Thin tubes vs. standard tubes

I plan to buy a new set of Widex BTEs. They will accommodate standard tubes and two sizes of thin tubes. I have a severe bilateral high frequency loss, much better in the mid and low ranges (please see audiogram). I have Signia RICs now, which are fine, but I thought my old BTEs were more “natural.”

I’d like advice about which size tubing is likely to be best for a high frequency loss. “Cosmetics” are not important.

–Steve

Looking at your audiogram my guess is you could use slimtubes but it all depends on the aids in relationship to your hearing loss. You really need to put your audiogram into the particular hearing aid brand fitting software along with the exact hearing aids you want to put slimtubes on. It’s that critical to know for sure.

If you want to wear BTE aids with slimtubes my thoughts are you need to do some research about which aids you like that will support slimtubes with your hearing loss.

My audiologist recommends Widex Moment BTE. This aid comes with standard tubes and two different widths of slim tubes. I was just trying to figure out which works best with a high frequency loss. Thanks. --Steve

There’s no such thing really, you don’t get slimtubes for high frequency as such, the tubes you need to use are based on your level of loss overall. As your audiogram shows you’ll benefit from the 1.4mm size tubing which offers to reach your level of hearing loss.
Those 0.9mm may not quite make it, but you’ll notice this straight away when comparing them. As @Raudrive has mentioned you’ll really need to check exactly, remember your HAs need to be programmed depending on what size slimtubes are used, trial and error I guess.

1 Like

It’s not trial and error. The software knows what it needs to do for proper fit with either size tube.
The fitter will need to enter his audiogram and select which tube and acoustics will be used and see how they fit his loss comparing target gain and real gain.

You get more gain with standard size 13 tubes but the slimtubes are very comfortable and practically invisible like RIC aids.

The OP needs to understand how the gains are impacted by tube size.

1 Like

I am using twin walled tubing, I hadn’t heard of it until my AuD told me she was using it with the Naida Paradise UP, she said it helps with feedback, and I believe another 5db of gain? Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Took a look at Target, the P Naida aids do not have the slimtubes or power slimtubes available as the Naida aids of earlier generations.

When I looked at Target I did look at slimtubes fitting with a few different aids. The gain is generally Lee’s across all frequencies for proper fit compared to size 13 standard tubes.

No what I mean was trial and error for tho OP, as in to find out which one he like to use.

1 Like

Yes, agreed.

Back in the day before iPFG recognized slimtubes on Naida aids I was putting them on Naida aids. That was trial and error but worked great.

Now Target has the calculations for slimtubes or power slimtubes. It pretty slick stuff.

2 Likes

What is a power slimtube? I suppose standard tubes will have more than enough gain for my hearing loss. Probably slim tubes will too. I’m interested in a more natural sound, especially with music. Are slim tube likely to work well with my high frequency loss? I’m not really concerned about how the hearing aids look, just how well they work. --Steve

Standard would be 0.9mm, as stated the 1.4mm slimtubes would be suitable for your loss, the 0.9 won’t be enough.

Well that would be the 1.4mm.

Next level would be earhook and tube.

Yes, but so will earhook and tube, so you’ll need try yourself to know exactly which works best for you, your audiologist will respond to what you want in most cases.

With the 1.4mm slimtubes you should be using a slimtip which is a custom made mould with vent, the size which will be worked out between you and your audiologist.