The new Starkey's Xino 70 model

ZCT, thanks…by saying “top of the line Xino” that has 2.0 of the voice IQ system, would that be the Xino 110, 90, or 70? 110 is the most expensive(maybe because more bands available and has maximum feedback cancellation of 20dB power) but I have been told that with my severe loss I don’t need that much features and would be find with just Xino 70, what do you think?

When I read the specification for each model in the Starkey website, it says that the X 110 has 20dB noise reduction strength (maximum), while the X90 is 8dB (Moderate), and X70 is 6dB (Light)…if you see my audiogram , will it contribute greatly to improve my ability to hear clearly in noisy situation? I always have been struggling with hearing in noisy environment such as restaurant, party, etc. I have been told that from frequency 3k to 8k I have no hearing at all…is it true?

Also, from what I see in the website, it says that Wi series has “binaural spatial mapping”. While the X series doesn’t have it, instead, it has something called “live speech mapping”…what is the difference between those two “mapping” feature, and which one is more better/useful to improve hearing in the noise and speech clarity…

I would probably argue, the more severe the loss, the more features like this will benefit. On most hearing aids, top of the line has more bells and whistles that give a good hearing professional more opportunities to make you happy.

The Wi has everything the X series has, but then it also has the wireless capabilities such as binaural spacial mapping, the ability to stream data, and remote programming in the office.

As far as I remember there is nothing the X series has that the Wi series doesn’t have. Wi is basically X with the ability for the aids to talk to each other and other gadgets.

Thanks John, can you please give me the link of the website that has many users shared about their experience on how fragile the RIC (receiver in the canal) cords or receiver inside the mold? Now I am thinking twice on getting the RIC and custom mold receiver inside the mold, because I am afraid I have to spend another $200 / earmold when it broke less than 1-2 years…Do you have severe/profound hearing loss as likely as my audigram that I described on my first post above? saying that you have 71 and 65dB receivers, is it enough to give you power? I am trialing using 50dB receiver with bud tip now and feel frustrated because it can’t give me enough power as BTE hearing aids…

Yes I agree on what you think on fishy dealer tactic…that’s why I am being anxious and cautious that my audi would want take an advantage on me by quoting me more expensive price on the hearing aids or molds…do you happen to know how much is Xino 70 costs per aid?

You know top of the line should be sold with three years factory warranty anyway. This would cover you if the receiver breaks or the cord breaks. I’ve not seen this as a frequent problem.

Keep in mind that with a non-RIC aid, if the receiver breaks, it’s typically going to involve a repair charge and being without the aids for a while.

The posts I’ve read about the reliability of receivers and cords was on this forum. I tried to find a good thread but it’s tough because the subject has come up frequently. So if you search you’ll find many hits. But I wanted to find the one in which the professionals chimed in and put my mind at ease, but I could not find it.

My audiogram is in my signature and as you can see, my loss is severe. The 65dB receivers are fine.

One thing I found a bit difficult to get used is how quiet both the Wi and the Futures are.

I am what my audis call a power junkie. I want loud. So I was shocked at how quiet the world was with the WIs and Futures, but still was able to hear much better with better accuracy, all at a lower perceived volume.

Now, I no longer want the wall of sound I was used to. The world is more comfortable place with this new technology.

But the Starkey Wi does not have a 3 year warranty on the receivers does it? If it does, that is a recent change.

They do where I work.

That’s not to say some small independent clinic might try and sell them to you. But unless I am mistaken, during the warranty they can switch them out and send the broken ones back to Starkey for credit at no cost to them. They shouldn’t be charging for this service during the warranty period.

Not covering the receivers would be BS. It would be like buying a TV, but the warranty didn’t cover the loudspeakers in it.

There is a way to get this feature on the lower level Xino aids. If you get a remote control, your audie can set up the special features button (star) as a voice IQ program, and you would be able to get up to 20 dB noise reduction even on the lower priced aids

Actually you are partially correct, if memory serves there is a way of doing what you suggest, but not with a Xino, as those aids are not wireless therefore don’t work with a remote.

audiogal, does this method work for Xino 70? and how much is the price for one hearing aid of Xino 70 that you know?

So you are wearing Resound Future now with 65 dB receiver…the RIC one with the bud tip on the end? so you don’t need special mold for it right? my audi said it might not be enough for me if I use the receiver with bud tip (not mold) because it will cause feedback if he turn up the power to be loud…he said that my ear has to be fully covered with the mold in order to be able to get more power with minimal feedback, and that’s why I need to buy the customer power mold with receiver incased inside the mold…is it true? any thoughts on this…

ZCT, so in your opinion which lower level hearing aid that can work with this remote control method to gain maximum feedback management? Wi? or S series IQ?

No, I have a skeleton mold into which the 65dB receiver fits. But the receiver is removable, so a receiver failure does not require a factor repair.

It works very well. I get less feedback from these aids than any I have had in the past. Even the Starkey Wi would feed back more that these do.

John, do you have BTE or RIC type? the tubing that connect your hearing aid to the mold, is it thin or thick?
What is the skeleton mold… is it made from soft silicon material like the regular mold?
Since you have severe hearing loss, most likely your audi will recommend you to use conventional/regular mold that made from soft silicon and can fully cover your whole ear, isn’t it…the reason is by using that kind of earmold it would maximize the power…
From what I know skeleton mold still has a hole on it…

Oh you’re right, that was on the regular line of the new aids, not the xino style

It’s not a question of opinion, the Wi is the only range of aids made by Starkey that can talk to a remote. So if the solution involves a remote, only the Wi will work.

I have RIC, or maybe I should say RIM (receiver in mold). The mold is a hard plastic skeleton mold. The mold seals the ear up, but I do have a small pressure vent. I’ve had full shell and half shell over the years, but the skeleton is the best so far.

I get ample power, almost no feedback, and decent bass. Although sometimes I plug up the vents with tissue if I want to maximize bass while listening to music.

I don’t have enough experience with Starkey to be able to comment on their feedback system.

However I can say that Phonak & Unitron now deliver aids with excellent feedback managers.

I suspect that you will probably have little in the way of feedback issues with most modern products from the key players.