The Oticon Connect Clip Scam

Hi darylm. It may be misleading to generalize from personal experience regarding battery life.

I have used my connect clip almost continually for several years. I bought it when I was fitted with OPN 1 shortly after their introduction. At that time the connect clip needed recharging every four to eight hours depending on in which mode it was being used. Now it needs to be recharged every one to two hours. This connect clip has always been recharged and maintained according to Oticon guidelines. It has always been recharged as soon as the indicator light goes orange/red and has been fully charged each night.

1 Like

My connect clip is connected to the home phone connect 2, some days I do not have to take by one call some days I take calls on an off most of the day. My connect clip gets charged nightly. If I am only using my connect clip as a remote which happens most of the time I could go three or four days without charging it.
The real issue I have faced it the connect clip is that if I have it connected to my iphone then even with the iphone powered off it will not connect back to the phone clip without being paired to the phone connect again. So I have given up on using the connect clip with my iPhone. I have also found issues with using the connect clip with the iphone and also having the aids connected to the iPhone, that being the streaming will break up or I will only have the streaming to one aid, normally the right aid and that is my worse ear and I do not understand the caller at all.

How many years is ā€œseveralā€? I ask because itā€™s somewhat vague and to point out that even a well-cared for battery will not last forever. Batteries lose a bit of capacity every time they are discharged. This applies to car batteries, phone batteries and ConnectClip batteries - every type of battery. The only time Iā€™ve seen the recharge indicator is when Iā€™ve forgotten to charge it after using it for a day. I normally charge it every day after I use it. Itā€™s very rare that it wonā€™t last the entire day. The battery in your ConnectClip needs to be replaced.

I almost never use the ConnectClip with my iphone, because itā€™s not really necessary. I find that the built-in microphone in the iphone works well enough. Also, I normally have it connected to my laptop, where it is necessary. I occasionally use it with my android phone.

Until we got the new vehicle I used in when driving because here we are not allowed to even look at our phones. So I normally have it in a pants pocket or in the glovebox. But I find it so stupid that we are not allowed to even look at the phones but the displays in the vehicles now or more distracting then the phones ever were.

Hi daylm, I got my OPN 1 aids shortly after they were available in the USA whenever that was. My audiologist told me about them at my annual hearing check and I jumped on board. Maybe 2017. Sorry I canā€™t be more specific. Iā€™m too lazy to look up a more exact date. You are absolutely correct that the battery needs to be replaced because it has reached itā€™s discharge/recharge cycle limit. Iā€™ve not done that because Iā€™ve not been willing to give up my Connect Clip for whatever time it might take to replace the battery. Instead itā€™s kept plugged in continually to a cell phone sized power pack. I could replace the battery in minutes because I"m skilled at working with and soldering mini/micro printed boards and have the necessary equipment. In the on rush of tomorrow I just havenā€™t taken the time to get a suitable Li-Po battery.

If anyone has a Connect Clip they donā€™t use and would like to sell, Iā€™m in the market.
That would give me a bridge to get the battery in my existing Connect Clip replaced by Oticon.

I have been following this thread for awhile. I had a connect clip while auditioning the OPN and it never gave me a problem.

I do not believe the OP is disputing battery life or any of that. He is upset that Oticon stated that they would replace batteries in the connect clipā€¦they indicated battery service was available for the unit. Then when the OP attempted to have a battery service done, he was told that Oticon did not do battery service on connect clips. As such, it makes the deviceā€¦disposable. That is not what he agreed to in the sale. As such it is, by letter, a scam. I donā€™t believe the intention was there. Oticon made it right after some pressure. As such, perhaps Oticon doesnā€™t deserve the vitriol existent in this postā€¦

As a fyi,
I wear Resound products and use their Phone Clip extensively at work. I have three that I cycle through. I bought one through my audiologist. The rest, off eBay. I have about 5 of them all told. I had one order that was bad and the merchant accepted a return and refund. When one gets to the point it wont hold a charge, I will crack it open and see if I can replace the battery.

1 Like

Well from what Iā€™ve gathered Oticon finally gave in on the ā€œConnect Clip Scamā€ and will offer free classes to anyone who wants to learn how to solder battery wires to a new replacement battery for the connect clip. Of course you have to provide your own soldering iron and replacement battery since Oticon is ā€œpaying out of pocketā€ for free soldering training classes.

Good humor, hold4triple! I ruined the first few micro circuit boards on which I was instructed. Itā€™s an infuriating and expensive learning curve. At my age I need hearing aids, bifocals, and a stereo microscope to solder anything smaller than 18 gauge wire.

Ummmā€¦I donā€™t know it eitherā€¦

it is only a scam because you believe it is.

1 Like

User states issue has been resolved by the manufacturer.