Thinking of buying Roger Focus and Roger Pen

My serial where 2001 for pen and focus. Maybe newer serial dont have this problem… u have 218 yes? Wonder wht ill receive from ebay.

Pen and Focus wasn’t out in 2001.

The serial number is likely 2020.

Hi Nikita,

Beyond adjusting the loudness with the volume control Roger Focus has a feature called EasyGain that can be used to adjust the output level by +/- 8 dB. Unfortunately for you this feature is only accessible through the pediatric device Roger Touchscreen mic or it’s predecessor Roger Inspiro. You would need get access to one of those devices. However, I must admit I’m uncertain exactly how this feature behaves in relation to the volume control, i.e. if it’s in addition to the volume control or if it controls the same setting as the volume control. I need to get back to you on that.

1 Like

awsome. thanks. ill try dealing with it till i meet soemoen with a roger touchscreen i guess.

as for pinpointing so close to mouth that somoen was talking about, here is a video that clearlly says you dont need to get close to anyones mouth for it to work. you just sit and point towards :slight_smile: i love cliff!!

cliff on pen

and this crazy real world test !!

The EasyGain feature can be used by the volume control buttons on the Focus according to google.

I’ve got both the Touchscreen and the Focus as well.

1 Like

Thanks Zebras, that’s what I wanted to verify.

1 Like

Hmm well then thats not what im talking about. The volume levels suddenly change when im using the pen in a noisy situation. And even if im on lowest setting its still very loud. When im in a quiet setting that same volume setting (lowest) is too low for me. But in loud settinfs the lowest volume is way way too high. Its like it senses there is more noise and just ups the volume. That’s what im talking about. I don’t know how u call that. But it annoys me so much and is the reason i hate omni use. !! It does it in pointer mode or lanyard mode of very loud noise. But in omni simple supper will do it. I have started pulling slim tube out of ear and letting it hang when that happens.

Thanks zebra. I was starting ro shop for a inspiro or touchscreen. Saved me money. :slight_smile:

I found the Pen to be awful in omni, it just picked up so much noise and was super loud.

I find the Touchscreen to be a lot better in group mode.

1 Like

Thanks for visiting!

Ah! I was not thinking about the sound path!! Too many years doing that for a living.

You have to “think like an ear”. If the ear wants to hear, does it hide behind the napkin holder? As said, the #1 trick is CLOSE. Going from 10 feet to 1 foot from talker is 10 times the signal and much less echo and clatter. Head-size objects in the way are small impediments but best avoided.

With a simple omni mike, both directions are about the same. But Roger is directional and “smart”. If only Ann is talking, Roger will aim for her. When Bob is talking, it aims for Bob. However real life is never simple and there will be situations when it is not clear who you want to listen to.

Roger is small and can’t be real directional every which way. That disk thing is clearly a better shape for picking up around a table. It has leverage to pick out one or two talkers and ignore the rest of the world.

And as said, these sophisticated and expensive products are normally sold with a try-it-and-see policy. And should have personal support to explain features and settings. (Though not when bought second-hand.)

1 Like

Found this image

I think its pretty coool to helping understand how to use :slightly_smiling_face:
It actually does omni all around up until 70 db. So yeah in a restaurant it wont do it. That’s probably why some are saying the select is better :slight_smile: cause the beam mode when too noisy is only pointing ahead. :slight_smile: Now i want a select too . Need the pen for sure but the select for dinner time family would be awsome!!!

4 Likes

Nikita,
thank you for posting the overview, it helps VERY much! I knew part of the table but didn’t know anything about the different behaviours at different Noise levels.

Anybody know if there’s anything comparable for the Select?