pen, the select, the table mics, the partner mic, and now the On. I no longer need the pen or the select. All I have to do is keep the one device – the On – with me and I don’t need the others. The partner mic is useful if you’re with only one other person. It tiny, light weight, clips on easily, and very effective. But the On does everything the pen and select do, and also works as well as the table mic.

4 Likes

One place where the Select has a feature that the Roger On does not have is that the Select has bluetooth. In my personal situation I struggle with phone calls. The Select can be connected to an iPhone for example and in my case I then have better speech recognition that with the iPhone on speaker phone setting.
I certainly do appreciate my Roger On in noisy room situations where many people are present and speaking. First device I have had that is strong enough to be helpful in this tough situation.

All Roger iN devices like the Roger Select iN doesn’t have Bluetooth.

With Phonak Bluetooth Aids, I don’t expect any of the new Roger Mics to have Bluetooth.

Also you can’t use Bluetooth on any of the older Roger Mics with Phonak Bluetooth Aids as it makes the Aids not work.

Obviously different if you don’t have Phonak Bluetooth Aids.

Good point Zebras. In my case I am in my eighties, have a Medel CI in one ear and a Phonak Naida in the other (older than 5 years old). So I needed to find a solution that worked for me that didn’t require replacing the whole shooting match. My iPhone 13 certainly works better on speaker phone than the iPhone 7 and so that has helped too. But the iPhone with the bluetooth equipped Select works best of all except that you have to plan ahead before making the call.
Too bad there is nothing that helps with understanding speech from people that were born speaking another language and so have a strong accent that makes understanding their speech very difficult. In those cases I really need to have my wife along to translate for me. She met a bank teller the other day that could speak 4 languages. I guess this is the world we live in now,

1 Like

@rsinclair123

Why do you need to plan ahead to make a call?

I used to use the Pen for Bluetooth calls and I could leave the Pen and phone connected in one room and walk around the whole house and I would be made aware if someone was calling.

The Pen would be connected via Bluetooth to the phone so I guess I could carry the Pen around the house as well but I didn’t.

When out, I wore the Pen around my neck.

I personally think the Bluetooth works better on the Pen than the Select, but that might be just me.

I preferred using the Pen over the ComPilot for phone calls.

Well it’s a bit complicated. One - with the expensive Phonak receiver on the Sonnet CI battery cover, you never can be sure it is working. When this happens I wipe down the electrical contacts with WD 40 and a Q tip and reinstall the cover - then it works. So if I am going to make a call I “test” that ear to make sure it is working right. Two - I use my iPhone for calls - it works better but the you have to plug in the wire that connects the Select to the phone, So if you get a call on the phone unannounced or planned it takes time to get things functional. By the way I learned that both the receiver I use for the hearing aid and the CI receiver were programmable for increased volume so that has been done and helps. I do use the phone on speaker phone frequently but the speech comprehension for me is better when I use the Select
I don’t leave the Select connected for long period if time unless I am listening to a podcast with my computer. The CI has two large batteries and when the ancillary equipment is hooked up the battery life is fairly short. I could use 4 batteries in a day. Rechargeable ones have even a shorter life.
I too have been through the Roger pens stage - with multiple connected pens etc as I learned ways of coping with noise present, But I found that in larger gatherings the pen - being used in pointer mode - was just not strong enough to allow me to understand the speaker. So i would have to stay on the perimeter of any group to even have half a chance I could cope marginally.
That’s why I was pleased when I got the Roger On the day before I was attending a funeral reception. For the first time in 20 years or so I could cope in speaking with two male relatives with the ON held 18" or a couple of feet away from the speaker’s mouth. And now that I am in my mid eighties I seem to be attending funerals frequently.

Oh - and for me, using the ComPilot ended when I got my CI, The CI would not function properly with the ComPilot working.
Now if they could invent something that would help with speech by a person that learned to speak in a language other than English. Boy that is a toughy. And the other day in the bank the teller had a sign at her booth that she could speak 4 languages, With those situations I have to have my wife along to interpret for me.

1 Like

Yes all Roger receivers have an extra 10 dB. The 02 receivers can have an extra 8 dB of gain on top of the 10 dB.

Oh I forgot that the Med El Roger is built into the battery.

I was just mentioning that the ComPilot for me is worse then using the Roger System.

Thanks for spelling out the limits Zebras. Think I will bump them up another notch.

You can only raise the EasyGain via an Inspiro or Touchscreen.

Yes - my Audi at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto has access to an Inspiro. I will see her.
I just need some more umpf in a noisy environment using the pointer mode - like at a funeral reception I recently attended. The reception was in a church. Peak roofed churches are the worst for hearing in in my experience.

I have a program just for those places. Fellowship hall at our church, being one example. It selects up the “comfort in echo” program. If I leave it in autosense, it will swap in and out of “speech in loud noise” which is pretty disruptive to my activevents.

WH