To use a dryer or not

I have some of those that I don’t use on my CPAP mask. I will give them a try on the HA’s. Otherwise they are going to go to waste, never used. Thanks for the suggestion.

I used to use the Hal-Hen system. One thing that one needs to be reminded of is that you need to check the blue beads every night to make sure they are still dry. If they turn grey, you need to put all the beads in the jar on a cookie sheet and bake them on low heat until the blue beads turn back to blue once again. I found this to be a pain in the a-- and went to a Serene hearing aid dryer that has low heat and UV lamps for sterilization. I believe Phonak also make a version of this system.

1 Like

Strange. I am at 2 months and no hint yet of the beads needing regeneration. 30 seconds in the microwave every 2 months (most likely more) is fine with me.

I live in the Chicago area that is very humid climate in the summer. I have been using the ReSound GN Hearing Aid Dehumidifier Jar with Microwavable Desiccant for the last 7 years without any problems. Once a mo. I put the removeable Desiccant pouch on a plate and put it in the microwave for a min or two, let it cool and put it back in the plastic jar. I have also used the Stay-Dry, Hal-Hal, and others over the past 30 to 40 years since they came out. Every night my HA’s go into the jar, I have never lost a HA to moisture since I have used one.

1 Like

I guess they changed the formulation. I got a jar about 20 years ago with my first Hearing Aid and putting the beads in the oven was the way to go back then according to my audiologist. Now I guess you can use a microwave. It stands to reason that slightly moist beads would dry off using a microwave.

Current instructions say 30 min at 350 F in oven, and additional 10 min increments until the silica gel turns blue. Or, 30 seconds at medium in microwave, with additional 30 second periods until the silica gel turns blue. Microwave sounds like less hassle.

Ok I took the plunge
This is what my family bought for me to help take care of my aid

Mint Box keeps your hearing aids, in-ear monitors, earbuds, airpods, earphones, and in-ear headphones performing at their best. It features a simple one button operation to both dry and sanitize hearing devices in just 3 hours. Regular use results in improved acoustic performance, reliability, and hygiene. Mint Box includes a convenient travel case, USB cable, and AC power adapter for flexibility.

Never heard of Mint Box. Looked it up. Found it on Amazon. Sure looks like it should do a good job. You done good.

1 Like

It’s a brand of hearing aid dryer.

@dusmith1.ds, @Raudrive - can you provide a link for Amazon? I am having trouble finding it.

If that doesn’t work, try “amazon mint box hearing aids”
Google is my friend.

Thank you, both! My searches for “Mint Box” and “MintBox” with and without “hearing aids” were giving me different results.

My wife had picked a different one but it was out of stock then picked one $6 less but said she read about some cord issue so found The Mint Box and liked what she read so we will see will do a thread on it after I use it a bit

https://www.mintthings.com/products
So far looks great designed in Germany
Built in China
We will see ,will be doing a review post on it within the next month after I use more

From a technical perspective- be careful not to get a dryer that gets too hot. In the past, the hearing aid speaker (technically called the receiver) uses a gold plated Mylar plastic film to make sound. Much like the winter window film that you heat with a hair dryer, when that film gets over heated it can tighten. This will kill the aid. Many drying methods are fine but what you want is moisture evaporation. This could be a desiccant jar or simple air flow past the aid. Open the battery door, place the aid in the dryer or on top of the dresser where there is an air current. Just do not lock them in a case or plastic bag. If the aid is dead and a relatively new aid, the moisture is probably in the receiver tube, clean and dry the end of the tube. Always use a wax/moisture guard in that tube. If the aid is dead, change that guard first before panicking .

“From a technical perspective- be careful not to get a dryer that gets too hot”

To all following this thread, please heed BruceEricks advice. The description of the Mint Box plainly states that it reaches 120 degrees in order to achieve the drying function. I would never ever expose my devices to that high a temperature intentionally.

I have the Phonak hearing aid dryer and it doesn’t heat up like the cheap knockoffs from China. Yes, it costs more but worth it. I never heard off Mint box until now. Drying temperature is too high.