The "Volume Control" book!

I boguht the Kindle verison of the book “Volume Control” and read the entire 310 pages in 3 days. It was gripping reading.

Examples:

• The video and matched & unmatched audio experiment that proved just how MUCH we ALL depend upon lip reading in ALL of our conversations. Even the pros get fooled by that experiment when the actual word being said by the speaker, and heard by the ears, are “overwritten” by the listener’s brain

• Chapter 9, which describes just how greedy some of the people in the hearing aid indsutry and supply chain are, and how their self-centered lobbying in The U.S. has delayed the introduction of easily self-programmable hearing aids for many years. And how Bose and Apple are giving some people hope for a better future.

As the big states, despite the hearing industry’s profit-induced foot dragging, there has never been a better time for a person with a hearing impairment to get effective help.

If you haven’t read the book, I’d sincerely recommend you do. You do not have to read the entire book in detail - I myself skimmed or skipped some of the 310 pages when they got into technical content that went beyond my current interest. But there are plenty of gold nuggets to find.

Jim G

1 Like

I agree 100%! I first read the book 3+ yrs. ago when the pandemic was new. I immediately ordered a pair of Bose Hearphones (this book describes their creation and function) and wore them instead of my HAs throughout the worst of ‘Covid-times’–they didn’t fight for back-of-ear space with mask elastic! They are no longer manufactured (sadly), but Bose used them on the way to the HAs they now sell. I’ve given the book to several HOH friends and a copy to my public library. It is currently about $5, used, online.
As Jim says, the look inside the hearing-aid-manufacturing industry is priceless. I still use my Bose Hearphones alternately with my new Jabra Enhance 10’s–especially as a TV-listener. No TV streamer necessary!

1 Like

My wife has a pair … there are several models listed on Amazon

1 Like

Thanks for this reminder. Most of those on Ebay are selling from China. Supposedly, returns are possible, if one decides against the product.

OK. That is BRILLIANT! During the pandemic, I tried face masks with behind-the-ear elastic straps and found they either 1.) folded my ear FORWARD with too much tension, yanking my ear “beans” right off my ears or 2.) constantly got tangled up with eyeglass frames AND RIE “bean” behind the ear. SO frustrating!

I kept my ancient AGX ITE aids, but the sound quality is so awful I’d only frustrate myself wearing them with a face mask.

There are many earpods at Amazon, but I’m guessing my level of hearing loss would render them near to useless?