Tips for managing rain with hearing aids

There are some old threads, but possible people have newer suggestions. What tips do you have for managing rain? Do you remove your hearing aids and place them in a bag, case, pocket in a pinch? Some mention using a hat to shield the aids, but that helps only if the hat is always accessible in the dry. I’m less concerned about the drying out process once back home and instead looking for tips to avoid them getting wet when it rains. I can’t carry an airtight case with a desiccant everywhere.

Before I got my present aids I used to carry a sandwich bag with me when exercising because if I got caught in the rain they would get waterlogged and shut down. My present Jabra aids are water resistant and I just ignore the rain. Maybe that’s why they’ve started giving me problems (streaming music in mono and not being recognized by the Enhance Pro app :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wear a hat with a wide brim, it protects my aids

2 Likes

I have Phonak Lumity L90 R. They seem to be pretty good in rain. They are IP68 so they “should” be OK in rain.

Do people really exercise with hearing aids?

It’d be great if that were an option, because I do a lot of group activities and I’m fairly anti-social for them because I can’t hear well without my hearing aids, which I don’t wear when exercising. My Oticon Intents are IP-68 rated. Still, I’m not sure that really accounts for salt. I sweat a lot.

I wear a Tilley hat as a long time canoeist.
It worked well in my Miatas when I had them. top down in the car of course.

I have to have my hearing aids on. I used to to ignore the rain unless it was really crazy, then I would just put them in my pocket. It caused no end of problems with the hearing aids…corrosion/rust in the battery compartment. Even working on the farm caused problems from sweating into the aids.
I now have Phonak Naida Paradise UP. These hearing aids don’t seem to allow water/sweat to go into the battery compartment. I have them checked every 6 months or so when I go in for new tubing and in 1 1/2 years have had no rust or corrosion with these.
So, I guess the answer depends on what hearing aids you have.
Dan

3 Likes

I wear my aids from the time i wake up until i go to bed. If it looks like it could rain i wear a hat with a brim wide enough to protect my aids. On beautiful days i wear a ball cap.

3 Likes

Yes, I bicycle with a group a few days a week and definitely want to talk to them, along with hearing car horns.

3 Likes

Yes, my aids go in as soon as i wake up and i only take them out at bed time. And i hike the forest trails here, and i aslo ride my Vespa Scooter. Yesi wear a helmet. I live in a very humid area of the country, and i naturally sweat a lot. Back about 15 years ago i did have issues with sweat killing my aids but all my aids since then have handled sweating without issues. I use to always use a dryer for my aids but not since getting rechargeable aids.

4 Likes

I wear my old/backup pair to exercise. Before that I was wearing a pair of Airpods Pro 2. My old OPN are so much better than the Airpods with custom transparency mode… When I am done and back at home I run a 45-minute dehumidifier cycle and the OPN are ready for another day.

1 Like

My bag is big enough to carry a case so if it’s raining I can put them away.

Like i said earlier i wear my aids from the time i get up until I go to bed. Rain or shine, amd while exercising, or working in the yard. I protect my aids with a wide brim hat if rainning, and with a sweat band and hat while hiking or working in the yard. I will be disliked for saying this but I don’t look for excuses to not wear my aids. I have every reason to never remove them.

1 Like

When you say sweat band are you referring to an around the head sweat band or the small hearing aid sweat band covers?

A sweat band around my head. I have used any special protection just for my aids.

New hearing aids are less sensitive to water than hearing aids were ten years ago. But keep in mind, “water resistant” (which is how they’re marketed now) does not equate to “waterproof.” “Water resistant” means you have a margin of safety if you step into the bathroom shower or rain very briefly while wearing aids. I wouldn’t push it, expecting them to survive an extended tropical downpour. As another poster suggested above, even if they live to hear another day after really getting wet, you can have delayed issues later with any soaked electronic device.

My old aids a decade ago would conk out in light moisture conditions, but even though I’ve not experienced a similar failure with my five-year-old ReSound Quattros, I still reflexively pull them out of my ears and stick them in a dry pocket if they start to get wet.

1 Like

I do the same as you do, brim hat, sweat band, and keep a handy wipe towel in my back pocket, not a choice but a must procedure, but in some rare exemptions in the heat while using my chain saw, I just remove them during that sequence, I wear a face guard then with ear protectors anyway, the time it take to swap is good time to relax. 19 years of wearing HA’s Ive’s come to dislike loud “anything”

1 Like