Top hearing aids at Walmart

Together with HearAdvisor, HearingTracker has completed testing of 24 pairs of OTC hearing aids being sold online at Walmart. Full write up to hit HearingTracker imminently. I had to share some early data though :slight_smile:

PS. These devices are for no worse than mild to moderate hearing loss. SoundScore also reflects a target hearing loss of mild sloping to moderate.

Update: Here’s the article

4 Likes

Sony’s CRE-E10 getting perfect score in Sound Score is bonkers IMHO.

1 Like

The HAs tested with closed or even power domes score higher then those tested with open domes. And their intentions are to have this information used for marketing purposes by those HAs with higher scores. I am disappointed with their testing setup and their published results without also noting this where it is quickly obvious to viewer.

OTC HAs with occluded earbuds styles should by design rate higher then others with their testing criteria.

All scores are normalized based on the top scoring product (Sony). No product got a 5.0 :slight_smile:

Openness is a factor for SoundScore absolutely, but it’s by no means the only factor. Here are the results of all products tested by HearAdvisor thus far, but dome type.

You didn’t read the FAQ on our leaderboard page did you?

Also to be clear, the SoundScore was only one of many metrics that went into HearingTracker’s scoring regime.

1 Like

Only two open dome HAs in the list… Interesting.

Wow, I see a lot of changes since I first looked at the FAQ. I appreciate much, a lot, of what I read. I noticed how you rated an occlusive effect in the fitting results.

And, the below statements are black and white. Especially with all but two open domes, it seems. Many of the prescription HAs tested had ear tips that let little air out. There are more open and more closed gradients of the results in the dome types tested. They are not all “all open-fit”.

What about “open-fit” vs “closed-fit” hearing aids?
“Open-fit” hearing aids are hearing aids that leave your ear canal open. All of the prescription devices tested to date by HearAdvisor are considered open-fit hearing aids. “Closed-fit” hearing aids are those that seal off your ear canal with either a tight custom mold or rubber / silicone ear tip that lets little to no air in or out. Devices such as the Sony CRE-C10, Jabra Enhance Plus, and Apple AirPods Pro 2 are considered closed-fit devices.

The open-fit configuration has several implications for sound quality, benefit with hearing aids, sound localization, and hearing in noise:

…This is followed by a nice list and description of benefits and consequences of open-fit HAs;
Which, if it was clarified above that there are gradients in the prescription HAs it would be more consistent with your tests.

That is not clear when the top line reads only the following then followed by only SoundScore details. This appears to be what we are discussing

The HearAdvisor™ SoundScore Leaderboard

@AbramBaileyAuD, Thank you for listening to some of the critiques in this forum.

I’m referring to HearingTracker’s score not HearAdvisor’s.

Good point about the open vs closed fit passage. I will revise that soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes