This is all new to me and a bit scary

Hi. This is my first post. I have always known my hearing was not great but recently got accepted on a PGCE teacher training course in the UK.

Last week I got a hearing test. My hearing loss can best be described as moderate with high frequencies being the worst. The lower end is only just in the moderate range. As I said this has not been a big problem for me and I can even have a conversation in a busy bar, or a live music venue. The thing that got me worried was that the Audiologist said hearing aids only work for people a couple of meters away so seemed they would not help in a classroom.

Last night I was with a small group of people in a room and because of the seating, I was around 5 meters away from the others. I could only just make out what they were saying, especially the people who talked quietly. The realization that I needed to do something really hit me and I started to get quite anxious.

So today I did a bit of googling and found the ReSound Micro Mic. This sound like it may work well. I have filled in their form to get n Audiologist to contact me as I am not impressed with the one at the local Boots Chemist in the UK who did not seem to know about this type of thing.

Any advice would be much appreciated, Especially if the device is good or if there are any better ones for my situation. Finding the ReSound Micro Mic made me feel a bit better but it’s still all a bit scary.

3 Likes

I’m assuming you have Resound hearing aids? If so, their MultiMic is generally considered a better device. Phonak hearing aids can use their Roger microphones (Roger On iN and Select iN and others) which many people like. The Roger devices can also be used in conjunction with the MultiMic but it gets more complicated.
There are lots of post on the forum about these devices. If you decide to pursue other devices, make sure you either read up and understand compatability issues before buying or buy from somebody with really liberal return possibilities.

5 Likes

Here is my MultiMic. I carry it and use in noisy situations like when visiting my mom’s retirement community and eating in the dinning room. The MultiMic is better because it works horizontally to pick up sounds from large areas and vertically to focus straight locally. I can lay it horizontally in the center of the table and hearing everyone at a large table. Or she can wear it vertically and i can hear her while the background sounds are subdued. I got mine used on ebay for less than $35 and the seller has tons of them.

2 Likes

I use ReSound Quattros and I’m extremely sensitive to background noise. The MicroMic and MultiMic pick up noise as well as speech. They function IMHO best as partner mic or guide mic or as a last resort as tablemic if there is no background noise. The Roger On on the other hand has noise suppressing capability but is in a completely different league pricewise. I use it with a X-Receiver / MultiMic gateway to the HAs. This is what works for me.

4 Likes

user695, Welcome! It sounds like you are not wearing hearing aids yet, and just found out that the hearing test you took showed showed a moderate with high frequency loss. Have you considered getting hearing aids (HAs)? HAs may do the trick without the need for for the ReSound Micro Mic, but perhaps I misread your post?

Regarding being anxious, that is such a natural feeling with respect to this, I hope your time spent in this forum here will be helpful in answering your questions.

1 Like

There is no distance limit on hearing aids. I was in a concert hall last night, and could hear voices from the stage. I am a lawyer who is regularly in court rooms, and hearing aids have made a tremendous difference for me. I have also been a teacher (although not in decades), I did not need hearing aids then, but if I were to return to the classroom, they would make a huge difference. I don’t know who told you they don’t work beyond a couple of meters, but that is simply not correct. They deal with the sound reaching your ears – wherever it came from.

1 Like

Could the GN Micro Mic connect to the Oticon Xceed directly or via an audio shoe? Your kind imput is highly appreciated.

I don’t know. I would guess that the Oticon EduMic would be the way to attach to other microphones. I’ve never heard of trying to use Resound and Oticon tech together. I’m also guessing more knowledgeable people will chime in.

1 Like

The picture looks wonderful. GN MicroMic connect to Phonak connector then to your Resound Quattros HA. Can it works this way - GN MicroMic to Phonak connector then finally to Oticon Xceed HA?
Your kind input pls. Thanks

I think the HA company should design “one for all and all for one” accessory. With so many types of accessories, it is a headache to us!
Just like telephone charging system, standardized it universal charging head.
Thanks

Thanks for everybody’s replies. Very encouraging. Just to clarify. I do not currently use a hearing aid, and although I know my hearing is not great, it has not caused me much of a problem. I am now going into teaching and am trying to preempt any problems I am sure I will have. People talking softly or far away can be difficult to hear.
It sounds like I should start with just a hearing aid. I am in the UK, and I hear the ones I can get for free have gotten a lot better. Any advice on the type I should consider for my situation would be much appreciated. I am thinking of something relatively discrete, and I know this may be expensive.

1 Like

Go to NHS and have your check first and see where is your hearing loss level. An audiogram will be provided. Then the Audiologist will advice you what type of hearing aids are required for your hearing loss.
Take your time.