The paper linking hearing aids use to decrease in occurrence of dementia was retracted

Unfortunately, after checking the original results and correcting them, the opposite results were revealed.
Meaning that HA wearers are at higher risk of dementia.
Of course, correlation doesn’t imply causation and there are probably other factors at play common to HA wearers.

Just pick your article and your scientist. I still like this article from last year, citing Dr Lin, at Johns Hopkins; he is often quoted with valuable hearing news. AND here’s another example of the biggest, ugliest hearing aid one is likely to see. Is this going to convince anyone to go out and get a first hearing aid, even if they greatly need one? The Hidden Risks of Hearing Loss | Johns Hopkins Medicine

I don’t care whether it is true or not hearing aids are very important to me, and should be for anyone that was born with being able to hear then started having hearing loss

3 Likes

I’d prefer to get all the facts no matter how ugly, rather than pick and choose what sounds nicer to me.

This paper is about something else, and the article is focused on the mistakes of the original paper and correction issues. It’s not intended for potential users of hearing aids.
Stock photos are dominated by such images (as discussed in another post around here) and are used because they’re most clearly associated (unfortunately).

Lin’s work was about linking dementia to hearing loss. This paper was about decrease of occurrence of dementia among hearing aid users, which was proven to be untrue (sadly).

The topic of wearing HAs as "dementia prevention’ device is fairly new, but was used widely to push the sales.

Obviously, there are other reasons to wear HAs (and I’m an user of them too).
I’m just a messenger, don’t throw stones at me please.

Reginald—I certainly did not intend to cast stones at you or anyone! I was just commenting on how scientists and those who use their work push back and forth on findings and interpretations. Yes, I realize those are stock photos, and that graphics editors choose them so that the article can be quickly ID’d as being about hearing.

1 Like

Thank you. I think such findings and corrections are massively important. Otherwise we’d be lulled into thinking that the 'increased dementia risk" issue was fixed and fine, when clearly there’s something else going on and needs to be solved.

My personal gripe with this is how quickly sellers jumped at the opportunity to use this to push sales, when it was still unchecked and knowing that Chinese universities are infamous for pushing tons of sketchy papers.

2 Likes