Tinnitus masking is a revelation (When it works

I’ve been trying a few models of HAs over the last couple of months, as well as onboard and app based approaches to my tinnitus. Very LOUD tinnitus, louder than voices - which was making comprehension very difficult.

I found that listening to apps’ sounds that were in the same frequency as the tinnitus (from the ReSound Relief app) of crickets and birds tweeting over headphones or Bluetooth into the HA made the tinnitus retreat. +30 minutes a day reduced it for about day. But it always comes back.

The in-HA masking settings my audi setup originally were blends and of musical tones and natural sounds. Sure they were nice and soothing, but didn’t find them effective for anything hearing related. Once we targetted the tinnitus’ frequency, the benefit of masking was immediately effective. A counterintuitive, weird, cool effect that comprehension is improved, even speech sounding clearer, by adding a noise in the range of the tinnitus.

This from a non-believer, thinking masking was malarkey. If you have tinnitus and haven’t explored masking, make a point to.

2 Likes

Are you a vet? Get in the program, if so. I took a tinnitus program about a year and a half ago with them. They provided a bunch of hardware besides the treatment program.

WH

2 Likes