Tinnitus: if suddenly worse, can it get better?

My tinnitius is worse in my right ear, louder and 24/7. I have been using Flonase and a steroid spray to open my eustachian tubes for about two years. I wonder if one or both may have contributed to the sudden rise in my tinnitus. and so I’ve pretty much stopped using them.

Have folks here ever had tinnitus get suddenly worse and then, after a time, go back to something like it was before? or is it always progressive, with no going back?

i hope this helps

the more stressed I am the worse my Tinnitus is and the more I notice it

I have had it for decades

2 Likes

I think it depends on the cause. I’ve had it appear out of nowhere in response to noise exposure (never had it before that) then gradually get better over several months and eventually disappear.

2 Likes

Thanks. Tinnitus has been long standing in my right ear, but has become a bit louder and more constant recently. I’m hoping that if I back off the nasal sprays, it may revert to its old form–a bit quieter and less constant.

The thing is, I have no idea if the nasal sprays had anything to do with this. No one does. so all I can do is feel my way forward, and hope.

I am getting better at ignoring the new, louder tinnitus, so in that sense I feel blessed! It’s fading from my awareness, just like the ‘old’ tinnitus.

3 Likes

I taught myself to be totally relaxed about tinnitus @jeffrey, I don’t bat an eyelid nowadays when it goes off the scale, I have had extremely loud tinnitus for 30 odd years, since SSNHL… At first, it nearly drove me insane, I was almost suicidal… Eventually, I realized it will fluctuate greatly, so you can become more excepting, of tinnitus. In my MD days (Meniers Disease) I regarded tinnitus as a blessing, it became my early warning system, that a vertigo attack was now imminent, the louder the tinnitus became, the closer the attack was, it was time to lie down for a few hours, and ride out the vertigo… Eventually, I experienced burn out, after approximately 8 years, the vertigo ceased… As I said, nowadays I am totally relaxed about tinnitus, a few years ago, I started exploring relaxation techniques when tinnitus was particularly loud, and annoying… I told myself, “you know it will get quieter, so relax”… I repeat this several dozen times to myself over 20 minutes to half an hour, and the tinnitus will start too quieten down (it is almost like turning down a dial) eventually going from maybe 8 or 9 out of 10, to perhaps 1 or 2 out of 10… It works for me… Cheers Kev :grin:

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear your tinnitus has increased.

I’ve noticed that my tinnitus cranks up anytime my body becomes stressed due to a new Flu or COVID-19 vaccination, an infection, etc. My tinnitus will suddenly ramp up until my system somehow adjusts, or I recover from the infection.

Anger or frustration can also bring on my tinnitus.

My tinnitus is my personal messenger that something is bothering me.

Good Luck,

David

1 Like

I’ve had tinnitus for ~30 years. Strangest occurrence was as I walked under a noisy fan on my way to a hearing test. One ear suddenly switched it on LOUD. Of course, I did very poorly on that ear and the technician insisted I have an MRI to check for a tumor. As my wife kidded me – they didn’t find anything.

I still have tinnitus but no more sudden increases.

Yes, it can calm down again.

Rule out any new jaw or neck issues and any drug changes, but then yeah: ignore ignore ignore.

1 Like