Tools for removing stubborn Wax Guards

Advice needed:-- Source of tools for Extracting Faulty Wax Guards. I cannot remove the Wax Guards with the Cerushield disk,
I need a good quality tool to enable me to extract a misplaced Wax Guard in my Phonak Paradise P90R hearing aids– I have looked at available various Surgical Micro Hook and Right angled Hook devices but the outer diameter or length of the hook seem too large to enter into the speaker opening to enable me to dig into the-Wax Guard to extract it, I would welcome advice on the ideal tools and the source of supply to enable me to remove these Wax Guards.
In Anticipation:
Many thanks,
John B

I also use a very fine needle and I bend a hook on the end with a pliers or a tweezers.

3 Likes

Good tip–Many thanks-

Many thanks–Good tip–But my fingers are no longer mobile enough to grip and manipulate small smooth shank needles–

JHB

1 Like

I sometimes have to use a small pocket knife. I get under the edge and push away from me

1 Like

If you get a wax loop and a set of fine side-cutters you can make quite a handy tool.

Cut off one of the ‘legs’ of the loop at the plastic end; then cut the wire again to leave a J shaped wire ‘hook’. Crimp it slightly with a pliers if the loop of the hook needs to be smaller.

I’ve used this tool to help with all sorts: including remounting detached receiver tubing in ITE.

1 Like

Lots of great suggestions here John5! I had the identical problem as you with my Marvel speaker. On one of them, the cone-shaped thingamajig inside that wax guard was hopelessly JAMMED in on an angle. I found a simple needle did the trick … BUT! It was critical to have something like one of these dental magifying lenses with a light so I could see what I was doing.

Boggles my mind that Phonak actually thinks these ridiculous Cerushield discs with their nifty little drag and drop wax guards are just the ticket! I don’t think there’s a human being on this planet that can operate that silly little disc. For starters, you can NEVER remove the wax guard in the speaker; and then try pressing your thousand dollar speaker on the NEW wax guard. If one of those two things doesn’t BREAK under pressure, it’s a miracle.

I can’t even advance the stooopid circular holder to the next slot! Impossible unless I SPIT on my hand and take HOLD of the coin-thick disc to turn it.

I recall that Oticon had a MUCH easier way to just lift out and put in a rubber-type wax guard. No idea who came up with the rocket science Cerushield discs for Phonak, but I’d like to fashion a similar method for getting into their house: either you get on your knees and remove a wax guard from your itty bitty front door lock and then insert a NEW key made from plastic that’s just as itty bitty … or you ain’t gettin’ inside. :imp:

I use a very fine sewing needle to remove jammed P90 wax guards. Last time I stabbed my fingers 3 times.

I’ve had my P90’s for a year…I don’t think kindly of them.

I wish there was an alternative.

How can I change the kind of wax guards used?

DaveL
Toronto

Not sure on this,but will the Widex stick type wax guards remover/installer work,or are the wax guards a different size between the two brands?.Huck

1 Like

Huck these wax guards are so much smaller than the guards that were on my previous two pair of Phonak’s. I’ll look at the Widex stick type.

2 Likes

Just had my first wax guard jam - and it was a guard installed by Phonak after some warranty work. Hadnt had a problem with the disc installation system.

Using advice above, I used a small sewing needle and kinda flipped it out. (I’m sure the dogs will find it.)

New guard went in with no problem.

Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Thanks for searching before posting the question again!

WH

Yes, I’ve had to do the same. Small sewing needle is the TOOL alright! Luckily I flipped the waxguard onto a countertop - so only I could eat it.

3 Likes

I had to do that today. Needle and I survived. No blood was shed.

Whoever designed these….should have to use them.

2 Likes